• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Is that actually the case for most 3070s though? I thought that predominantly a 3080/3090 related warning.
Yeah looking it up more I thought it was similar to the 3080 and 3090 but looks like you could actually get away with it. Somebody on reddit tried it out with their 500W PSU and at least initial testing worked without anything major.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Is that actually the case for most 3070s though? I thought that predominantly a 3080/3090 related warning.

Just 3080/3090. The 8-pin connector is rated for 324W, with the 75W drawn from the board, it'll work with the 3080 and 3090 but transient load spikes are an issue and can burn out the cables at the weak-point (the single connector at the PSU, not the GPU connectors where the load is split). 3070 is nowhere near dangerous power, and the Founder's Edition actually uses a single 8-pin.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
You'll be fine. The cable is designed to carry the load. Having a dedicated cable per connector would be better but is by no means a deal breaker or dangerous and you should come in under the load by about 100W.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Ok good to know thanks. So, the system will never demand over 435 watts, even with the GPU and CPU at 100% with all the drives accessing data at their full capacity?

Peak usage will never happen while gaming even, unless you are running power virus software to specifically test peak power consumption, you will see 20-30W less than peak while playing even the most demanding games. I don't expect through normal use you will ever see even 435.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Ok good to know thanks. So, the system will never demand over 435 watts, even with the GPU and CPU at 100% with all the drives accessing data at their full capacity?

435W is already calculated with a buffer, since your base load is estimated at 385. Which means you are 115W over the buffered value and 165W over your expected power load. The 385W is for this sort of 100% situation you are describing. You are safe :)

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
don't gush out money for a GPU with a subpar PSU that's asking for trouble in like 1-2 years time. Just think of your PSU as the nutrients bruh, gotta eat your veggies

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Buy a new power supply at the moment your new GPU does a spike it will trigger your current GPU safety system shutting down your PC. Also, make sure that your new power supply exceeds the recommended 650W not just to be saved but in case the next GPU will need more than that.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I have to agree with most answers OP, don't cheap out on the PSU. If you're spending money on a 3070 you'll want to be able to use it to its full potential, so getting a better PSU with the adequate cables is a must. Plus, if you get a great quality one now, it'll last you over 10 years.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
People will never stop coming in with really outdated awful PSU advice so I'm not going to bother further but:

It isn't a matter of opinion if the question is if it is safe. It is safe.

If you want peace of mind and are in a position to upgrade it, that's great.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
People will never stop coming in with really outdated awful PSU advice so I'm not going to bother further but:

It isn't a matter of opinion if the question is if it is safe. It is safe.

If you want peace of mind and are in a position to upgrade it, that's great.

I have to agree with most answers OP, don't cheap out on the PSU. If you're spending money on a 3070 you'll want to be able to use it to its full potential, so getting a better PSU with the adequate cables is a must. Plus, if you get a great quality one now, it'll last you over 10 years.

If I were to buy a new PSU, what's a good one to get? I can afford to buy a new one, I'm just not sure which one to get. For peace of mind I know I'd want 750W in case I upgrade to something as power-hungry as a 3080 later.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
If I were to buy a new PSU, what's a good one to get? I can afford to buy a new one, I'm just not sure which one to get. For peace of mind I know I'd want 750W in case I upgrade to something as power-hungry as a 3080 later.
Go with Thermaltake or anyone made by a recognized brand, but if you are buying with the idea of getting a 3080 later you should go with more than 750W as in the review of that card in LLT Linus he mentioned that it could make some spikes of power that could trigger the power supply safety system, or was that with the 3090? Well just its video before you buy one just to be sure.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Check your PSU PCIE line power amperage. If it's capable of providing 350W over it then you will be fine, unless you run a 16C+ CPU with an OC in that system.
3070 isn't a power hungry card, it consume just 220W which is well within one cable capabilities.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Ignore all the fear mongering in this thread. A modern PSU from Corsair isn't going to damage any of your components, it will have all sorts of over voltage and over current protections built in, you're not "risking" anything. The absolute worst case scenario is your system will shut down during a game and you go off and buy a new PSU. No harm done.

The 3070 is a 220w card, a decent 550w from a quality brand is more than enough, you're CPU isn't going to be drawing 300w. Don't worry about the single cable from your PSU either. A single 8 pin PCIe connector can carry 150w and the card will draw 75w from the slot, a single cable with 2x PCIe connectors is going to be fine.

Speaking as someone actually running a factory overclocked 3070 on a single cable with 2 PCIe connectors, with 4 RAM DIMMs, a 3700x, 2 SSDs and a HDD on a 550w PSU, I can assure you there is no requirement for more than a 550w PSU for a 3070.

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad someone with hard experience has come in to hopefully dissuade some of this PSU fear nonsense.

It's completely ridiculous. We've got posters suggesting that running 350-400w of components on a 1 year old 550w Corsair PSU is going to blow up their machine.

Suggesting creating a heap of a e-waste from a perfectly good 1 year old component. It's really irresponsible. The 3070 isn't a high power draw card.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I'm using 600W with my 3070 and it's fine, I'd also guess a 550W should be fine - But you need two 8-pins, so if your PSU has only one I'd get a new one.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning on upgrading my GPU from a 1660 Super to a 3070, and I'm worried my power supply won't be able to handle it.

Here are my concerns:
  1. My power supply is only 550W - Nvidia recommends a 650W unit but states that lower wattages may work depending on your system
  2. My power supply only has one PCIe power cable that splits off into two 6+2 pin connectors - apparently this is bad but I don't have any other choice so I'm not sure what to do
The rest of my system is a non-OCed Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB of RAM running at 3000 MHz, so in terms of power draw it shouldn't be that high.

The last thing I want to do is damage my computer by drawing too much power. How risky is it to use a daisy-chain 2 x 6+2 cable to connect the 3070 to a 80+ Bronze 550W PSU?

This is the PSU I have in case it helps: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na
You'll want a new PSU

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The power supply is the most important part of your rig. I wish more people would realize this.
Facts were spoken here. I hope people noticed.

Yeah. I've got a Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W with my RTX 3090 and I7 10700k. I want my psu to be running efficiently, not at or near the rated limit.
Yeah, I've had an EVGA T2 1000 for a good while now mostly because I wanted to be in a "better part of the curve."

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Check prices for the EVGA G2 850W or 750W in your region IF your case can fit a 180mm long PSU (check the specs of your case). If not, look for the G3 instead of the G2. It's not as good, but it's still great.

There are of course other great brands but I have experience with EVGA so that's what I can recommend