• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Yeah and both of them were fighting games and SFV shipped before the RE Engine.

They're not gonna use it for their big projects from now on.

And even a game like SFV which wasn't pushing anything wasn't a flawless 60fps experience on PS4. Same story for Tekken.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Still wish UE4 would implement C# as an option, would switch to it for my main engine (except for VR work)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As a consumer, I've found it to be an extremely versatile and overall very positive engine for games to be developed on.

Can't at all speak to the development side of things, though.

Feb 8, 2018
Devs are benefiting from it already but improved geometry and ray tracing alone will make a noteable difference in the future. But yeah exclusive games won't be easy to beat.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Been using UE4 as long as its been around. I've worked with a few engines, and nothing has been as powerful or robust (from a technical art perspective) as UE4. It's so tasty. I did have a soft spot for UE3 back in the day, though.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I have used UE4 since the first QA Builds they released years ago and have been impressed since. It might not be perfect, but it's pretty much a no brainer for any company that can't afford to build and support a current (or by now, next) gen engine. And that's a lot of companies.

More than just several games suffer massive performance problems. So I actually prefer non UE games and don't rate the UE4 that high for anything past indie/niche games.
Care to post some examples of such massive performance problems in more than just several games?

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd disagree on that. The bigger AAA companies have their own internal engines because UE is holding them back in one way or another.

There are plenty of reasons you wouldn't want to go with UE at a certain scale. Licensing it likely limits your distribution of the title in the future, the engine might not be what works best with your production pipeline, implementing non-standard features usually involves Epic intervention, and optimizing games for it can be a pain in the ass.

I am sure folks in the development community could provide more reasons.

UE4 is a fantastic engine. RE Engine is a fantastic engine. Frosbite (in the right hands) is a fantastic engine. Ubisoft's Anvil Engine is a fantastic engine.

The list can go on and on...

Though I think we can all agree Bethesda's Creation Engine needs some serious work.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I have used UE4 since the first QA Builds they released years ago and have been impressed since. It might not be perfect, but it's pretty much a no brainer for any company that can't afford to build and support a current (or by now, next) gen engine. And that's a lot of companies.

Care to post some examples of such massive performance problems in more than just several games?

Perhaps you want to check Digital Foundry performance checks of UE4 games.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Perhaps you want to check Digital Foundry performance checks of UE4 games.
Yeah, I'm not gonna go through all the videos to check this. From the games I've played that used UE4, the only one that I thought had BAD performance was Days Gone (and that's on the base PS4, I know the Pro handles it better). That's about it, some other games might have issues here and there but not much terrible performance I can think of. And if that's how you back your point, then for now I'm not believing you, sorry.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know early UE4 games had a lot of issues, but I chalk that up to worse support and less documentation. Unlike UE3, the engine has superb examples of games from a breadth of genres. Like any game, it just requires a team with intent to optimize for the end user.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I remember UE3 games looking rather identical to one another. UE4 shows a lot of visual variety which is awesome.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm not gonna go through all the videos to check this. From the games I've played that used UE4, the only one that I thought had BAD performance was Days Gone (and that's on the base PS4, I know the Pro handles it better). That's about it, some other games might have issues here and there but not much terrible performance I can think of. And if that's how you back your point, then for now I'm not believing you, sorry.

Why would I waste my time with providing examples if you would handwave them away anyway. Yoshi's Crafted World is a technical joke. Fighting games having problems reaching a steady 60fps experience on consoles (or even PC) etc..

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Literally minimized UE4 to read this thread.

I absolutely love it, quirks aside. An incredible piece of software, and Epic is definitely using Fortnite to make it even better with every iteration. I love it.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves also uses UE4

hatkj8xi5umpnxu7sskc.gif

YDuEpfN.gif

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Why would I waste my time with providing examples if you would handwave them away anyway. Yoshi's Crafted World is a technical joke. Fighting games having problems reaching a steady 60fps experience on consoles (or even PC) etc..
Why do you assume I would hand wave them?
Yoshi's Crafted World is a technical joke, gotcha. I have only played the demo but I haven't heard many good things either indeed. Your second statement is already vague though, and that's it for your statement.

You shouldn't come here, say something and then not back it up when asked. It's not that I don't believe you, but I haven't seen that many titles with massive performance issues. In fact, after playing the demo of Yoshi, I didn't feel like it had "massive performance issues". I know the resolution was pretty low, but the game seemed to run pretty smoothly.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The idea that UE4 even works on a Switch with such a paltry GPU and CPU is impressive, and even in the DF video for Yoshi's Crafted World, the author expresses as much. Additionally, a good number of technically ambitious or accomplished titles are also on the platform using the same technology. Dameon x Machina is another example of "shouldn't the Switch's CPU be lighting on fire?"

As for fighting games and stable performance, Street Fighter 5 and Dragonball Fighter Z are played professionally at venues where experts are scrutinizing every frame for issues beyond their control. I have yet to hear of either of those games being ripped from the line-up (which they absolutely do if a game just sucks on respective hardware).

UE4 is a performance hungry engine, that doesn't make the technology inherently bad. The vast majority of the time, a game having inconsistent performance comes down to a developer purposefully prioritizing certain things over others. We all wish every dev could pour over the code, eliminate every redundancy, and playtest the most modest hardware for a locked 60 FPS, but it is difficult.

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I am not sure what the animosity towards UE4 that some people exhibit here. I mean, its definitely the engine companies opt to use for a lot of major AAA games (especially in Japan), so while there are a lot of great engines out there that were listed before, most of those aren't really versatile in the sense that they are not available to be licensed (can companies license the Anvil engine? DICE? etc) and we don't know what kind of versatility they would have if they were available to be licensed.

We all heard about Frostbite troubles with Anthem from Kotaku and other places and I am sure other engines would exhibit the same issues: https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Personally, while not every game has to use UE4, I am happy that a lot of games use it. It provides for a good cost vs benefit ratio and after the disaster that was the Luminous engine (for SE anyways), they don't really want to start developing in-house engines again.

I have a bad experience with Unity games and don't consider that engine to be anywhere near as robust as UE. In fact, when I see the Unity logo, my mind automatically switches to "low production" predictive mode.

Is UE4 the most technologically advanced and innovative engine out there? Hard to tell. I would definitely love to see someone license the HZD engine and prove how versatile that thing can be. Could it look as awesome and perform as well if it was built on UE4? GoW engine should be awesome too.

I'd disagree on that. The bigger AAA companies have their own internal engines because UE is holding them back in one way or another.

Do you have a breakdown of these features? Aren't most modern engines customizable enough that you can swap features in-and-out and implement them as needed? It sounds you just don't like UE4 for some reason.

Last edited:

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
UE4 improved so much over the years especially on consoles after the release of Fortnite, older versions wasn't great on consoles but newer versions now great

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something weird about Unreal engine games, that has bothered me for a long time, you walk up and talk to people in first person and they always look really short.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It came a long way from the classic "oh its an unreal engine 3 game so after I load this level everything will have shit textures for like 10 seconds and then everything pops in" days :)

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
can companies license the Anvil engine? DICE?

Do you have a breakdown of these features? Aren't most modern engines customizable enough that you can swap features in-and-out and implement them as needed? It sounds you just don't like UE4 for some reason.

Licensing internal engines is difficult, as they usually rely on internal-only systems and backends to work.
I love UE, use it on an almost daily basis at home. ;)

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Licensing internal engines is difficult, as they usually rely on internal-only systems and backends to work.
I love UE, use it on an almost daily basis at home. ;)
Since you are at Dice, how would it compare to Frostbite? I am sure the issues with Anthem did not help its reputation much.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Since you are at Dice, how would it compare to Frostbite? I am sure the issues with Anthem did not help its reputation much.

I will not go into then Anthem thing, but what reputation are you exactly talking about? It's an internal tool that nobody outside of EA has access to.

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I will not go into then Anthem thing, but what reputation are you exactly talking about? It's an internal tool that nobody outside of EA has access to.
Well, Frostbite is seen by many in the industry to be really inflexible so it doesn't have as solid of a reputation as say UE4 and as you said, its not really licensable so there is no way to really gauge how flexible it could be when applied to games that were made with UE4 (heavily customizable or not) in different genres (i.e. Fortnite, FF7R, Octopath Traveller, etc) but it doesn't help that if Frostbite WAS licensable, that even DICE struggled internally with making it work with its own games, thats what I meant by reputation. But you are right, since its not licensable I guess its a non-issue as far as anything outside EA is concerned.

Are you working with UE4 as part of an internal project or as a hobby? Did you work with other engines too? How does it compare to those other engines? There are a lot of great engines out there, from the one for GoW to HZD to many other great games and I would be ecstatic to see more games made on those engines, but it doesn't appear that they are licensable, just like Frostbite isn't which limits their applicability.