• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Tom Hardy a good actor?

• Let's not stand on ceremony here

Votes: 139 34.8%
  • SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU (redacted)

Votes: 261 65.3%

• Total voters

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In most of the films I've seen him he's usually doing some weird accent that sometimes sounds incomprehensible, compiled with a bunch of strange grunts and growls.

I did like his hammy performance in Bronson, and he was good in Inception. But sometimes I don't understand what he's going for.

Last edited:

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
uh yes. i think hes a fearless actor that will fucking go for it no matter what, its rare these days

nded

Nov 14, 2017
He was great in Locke. I like that he tries different things even if he doesn't always knock it out of the park.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all ever seen that mothafucka in The Revenant? I watched the entire movie and I didn't even realize it was Tom Hardy.
Yes, just watch Locke.
It's a movie where a dude just drives and talks on the phone and yet it's completely captivating. A lesser actor could not make that movie work.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yes? He is an accomplished character actor?
  • Bane (TDKR)
  • Solomons (Peaky Blinders)
  • Normal guy who argues with Venom (Venom)
  • Max (Fury Road)
  • Fitzgerald (Revenant)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dear god yes. i won't necessarily do cartwheels and backflips over him being the greatest thespian ever but dude has range

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1a661a0873ab99897ccd5f6e3a1d9930.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Hardy's amazing, and he was good on the FX show Taboo as well. The Drop is also one of the best movies ever.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As others are immediately stating, his work in Locke, Bronson, and The Revenant each should have garnered him awards. He was also incredible as Max, hard shoes to fill and he did. Talk about acting through expressions.

Locke is fucking heart wrenching.

yeah and as kinda one-note as Taboo was, it wasn't because of his acting. Forgot about The Drop too- not a good film but he was amazing in it opposite fugging Gandolfini.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes? He is an accomplished character actor?
  • Bane (TDKR)
  • Solomons (Peaky Blinders)
  • Normal guy who argues with Venom (Venom)
  • Max (Fury Road)
  • Fitzgerald (Revenant)

I didn't like his performance in 3 of those films you mentioned. Aside from the TDKR memes.

Hollywood Reporter actually wrote an article talking about Hardy's weird accents.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Why Tom Hardy Can Be So Hard to Understand

In late 2011 when audiences saw the Imax prologue of 'The Dark Knight Rises' ahead of 'Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol,' they made a startling discovery: Many of them couldn't understand Tom Hardy.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
He is a captivating actor. His mannerisms, quirks, and delivery make him a magnetic presence on screen. Look OP, he even made you notice in Inception despite it having one of the best ensemble. You cant take your eyes away.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Watching Bronson gives you a clear answer
1488818896-tom-hardy-bronson.gif

I would not call his performance in that "hammy". What is wrong with you OP

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely is.
His bad performances are almost always very memorable.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Watch that film where he's alone in a car for 1 hour and a half and you're not even bored

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is literally the only reason Venom even remotely worked.
I absolutely loved that movie despite being technically terrible, its entirely on his back.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
No one mentioned Lawless yet?

Great, tense scene in an average movie but it just goes to show tom can make any movie decent with just grunts XD.

Same thing with venom. He can take a crappy movie and make it something worth watching.

To me, being a good actor means you can make anything work when you are on screen. just getting a good role in an already good movie is not hard to pull off. It is when you get a bad role in a bad movie that your skills are put to the test. Denzel washington, leonardo DiCaprio, and a only a few others can do this.

There is no way keanu could have failed in the original matrix because of how well that movie was produced and directed. He literally had to act surprised throughout half of the movie. That's it. And I love keanu btw... But even I could have done that.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is but he reminds me of Johnny Depp where it's clear they get their ideas and are set in them and can't be talked down, which has derailed a few movies. But when it works, it really works.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but he's kinda Johnny Depping himself lately. Growly mumbly similar roles.