• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Say whatever you want about amazing graphic, lighting, special effect or games running with ~100 players online at 60fps, but nothing compare to Tetris Ultimate shipping in the state it did on PS4:

Mod Edit: Removed content with banned creator

There are version of this game that have been running at 60fps with perfect performance on 20+ years old hardware, what they managed to do with this version is unimaginable. Kudos to the developers for the amazing work, the multi billions publisher that thought this was ok and Sony's quality assurance being so open minded.

Is there any other full release game that even come close to this?

Last edited by a moderator:

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Wasn't the cause of this issue due to doing too frequent backend webservice checks? I seem to recall it all being the fault of the "online services" shipped with the game.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
I was excited about this when it was announced and then so disappointed to find out it was broken trash.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
The only good thing to come out of this trashfire was Tetris Company lapsing Ubisoft license (it seems) and that led to Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris Effect, and Tetris 99 being allow to be bought and sold physically.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing to come out of this trashfire was Tetris Company lapsing Ubisoft license (it seems) and that led to Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris Effect, and Tetris 99 being allow to be bought and sold physically.
yeah, overall it seems like the tetris company has decided to have more quality control recently (or they've just gotten lucky with the recent batch of console games which have all been great).

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we have a few games at the time have this same issue where offline games ran better? I think we still have this issue today.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever directed this - Put his name up there! - He deserves to be mentioned amongst the Miyamotos, Sakaguchis, Kojimas and other all timers.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Say whatever you want about amazing graphic, lighting, special effect or games running with ~100 players online at 60fps, but nothing compare to Tetris Ultimate shipping in the state it did on PS4:

Mod Edit: Removed content with banned creator

There are version of this game that have been running at 60fps with perfect performance on 20+ years old hardware, what they managed to do with this version is unimaginable. Kudos to the developers for the amazing work, the multi billions publisher that thought this was ok and Sony's quality assurance being so open minded.

Is there any other full release game that even come close to this?

Just FYI - QA has nothing to do with why a game releases so poorly, much less internal Sony QA.

QA's job is to flag the bugs, not fix them. Games launch with bugs flagged by QA ALL the time and it's always a production decision on whether the devs will fix the bugs or not. By blaming QA, you are blaming minimum wage employees who are treated like shit who have no control over the situation.

I've worked on games where I bugged game-breaking blockers or character teleportation issues but the developers marked them was "Won't Fix" because they thought they were "rare" or unlikely to occur in normal gameplay. Sure enough, the second someone uploads a YouTube video of the bug that gets a million views - the bug becomes prime "Fix candidate" material for the next patch.

Also, "Sony QA", which is really the certification team, doesn't check a games frame rate nor is it their job to. All the care about is such as the game making sure it doesn't brick the system, that the game isn't a security risk to players accounts, etc which are all far more impactful than the framerate. As far as I know, the only framerate checks that do happen are for VR, because low-framerate VR has the potential to make people extremely ill.

This is the same process (with similar checks) for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

S2PID

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, that's Puyo Puyo Tetris. The first Tetris to have a story and characters worth caring about.

From what I've seen over the years though, this somehow ended up being a point against the game lol. Some people "just want to play Tetris", so having characters shout their attacks ranges from being a distraction to completely grating. For better or for worse, the Tetris brand these days is defined by being extremely simplistic/zen.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's a pretty bad rendition of a classic, and whilst Tetris Effect has the best soundtrack, nothing makes my skin jitter and pulls me out of my high with such force the way Tetris Ultimates weird ass Tetris arrangement does. It's nightmare fuel