• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is a determinate why? Are you one of those people who thought RE2 shouldn't have been up for GotY because it was "just a remake."

As much as these titles are overhauling I don't see why that distinction matters they're pretty much brand new games that share story beats.

Chillax. I'm buying FFVII on day one 😋

Someone proclaiming an unbeatable time frame of releases then listing remakes, niche games and games you need VR for is a but much though imo.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty stacked. I had to cancel Persona 5 Royal =( just can't afford it with RE3 and FF7 around the corner.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chillax. I'm buying FFVII on day one 😋

Someone proclaiming an unbeatable time frame of releases then listing remakes, niche games and games you need VR for is a but much though imo.
I just don't see how them being "remakes" somehow makes them a lesser product not worth hyping up especially ones changing as much as RE3 and ESPECIALLY FF7 are.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot Nioh 2 is releasing next week. Definitely picking up it and Final Fantasy VII: Remake + Trials of Mana next month. Grr, too many RPGs.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a great list to the average person imo. FFVII / RE3 are Remakes of 20 year old games, Nioh is quite niche, Ori is on a console a lot of people simply don't own, Alex needs expensive VR most people don't own and Animal Crossing is very marmite.

This year as a whole is great once you add the above to Cyberpunk, TLOU II, Ghost of Tsushima, Halo Infinite and possibly Breath of the Wild 2.
Ori is on Xbox and PC as well as being on Game Pass on PC and console. That's a massive userbase.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
November 19th - December 21st, 1998

Half-Life
Tomb Raider 3
Thief: The Dark Project
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Suikoden 2
Pokémon Trading Card Game
StarCraft: Brood War
Baldur's Gate

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty stacked. I had to cancel Persona 5 Royal =( just can't afford it with RE3 and FF7 around the corner.
giphy.gif

(Nah but seriously hope you enjoy what you do get.)

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
October 26 to November 23 2004 was
  • Half Life 2
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • World of Warcraft
  • Halo 2
  • Jak 3
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Need for Speed: Underground 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Ratchet & Clank: up Your Arsenal
  • Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
  • GTA: San Andreas

And, to boot, in the couple months prior to that, you also had:
  • Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
  • Katamari Damacy
  • Sims 2
  • Burnout 3
  • Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Fable
  • Sly Cooper 2
  • Pikmin 2

(I think late '98 and late '07 would also be contenders)
yeah this won't ever be topped

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a great list to the average person imo. FFVII / RE3 are Remakes of 20 year old games, Nioh is quite niche, Ori is on a console a lot of people simply don't own, Alex needs expensive VR most people don't own and Animal Crossing is very marmite.

This year as a whole is great once you add the above to Cyberpunk, TLOU II, Ghost of Tsushima, Halo Infinite and possibly Breath of the Wild 2.
Resident Evil 2 did goddamn amazing for the casual audience, an immediate sequel will still be great to them.

Also, you wanna get nitpicky with exclusives, we can compare with 2004 as well

Half Life 2 needed a pretty great computer, and WoW needed a great internet connection, both in 2004

Metroid Prime 2 was Gamecube exclusive, a system owned by less people than Xbone(Ori is also on pc gamepass im pretty sure)

what is this "average" person

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Hard to beat 2004.. that was pretty massive. The upxoming one is amazing also.

Feb 7 - Mar 7 in 2017 had some pretty great games to.

Nioh
For Honor
Night in the Woods
Halo Wars 2
Hollow Knight
Horizon Zero Dawn
Breath of the Wild
Nier Automata
Ghost Recon Wildlands

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
  • Half Life 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Halo 2
  • Jak 3
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Katamari Damacy
  • Sims 2
  • Burnout 3
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Fable
  • Sly Cooper 2
  • Pikmin 2

I now know how crazy awesome those games are, but I never played any of them when it was 2004. I literally just got Metroid prime for like 10 with Metroid prime 20. GameCube life.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only interested in one game out of that list. So no?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
One month ago:
Is this the most lackluster Q1 we ever had in gaming?

One month later:
Is this the most stacked 30 days we ever had in gaming?

People like being hyperbolic it seems.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I've been so swamped and out of the gaming news cycle that I don't even recall when exactly FF7R is coming out.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
2001 had several periods with crazy releases

Late September and October
PSO Ver. 2
Silent Hill 2
ICO
Time Crisis 2
DMC
GTA3

Late October to November
THPS3
Soul Reaver 2
Ace Combat 04
Burnout
Dragon Quest 7
SSX Tricky
PGR
Golden Sun
MGS2
DoA3
HALO
Super Monkey Ball
Wario Land 4
Frequency

December
BGDA
Pikmin
Smash Bros Melee
Jak and Daxter
Shadow Hearts
Luigi's Mansion
FFX

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Also, a very strong contender for indie GotY (World of Horror) just came out 2 weeks ago. Well, technically, it's still in early access, but it's a full complete game already and is just getting better with each patch.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Early Q2 2017 might be a good contender. NieR and Persona 5 got released in that time frame, and perhaps more stuff too

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely the most I'll be spending on games for a while. Animal Crossing and Half-Life Alyx, and I'm gonna try getting a Valve Index during the restock

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Can I say it's a little annoying they all come out around the same time. Meanwhile January and February were graveyard.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see how them being "remakes" somehow makes them a lesser product not worth hyping up especially ones changing as much as RE3 and ESPECIALLY FF7 are.

Because some people have already played them so have no interest in them. It's not that hard to understand.

Again I'm there on day one for FFVII, DOOM and AC. I just don't think this particular list is anything special personally.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
2001 had several periods with crazy releases

Late September and October
PSO Ver. 2
Silent Hill 2
ICO
Time Crisis 2
DMC
GTA3

Late October to November
THPS3
Soul Reaver 2
Ace Combat 04
Burnout
Dragon Quest 7
SSX Tricky
PGR
Golden Sun
MGS2
DoA3
HALO
Super Monkey Ball
Wario Land 4
Frequency

December
BGDA
Pikmin
Smash Bros Melee
Jak and Daxter
Shadow Hearts
Luigi's Mansion
FFX
Yeah, 2001 is the answer. Even more so when factoring in the release of 2 new consoles in that time frame.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it sure has a lot of games I'm definitely getting at some point, so personally I'd sort of agree:
- RE3
- FF7
- Ori 2
- Trials of Mana
- P5 Royal

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
- Doom: eternal
- Half Life: Alyx
- Resident Evil 3
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
I still can't believe we're getting these games, let alone in a span of a month. Imagine going back in time 10 years and telling people that Doom is a big deal now, Half Life is getting a VR sequel and RE3 and FF7 have full on remakes.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
The first one already got 89 mc, and the second one looks like a considerable improvement in every possible way.
There has been a total of 4 games with 95+ Metas on PS4 and X1 so far: GTA V, RDR2, TLOU R, and MGS V. Ori isn't joining this club. Not that it matters anyway, like you said I'm sure it will be a great game.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Late October to November 2004 probably wins the contest.

• Half Life 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Halo 2
  • Jak 3
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Katamari Damacy
  • Sims 2
  • Burnout 3
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Fable
  • Sly Cooper 2
  • Pikmin 2

Yeah, 2004 on the whole had so many great games. You did forget to add Ace Combat 5 though. It came out October 25, so it probably belongs on the first list.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas 08.

So packed, so many games underperforming and dropping to half price or less in 1-2 weeks.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
In the spam of one month, we're getting:
- Ori Will of the Wisps
- Nioh 2
- Animal Crossing: New Horizon
- Doom: eternal
- Half Life: Alyx
- Resident Evil 3
- Final Fantasy VII Remake

That's 7 potentially 85+ meta score games less than one month apart, this is, as far as I can remember the most stacked(quality content-wise) release period in the industry ever!
You forgot One Piece Pirate Warriors 4. An already excellent series getting a major retooling including air combos, online coop, proper character scaling with the addition of giant playable bosses(some characters are huge and we're smaller than they should have been in previous games), and map retooling

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty awesome lineup (and Cyberpunk was gonna be a part of it at one point too!). It's probably the most stacked lineup ever for me personally.

I want all of these games, but I'll probably wait until summer for Nioh 2 (just not enough time to play all of these in March/April). And Half-Life Alyx I'll get down the road, I don't have a headset that will play it at the moment.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For me...

Ori Will of the Wisps - Nope, I'm a scrub
Nioh 2 - Didn't like the first one
Animal Crossing: New Horizon - Not for me
Doom: eternal - Oh yeah
Half Life: Alyx - VR=no
Resident Evil 3 - Oh yeah
Final Fantasy VII Remake - I just wish it was on PC, but I'll still look for a good deal

So a lot of good (even great) games, but only two sure things for me.