• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks OP you gave me a good laugh.

Picking the Tetris theme is cheating, because that's a Russian folk song. That's like if Pac Man or Sonic had used Ode to Joy as its theme and people called it the most iconic video game tune ever.

The answer is the Super Mario Bros theme.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Mario, Zelda, Halo, Pokémon, and Metroid are five that I can think of off of the top of my head that are far more recognizable.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

You're welcome.

For anyone wondering, yes this is on Spotify, yes this is in my playlist, and yes this is one of the most beautiful covers of a song ever made.

Damn, this is a blast to the past. Great album.
It's not "the most recognisable" but this Halo 3 song (well, mainly the piano at the start) is super memorable for me.

Feb 9, 2018
The original SMB overworld theme is the most iconic by far, followed closely by the underworld theme. Like, everybody knows that classic 7-note "dun-dun dun dun-dun dun ~ duh."

Other runners-up include Zelda, Halo, Tetris, and maybe even the "Athletic Theme" from Super Mario World, Bob-omb Battlefield in Super Mario 64, the Final Fantasy main theme, and the Green Hill Zone music from Sonic 1. All far more instantly recognizable than the Valve theme which I didn't even know existed until today.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly amazed and confused how people can live in such a bubble.

I'm a huge Half-Life fan, and I wouldn't even place that in like, the top 50 or whatever. It would never even cross my mind. Hell, if someone asked me "what's the Half-Life theme" I wouldn't have an answer because until today, I wouldn't have even considered it to have one. I would have more related it to being the "Valve startup sound" or something, but of course, that's only the very beginning, so it hardly counts as a theme in the first place.

And even if it were somehow well known, how do you put it on top of the Super Mario Bros. theme? The Halo theme? The Zelda theme?

Man...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Its Mario, like theres aboslutely no contest.
I hope the OP wasnt serious with the valve theme lol

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
how on earth would you think the valve theme is more recognizable than half of the themes posted in this thread

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 1-1 or Tetris comes to mind (beaten x100) but those games have been around A LONG time, re-released many times and sold hundreds of millions of copies and were often people's first gaming experiences.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Even saying Green Hill Zone or Tetris coming at second or third is wrong. It's Mario 1-1, then then 1-2, etc. Mario all day.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If you were on the street and would be paid money each time someone guessed the game with the song you were whistling you wouldn't make much money with that theme. Mario and nothing else even comes close.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I have no evidence to back this up, but I feel like the people saying Tetris are giving it a little too much credit. I couldn't even remember what it sounded like until I listened to the YouTube link (granted, it immediately came back to me)

But the SMB 1-1 theme is just so...ubiquitous. Like, especially for people who don't play video games, they know what it is. Like, I imagine my mom...a 72 year old baby boomer. She'd know what it is.

It's like 1-1 has transcended video games into pop culture more than even something popular like Tetris or Zelda has

All anecdotal of course so maybe I'm off base. I just think about my mom and think "would she recognize this?" 1-1 might be the only one she would

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
I have never heard the Tetris theme until now. I think there may be a generational gap with that one.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Anything from the last, like, 25 years isn't even going to break the top 10. Lot of people seriously overrating how much anyone cared about Halo's music.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are you out of your mind, OP? What planet do you live on?

Correct answer is Super Mario Bros. 1-1, followed very closely by Tetris.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
mario 1-1 and nothing else comes close

runner ups would probably be zelda main theme, pokemon, tetris, mortal kombat techno remix

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the most "Era Bubble" thread in all gaming history ?

That Valve intro wouldn't even make it to the Top 50 tbh. Especially if you are counting company intro themes , then you start including stuff like the PS Startup,