• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I've heard people whistle the Tetris music in an Ikea parking lot while figuring out how to fit all those boxes into the car.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
47-year-old lifelong gamer. I recognize it, at least. But I'd rank it below at least a couple hundred other songs.

Mario is #1. Every other recognizable song is fighting for extremely distant 2nd place.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
It's Mario Bros, and the second place (that is also not what OP suggested) is not even remotely close.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Fun scrolling through this playing songs for my friend, she definitely instantly got OG Mario over all else. Everything else took a second or two.

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
Mario or Tetris since it still gets references across different shows, movies, etc. Halo theme isn't memorable.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I mean, I've never really played Sonic, but I've heard the theme.

But I did overlook that Halo is more NA centric, but it was on PC.
When and how has it been accessible on PC? I know about the MC collection but I am ignorant enough to not know about it in the past. I played the original Half Life when it was released and even Half Life 2 but I don't ever remember saying to myself that I need to play Halo on PC, because I never knew it existed on PC. I just knew it was a huge game on XBOX. I always recognized Halo visually but not through sound.

BTW I intend on purchasing Halo on Steam.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...
4PGIW2p.png

I'm gonna say a lot of people?
And how many of those people also know the Mario tune? I'd wager it's in the higher regions of 90+%

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

People saying a few other things like Green Hill Zone (which is highly recognizable) are forgetting it's not just Mario 1-1, it was also adopted as the theme song for the whole franchise. You don't have to have actually played Super Mario Bros 1 to hear it.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
LOL. The stuff PC gamers say. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Half life is a meme because of "when's HL3 coming?"

Songs off the GTA radio are more iconic than this theme.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
My Mum recognises the Mario Bros theme and I didn't have a Nintendo console growing up and she has never played a Mario game. It is probably the only videogame theme that has any recognition outside gaming audiences. Everything else is niche by comparison.

May 10, 2019
CastleVania 1-1 (Vampire Killer, which has been revamped and remixed a fucking lot) and the Final Fantasy series Prelude demand seats at the table

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
More people hear that valve intro theme daily than all the other songs in this thread combined. Both Dota 2 and CsGo open with it.

wtf ? I have never seen this in Dota 2.

Only back in the day for stuff like Half life .

I mean...
4PGIW2p.png

I'm gonna say a lot of people?
And how many of those people also know the Mario tune? I'd wager it's in the higher regions of 90+%

Another question is how many people in there mute the BGM for those games. I am gonna wager in the higher 90%.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's Mario, it's not close. And I think people are hugely overestimating the Tetris theme. At least in people being able to recognize what it's from.

MintMuffin

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
I'd say it depends on which part of the world you are from. The popularity of console gaming versus PC gaming is not uniform across the world.