• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Tubthumping by Chumbawamba the best 1 hit wonder song of the 90s?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I love 80's and 90's 1 hit wonders...

I have a playlist just for US 90's OHW's. I realize that SOME of these bands might be bigger in other countries, but they didn't chart or have radio play here in the US other than the song listed. So don't come at me, lol.

Aqua - Barbie Girl
Better Than Ezra - Good
Blessid Union of Souls - Hey Leonardo (She likes me for me)
Blind Melon - No Rain
Blur - Song 2
Candlebox - You
Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
Cornershop - Brimful of Asha
Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
Deee-Lite - Groove is in the Heart
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
Del Amitri - Roll to Me
Digital Underground - Humpty Dance (this one is probably stretching it, never heard anything else from them though)
Dinosaur Jr. - Feel the Pain
Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
DJ Kool - Let me Clear my Throat
Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
Duncan Sheik - Barely Breathing
Eagle-Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Elastica - Connection
Everything But the Girl - Missing
Go West - The King of Wishful Thinking
Haddaway - What is Love
Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
The Heights - How Do You Talk to an Angel
Jesus Jones - Right Here, Right Now
La Bouche - Be My Lover
Len - Steal My Sunshine
Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You
Lou Bega - Mambo #5
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Meat Puppets - Backwater
New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Positive K - I Got a Man
Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand
Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
The Refreshments - Banditos
Republica - Ready to Go
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome
Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home
Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me
Skee Lo - I Wish
Snow - Informer
Tal Bachman - She's So High
Tonic - Open Up Your Eyes
Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You
Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Verve Pipe - The Fresman
White Town - Your Woman
Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker
69 Boyz - Tootsee Roll

I gotta say it anyway. No universe where Dinosaur Jr. belongs on this list, friend. J Mascis is a living guitar god, even in the US. Decidedly indie/underground, but not a OHW.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I'm going to go with No Rain by Blind Melon

youtu.be

Blind Melon - No Rain

Blind Melon "No Rain" official music video from the album Blind Melon. Heather DeLoach plays the tapdancing "Bee Girl." Directed by Samuel Bayer. Subscribe t...
Chumbawamba is awesome though!

American Hi-Fi - Flavor of the Weak

Was always being played by the bar bands by me. I haven't been to a bar for a while though…
That came out in 2000.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I absolutely LOVE Tubthumping, but they're not a 1 hit wonder. Their followup song Amnesia from the same album charted in the top 10 or top 20.

www.youtube.com

Chumbawamba - Amnesia

Here's a better quality version of this awesome song than is on here already.This should have been twice as popular as "Tubthumping" :-(

Also, I'm thinking Video Unavailable has to be a one hit wonder because people here keep referencing it but I don't see any other songs by the same artist.

Last edited:

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
We had a 90's one hit wonder thread a long time ago that was fucking 10 pages. It was the decade of one hit wonders. Fuck that and Bittersweet Symphony are up there.

Sex and Candy is up there. Closing time probably rounds out that final 4. Actually make it 5 Two Princes has to be included
Spin Doctors (singers of Two Princes) were huge for awhile--definitely not one-hit wonders. Little Miss Can't Be Wrong was gigantic. Their lead singer Chris Barron is a good follow on social media, too.

One Week? No way are Barenaked Ladies a one-hit wonder!

My fave 1-hit wonder ever is The Way by Fastball and I think that was the 90's. Love that song.

Out of My Head and Fire Escape were both hits.

Some good shouts in this thread but it's You Get What You Give by New Radicals - legendary song.

Or if you want more cheese; Mmmbop by Hanson
Hanson also had Where's the Love? and I Will Run to You hit pretty big.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I GET KNOCKED DOWN
BUT I GET UP AGAIN
BUT I GET KNOCKED DOWN
AGAIN
BUT I GET UP AGAIN
YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET KNOCKED UP AGAIN
YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET KNOCKED DOWN

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, considering his follow-up single was top 5 in at least 9 countries.
lmao firstly that is a huge step down in comparison.

Secondly, Life (Everybody Needs Somebody to Love) was only that big because it coasted off the insane success of What Is Love.

Haddaway quite instantly fell off the map after that.

So, yeah, really. It's one of the leading examples of a one-hit wonder. Because everyone expected a What Is Love pt. 2 is irrelevant. If anything, it makes the case stronger.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Video unavailable. Watch on YouTube.

Ad infinitum.

People, please, you only need to paste the link a second time in your post to remedy this. That's all you need to do. Just a raw link, no formatting needed. One second of your time and we can make the world these kind of threads a better place.

Props to the people who already do this.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
lmao firstly that is a huge step down in comparison.

Secondly, Life (Everybody Needs Somebody to Love) was only that big because it coasted off the insane success of What Is Love.

Haddaway quite instantly fell off the map after that.

So, yeah, really. It's one of the leading examples of a one-hit wonder. Because everyone expected a What Is Love pt. 2 is irrelevant. If anything, it makes the case stronger.

Haddaway had 4 top 10s in the UK and another 2 Top 40s.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Set Adrift on Memory Bliss by PM Dawn.

Can't remember if it ever got to no 1, but I distinctly remember listening to the UK Top 40 on Radio 1 and the top three were PM Dawn, I'm Too Sexy and Everything I Do, I Do For You.

All pop classics, and two bonafide one hit wonders!

Ride of Time by Black Box, if that's not been mentioned.

Dear god now understand the song OP mentions, dear god it all makes so much sense

bill-johnson-meme.gif

I get knocked down, but I get up again...

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

I have a playlist just for US 90's OHW's. I realize that SOME of these bands might be bigger in other countries, but they didn't chart or have radio play here in the US other than the song listed. So don't come at me, lol.

Aqua - Barbie Girl
Better Than Ezra - Good
Blind Melon - No Rain
Blur - Song 2
Candlebox - You
Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
Del Amitri - Roll to Me
Digital Underground - Humpty Dance (this one is probably stretching it, never heard anything else from them though)
Elastica - Connection
Haddaway - What is Love
La Bouche - Be My Lover
Len - Steal My Sunshine
Lou Bega - Mambo #5
Meat Puppets - Backwater
Positive K - I Got a Man
Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand
Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
Republica - Ready to Go
Skee Lo - I Wish
Snow - Informer
Verve Pipe - The Fresman
White Town - Your Woman
69 Boyz - Tootsee Roll

It's a pretty good list but I've got a couple issues. Even by your standard Del Amitri doesn't count as a OHW. Always the Last to Know was their breakout hit in the US and reached #30 which means a ton of airplay on top 40 stations. It's literally the first song that comes to mind when I hear them mentioned.

And Tonic. Open Up Your Eyes was their first single on that album but it only reached 68. If You Could Only See got to #11

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Ad infinitum.

People, please, you only need to paste the link a second time in your post to remedy this. That's all you need to do. Just a raw link, no formatting needed. One second of your time and we can make the world these kind of threads a better place.

Props to the people who already do this.

I went back and fixed mine just for you.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Haddaway had 4 top 10s in the UK and another 2 Top 40s.
It's irrelevant really.
Screenshot-20220514-142543-Samsung-Internet.png

Haddaway falls off a cliff very quickly after What Is Love. Next someone's gonna say "he had a top 100 hit in 2009!" lmao

What Is Love is like the epitome of a one-hit wonder. It's one of /the/ classic examples. It's honestly not debatable. You can clearly see the follow-up singles coasted solely off his first and then into irrelevancy he went. And swiftly. Everything else is a blip on the radar.

Edit* I just noticed most of the blips later on are just other iterations of What Is Love lmaoo

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
It's irrelevant really.
Screenshot-20220514-142543-Samsung-Internet.png

Haddaway falls off a cliff very quickly after What Is Love. Next someone's gonna say "he had a top 100 hit in 2009!" lmao

What Is Love is like the epitome of a one-hit wonder. It's one of /the/ classic examples. It's honestly not debatable. You can clearly see the follow-up singles coasted solely off his first and then into irrelevancy he went. And swiftly. Everything else is a blip on the radar.

Edit* I just noticed most of the blips later on are just other iterations of What Is Love lmaoo

"That he had lots more hits proves he's a one hit wonder" is not the masterstroke of an argument you appear to think it is. 2,6,9,9 is 4 strong hits.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
It's a pretty good list but I've got a couple issues. Even by your standard Del Amitri doesn't count as a OHW. Always the Last to Know was their breakout hit in the US and reached #30 which means a ton of airplay on top 40 stations. It's literally the first song that comes to mind when I hear them mentioned.

And Tonic. Open Up Your Eyes was their first single on that album but it only reached 68. If You Could Only See got to #11
Oops, you are correct about Tonic. I actually have their other song, but it wasn't in my phone for some reason. I knew they had at least 2 singles that got radio play. Del Amitri is a total blind spot, I've never heard that other song you listed.

I gotta say it anyway. No universe where Dinosaur Jr. belongs on this list, friend. J Mascis is a living guitar god, even in the US. Decidedly indie/underground, but not a OHW.
Yeah, I have blind spots left and right for music. I guess my main definition of One Hit Wonder is any band that got radio play in the US on the major 'current' radio stations in the 90's, but only that one song or had one music video on MTV and that was it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
"That he had lots more hits proves he's a one hit wonder" is not the masterstroke of an argument you appear to think it is. 2,6,9,9 is 4 strong hits.
It's pure facts. The comet trail-effect is the only reason people cared directly after What Is Love. That song is on like every single one-hit wonder list from the '90s for good reason.

But whatever, I'm dropping this.

For true one-hit wonders, look to Vangelis' Chariots of Fire and Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy.

Classics.
m.youtube.com

Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire

Music video by Vangelis performing Chariots Of Fire. (C) 1981 Universal Music International BV / Polydor (UK) Ltd.http://vevo.ly/icpo2E#Vangelis #ChariotsOfF...

Don't think we need a video for Don't Worry Be Happy lol

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's not because Tubthumping isn't even a good song. It's awful.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has helped me adjust what I previously thought were the criteria for a one hit wonder, and I'm gonna go with Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I know they've sold a bunch of records. It's just the only song that broke through the mainstream in the US was Lovefool.
Lovefool was definitely their biggest song because of the movie tie in, but in the UK at least Erase/Rewind, My Favourite Game and their cover of Talking Heads "Burning Down The House" were all very big. The latter two in particular were those kind of music videos that the music channels would play a ton lol

Doesn't surprise me too much that Lovefool was the only one to really break through in the US though! Sorry, just one that bothered me because I like the band a lot lol

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Aqua - Barbie Girl
Better Than Ezra - Good
Blind Melon - No Rain
Blur - Song 2
Candlebox - You
Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
Del Amitri - Roll to Me
Elastica - Connection
Haddaway - What is Love
La Bouche - Be My Lover
Len - Steal My Sunshine
Lou Bega - Mambo #5
Meat Puppets - Backwater
Positive K - I Got a Man
Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
Republica - Ready to Go
Skee Lo - I Wish
Snow - Informer
Verve Pipe - The Fresman
White Town - Your Woman
69 Boyz - Tootsee Roll
Great songs. So many favorites. 90's is when I fell in love with music.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what my favorite one hit wonder is. What I do know is that about half of the people that have posted in this thread have no idea what a one hit wonder is.

I'll start here since this CD that this was from was actually really good. The CD also achieved platinum status. Tyler, Away, Backslider and I Come From the Water all were played on the radio regularly. A one hit wonder is one song that is played by a person / band and then you never hear anything else from them on the radio ever again.
So I suppose it depends where you are. In the UK, only Possum Kingdom was ever a hit and on the radio.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Doop - Doop is the answer to everything.

For the UK at least I believe it's only the 2nd OHW mentioned by the classical definition in this thread. (Namely was a #1 and the artist never had another top 40 under any name).

For what it's worth I think the only other ones for the 90s by that definition are

Partners in Kryme, Hale and Pace, White Town, Teletubbies, Mr Oizo and Baz Luhrmann. Apparently the Teletubbies is the best selling strict definition OHW of all time.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
So I suppose it depends where you are. In the UK, only Possum Kingdom was ever a hit and on the radio.

Yep, I didn't think of that. The Toadies were pretty big here. In fact, I saw them perform Rubberneck in its entirety right after pandemic restrictions were lifted. I guess it's like an American using Blur's Song 2 as an example. While I love Blur, many Americans only associate them by that 1 song. They usually associate Damon Albarn by his other band.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, I didn't think of that. The Toadies were pretty big here. In fact, I saw them perform Rubberneck in its entirety right after pandemic restrictions were lifted. I guess it's like an American using Blur's Song 2 as an example. While I love Blur, many Americans only associate them by that 1 song. They usually associate Damon Albarn by his other band.
I personally love the whole Toadies discography personally but yeah Possum Kingdom was their only hit here.