• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How bad is ultra despair girls?

• Terrible don't play it even if free

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Bad but ok to try since its cheap

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • The haters are crazy it was worth at full price.

Votes: 22 27.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
My question has been answered no more replies necessary thank you everyone who answered
Original op.
Please don't spoil the danganronpa series I have only completed The first game.

I have finished trigger happy havoc (10/10 love it might make a full lttp thread about it.). Now I am working my way through 2 and notice ultra despair is on sale for 67% off.

I own 1, 2 , and version 3 but did not buy ultra because people said it was weird and bad.

is it bad at full price or so bad don't even pay 10 bucks for it?

P.S. how bad is Danganronpa 3 the anime (don't spoil)

Last edited:

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
No, It's really not worth playing. Also your black text is really hard to read on the dark theme.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
It's been quite a while since I played, but I think it's worth 10 bucks. IIRC, it's between DG1 and DG2 so it's better for you to have completed both before playing.

That being said, I consider the gameplay to be a kind of puzzle shooter. Use your head a bit and you can clear the room out of all enemies without any issues. The actual shooting is subpar.
The story is below both DG1 and DG2, but I didn't thought it was bad either.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
UDG is basically if you want more Danganronpa side stories or info on characters.

I would not recommend it unless you are a big danganronpa fan

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I will say as an RE4 clone it's Not Bad (but then I would play almost any RE4 clone that was decent).

I thought the story ranged between iffy and downright uncomfortable at times. And I played all three main Danganronpa games and generally loved them.

It's hard to recommend, to be honest, even if you're starved for more from the series. Absolutely do play DG2 first if you do go for it though.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah the game is batshit crazy and has some of the best character development in the series

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It has really uncomfortable subject matter and doesn't know how to handle that fact at all. It's worth it if you're super in to Danganronpa but otherwise I don't think I can recommend it.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice worldbuilding game, and I legit enjoyed first-time perfecting the puzzles. If you're into Danganronpa lore, it's at least worth playing.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I only ended up getting it at $20 but it was definitely worth it. One of the best sismances (or whatever the female version of bromance is) in gaming. Really liked the atmosphere and world it build up to. Game play was okay.
It should be noted though that this should be played after Danganronpa 2, as otherwise it'll spoil major twists in 2.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore it.

The atmosphere, music and protagonists relationships are great and fun. The gameplay and level design is meh.

With that said, the story is really disgusting due to a couple of things so I can't recommend it.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just watch the scenes on youtube

Play danganronpa 2 first though

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really liked the game.

But I'm really a fan of a certain character with glasses. So it's a incredible experience to me. There's a lot of Easter eggs too about characters/world building from the first game.

Is not a perfect game, if you like the series for characters/story I think you can enjoy it.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa is one of my favorite franchises, like, as a whole and I can say that no, there's no need to play it.
If you want to know the events then this video does a good job summarizing it as some details are important for the anime.

Now you can go watch the D3 anime to get your dose of the trash side of Danganronpa instead 😊

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO no, check a summary on YouTube.

Also, you need to play Danganronpa 2 first or you will be greatly spoiled (or confused at least)

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't too bad even on vita with those shitty analog sticks and a rough framerate. Ive definitely played worse japanese shooters lol

Verhai

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was great at the time on Vita and looked great. Playing it right now though I'd advise against. Just watch a summary of on YouTube there was a lot of filler info in that game that can be summarised in minutes. The level design especially got very egregious throughout the game.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
No spoilers
I also hear danganronpa 3 is bad is this better or worse? Will I even enjoy the series when I reach V3?
No Spoilers

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also hear danganronpa 3 is bad is this better or worse? Will I even enjoy the series when I reach V3
No Spoilers
Danganronpa 3 is the anime series which is trash that you should leave in the trash and not consider watching. It is tied to the first two games and UDG. It basically ruins the two games (and the things UDG did right).

Danganronpa V3 however, is amazing and one of the best if not the best. Definetly play it. It is a whole new story unrelated to the other games.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Outside a few missteps (read: half of Chapter 3), DRAE is a great DanRon game with a ton of good character development between Touko and Komaru. It's miles ahead of V3 at the very least which starts out with so much potential and refuses opportunity it gets to become interesting.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Just watch the cutscenes online, frankly, if you want to know the plot. I like DR more than I think the vast majority of this forum does, but UDG's gameplay is... exceedingly not great.

All the mainline games are good, and V3 is the best (people will disagree strongly with me, as they will no matter which game you say is the best).
UDG is weird as all hell, but still worth watching online.
Danganronpa 3 is a sometimes mediocre, sometimes pretty okay anime that you really don't have to watch if you don't want to.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think it's fine, and I liked the game.

The biggest problem, I think, is there is some questionable subject matter in the middle of the game, and that's going to be a very personal decision whether you can get past it or not. I don't think anyone can really advise you on whether you'll accept that bit or not.

Besides that, it's a mediocre but not terrible shooter that fleshes out some characters from DanganRonpa 1 and 2 (despite it taking place before DR2 you'll want to have played both before you play this). The second biggest issue is that it's pretty long for a shooter, especially one that doesn't feel the best mechanically, so this plays better if you have a high tolerance for this sort of thing. The partnership between Komaru and Toko is really good, and the story's not bad either, though already you can feel the diminishing returns from shoving Monokuma in everything and from trying to maintain the whole "DESPAAAAAAAAAAIR" thing. Overall, I think it's a pretty flawed game, but it's interesting, which makes it better than a lot of stuff to me. At $10, I'd totally recommend it, and while I think it's a harder sell at full price I don't feel like I got cheated by buying it at launch.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I mean danganronpa 3 The anime which comes first. I am asking will I hate the series by the time I reach v3

It definitely had issues, but I still liked it though. It fucks up a lot of stuff from previous games by reversing them and also over explains stuff that really didn't need explaining, so how much you like it will depend significantly on how great you think the stuff in the previous games was and how much you dislike the anime messing with it.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
No spoilers
I also hear danganronpa 3 is bad is this better or worse? Will I even enjoy the series when I reach V3?
No Spoilers
D3 was bad but I didn't hate my time with it. I liked the Despair arc due to some character interactions and it gave... closure to things I guess even if it didn't do that well.
V3 is essentially a soft reboot tho and is easily the best in the series so I think you'll be fine.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
You don't even need to know the story from UDG. The characters only appear in the crappy anime for like a minute only to acknowledge their existence and then they are forgotten into oblivion.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
maybe the anime is bad on purpose so we the viewer feel despair.

also there's a special watch order or something right?

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised the game is even allowed to be discussed here because calling it problematic would be an understatement.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mediocre third person shooter that tackles some problematic elements poorly, but is carried by the chemistry of its two protags.

If you got $10 to blow, then sure try it out, but it's easily the worst Danganronpa game.

And Danganronpa 3 (anime) is godawful. It tries to be a satisfying conclusion to the first 2 games (+Zero and UDG) and fails on all fronts. If not for some of the shittier manga spinoffs, I would say it was the worst thing about the franchise.

V3 is polarizing. You either love it or hate it. I'm in the love it camp.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I recorded a sex scene for this game so goddammit, yes.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks because I love Toko and want to know more about the Future Foundation and the Remnants and whatnot... but everyone says the game is dogshit and I don't feel like wasting my time lol

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
w
would you recommend I pretend another episode and 3 don't exist and skip straight to V3?

my problem for me is it's hard for me to skip stuff even when it's bad.

I mean nothing stops you from playing it. I understand wanting to watch/play/see everything, I'm the same way often. But I couldn't bring myself to play those.

I liked the anime so I wouldn't recommend skipping it, but a lot of people didn't like it. The anime felt a lot more interwoven with what happens in the games and it explains some stuff. But all in all, you can pretty much play Danganronpa 1 - 2 and V3 and be ok.

For the record, I'm in the "Loved it" team for V3. But a lot of people hated it as well. Polarizing to say the l east.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It plays fine for a budget japanese game, it has a great OST and the dynamic between the two main characters is surprisingly good.

It has awful pacing and some of its story beats are trash though.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful, so i'd say play it.

There are some questionable story beats, including one specific pointless minigame that could rub people the wrong way. The dumbest thing this series has done imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.