• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this in theaters as a kid was a religious experience.

As soon as it came on tv I fucking fired up the VCR and tried to minimize the commercials and then watched it until that tape disintegrated.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly one of the best. Thirty years later I still find myself listening to the whole album.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not a matter of being old.
It's a matter of your tastes being influenced by a particular piece of media at an important time of your life.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
You're old. REALLY old.

I suspect we may be being sitting in the boat in that regard my friend.

It's not a matter of being old.
It's a matter of your tastes being influenced by a particular piece of media at an important time of your life.

Fair enough however, I've seen hundreds of other movies at various ages and stages of life and nothing holds up like this and neither Transformers or Heavy Metal were my favorite thing before or after this movie....well maybe Transformers.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Of all time? It's not even the best of 1986. This isn't to say that it's not a great soundtrack, but even in its year of release it faces stiff competition from other amazing/cheesy, 80's AF soundtracks. The best of '86 was probably Highlander with Top Gun in second. I just don't think I can agree with Dare being better than Princes of the Universe.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get enough of that Prime/Megatron scene. It may be my favorite scene in movies. Takes me back to being a kid.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely amazing, yes. I listen to it fairly regularly via streaming and have it on vinyl as well.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Unicron isn't anything special. He's just a Galactus ripoff."

33 years later, and Galactus still has not matched that audio track. Hasn't come within light years of it. Not even with a major Hollywood movie under his belt, which had 26 times the budget that Transformers The Movie had.

Disney just bought Fox, so Galactus is presumably going to get another shot at taking his crown back, but I don't like his odds.

... Now there's a thought. Hey Disney, if you're listening (and I know you are), get Vince DiCola to score Galactus. He's still available.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
I still love both the soundtrack and the score. I think the style fits better with Transformers than with Rocky 4, which Vince DiCola also did.

Oh, and special shout outs to The Crow and those awesome "vs" soundtracks like Spawn and Judgement Night.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

I legit can't think of a better soundtrack. Now, that might just be how us old people think with our hair metal bands, Big Wheels and huffy bikes. I am willing to listen to the youth on this as well.

Nah, the Batman one with U2 and Seal on the same cd

None of those can top Queen.

It's like you guys never saw Highlander.

There can be only one.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It had a decent soundtrack, but I vastly preferred this little gem:

The Crow would probably be my second favorite if only non scored soundtracks are a consideration.
Purple Rain was also excellent.

None of those can top Queen.

It's like you guys never saw Highlander.

There can be only one.

If you're going to cite Queen, then it can only be with Flash Gordon.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol no, The Touch plays in that scene. Dare only plays when Hot Rod is with Daniel.
"Dare" is (thematically) "you can be" and it's used for Hot Rod's introduction (alongside Daniel) all the way through Hot Rod's initial attack against the shuttle. It's basically Hot Rod's theme song. It's re-used when Hot Rod leads the charge against Unicron.

"The Touch" is (thematically) "you are" and it's used for Optimus Prime's big heroic action scene (cutting out once Megatron starts begging for mercy, as a ploy to get Optimus to drop his guard). It's basically Optimus Prime's theme song. It gets re-used when the spirit of Optimus Prime knights Hot Rod, and runs straight until the end credits music. The Touch becomes Rodimus Prime's theme song, as Rodimus Prime is intended (by the movie, the TV show dropped the ball) to be the new Optimus Prime.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
You're old and correct. Best of the bunch is the Unicron medley. Its probably the default badguy theme in my head (unless the badguy has something similarly good like the Imperial march).

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
"Dare" is (thematically) "you can be" and it's used for Hot Rod's introduction (alongside Daniel) all the way through Hot Rod's initial attack against the shuttle. It's basically Hot Rod's theme song. It's re-used when Hot Rod leads the charge against Unicron.

"The Touch" is (thematically) "you are" and it's used for Optimus Prime's big heroic action scene (cutting out once Megatron starts begging for mercy, as a ploy to get Optimus to drop his guard). It's basically Optimus Prime's theme song. It gets re-used when the spirit of Optimus Prime knights Hot Rod, and runs straight until the end credits music. The Touch becomes Rodimus Prime's theme song, as Rodimus Prime is intended (by the movie, the TV show dropped the ball) to be the new Optimus Prime.

I know that, I was replying to someone who said that Dare plays when Prime fights Megatron, which is obviously not the case.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty damn good, Lion, Stan Bush, Vince DiCola & Weird Al ended up being a fantastic line up

Lion's jazzed up version of the theme got me amped up from the beginning. It's SO GOOD:

Then Vince's superb Unicron theme:

Stan's "Dare" is super energetic:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
And his "The Touch" is rightly famous:

And some classic Weird Al action:

Reuse of the "The Touch" for Rodimus at the climax of the movie is a great touch (ho ho ho)

score01

Oct 27, 2017
You are right OP, it was a great soundtrack.

In general movies used to have great soundtracks, thinking of Rocky IV, Batman, Topgun, the Lost boys and many more.

So what happened to good movie sound tracks?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread is like reliving my childhood. I still have much of the soundtrack on my playlists for when out running. I like Vince deCola's stuff, the 'Escape' section is great.

It's such a vicious piece of marketing in that all but a handful of the old toys in the film (including some of those constantly depicted as hard-to-kill like Brawn or hyper-competent like Prowl) get killed off immediately. It was funny when they had to add 'Optimus Prime will return' at the end though. I saw it at the cinema as a treat for my 8th birthday and struggled to remember the second half after the brutal killing and death scene (with excellent soundtrack) for him.

The Simpsons episodes that mock the constantly updated 'Malibu Stacy' toy line remind me of Mattel/Hasbro (can't remember the publisher now) here, as two years later 'Powermaster Optimus Prime' rocked up, bigger and better than ever :D

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't actually get to watch the movie till I was in my teens despite growing up with the G1 reruns. So I always thought the soundtrack was awful.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dare fucking slaps so by that metric alone the OP is right. Add Vince Dicola and hoo boy.

Everyone disagreeing needs to sit down before they hurt themselves.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love it and both my friend and I both have the CD. In fact it was the first thing I ever ordered in Amazon.

It's cheesy as all fuck tho

ILPRT

Apr 5, 2019
It's in my top 5. It still holds up.

freegifmaker.me_2dt2J.gif

This scene got 6 year old me hyped as hell when The Touch was playing.
FEELS!!!

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Into the Wild is probably the one I've personally listened to the most outside of the film itself.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unicron was just the best. I'm still salty at the reviewers who called it a cheap and nasty cash grab designed to sell a new range of toys. I mean, it was a cash grab, but that isn't to say there was no artistic merit to it. They came up with a god-transformer who transforms into a planet and eats other planets. The battle for Autobot City was a brilliant set-piece. It just brimmed with imagination. The Quintissons and their perverted justice, the second coming of Megatron/Galvatron, the interior of Unicron. It was epic!

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
It's weird to think what could have been when you learn that "The Touch" was written for Stallone's movie Cobra but was unused.

I watched Transformers: The Movie in the theatre when I was 10 so of course it's one of the best soundtracks ever.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Vince Dicola's synth work genuinely elevates it. It doesn't deserve to be anywhere near as good as it is. It was a complete fluke.

(Which is why Transformers has never generated even another half decent music score ever since.)

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Would have been a better sell had you gone with Dare.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Licenced soundtracks? It's pretty good. It's not near the top tho.

Trainspotting, Reseviour Dogs (most Tarantino kills it), Drive, High Fidelity, The Crow, Romeo + Juliet, man with the iron fists,

My personal choice is Judgement night so amazingly 90s

Donnie Darko would be up there as well but I've only ever found the OST not a full licenced soundtrack.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's gotta be something like High Fidelity or Inherent Vice. If you want something a bit more on the "classic" side, Saturday Night Fever's soundtrack is damn incredible too.

Hell, I'd even say the Howard The Duck soundtrack is better than Transformers if we're going by 80s cheese standards.