• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Uh, no lol. Not at all. Who even hears this these days?
Mario bros is the correct answer, though some Pokemon tracks are also super recognizable. Halo as well.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I grew up with PC gaming and the Half-life games and though I had that that one tone in my head when I saw the picture in the OP I would not put it in the top 100 most recognizable themes. I wouldn't even call it a theme.

Super Mario Bros 1-1 is way more recognizable as is the Tetris Theme all mainly with older people, but I guess not many young people would recognize them. For them it might be Megalovania or the Fortnite dance jingle.

It took until post #94 for the right answer to be posted? Step it up Era.
look at post #48

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to be in a big bubble to think half life anything is recognizable in mainstream culture. Even in its prime Half Life didn't penetrate culture like other video game franchises like Mario, GTA, and Pokémon.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's Mario.

Tetris might be close, but idk if there's even any connection with Tetris and the current generation of kids.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Putting aside the resounding chorus of better known console game themes, even on PC, I have stuff like the original Deus Ex march or the Terran music from SC1 more readily available in my head than the Half Life theme

Or like, the songs from Portal, or the little musical stinger at the end of "Meet The..." shorts from Team Fortress

or the Tank music from Left 4 Dead

I didn't even know Half Life had a theme

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, the "mash spacebar, maybe escape, then alt+tab and google a thing to put in the steam launch options to skip this annoying wait every time I start the game" theme!

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Interesting, I never heard more than like 5 seconds of the Valve theme, never knew there's more. But I doubt that would make it top10 even in a PC centric list...atleast in my list it probably wouldn't. For how good Half Life was, there are far more memorable themes imo.

But for all gaming, I agree with Mario bros/Tetris.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
While it's probably not the most memorable, it ranks very high. Of course Era posters wouldn't know, as they don't play MP and have never touched a Counterstrike game in their life.
I don't think that's even in the top 100 OP.
Millions of people hear this every day and have heard this everyday for the last 20 years.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Wow. When I opened this thread, I sure didn't expect that song in the OP.

But yeah, it's the Super Mario Bros. ground theme, Tetris Type A, or Pac-Man's classic "stage start" jingle.

EDIT: I guess this was supposed to be bait or something? I dunno. Point still stands. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
It's the Mario theme.

Tetris theme is disqualified because it's actually a russian folk song

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, no lol. Not at all. Who even hears this these days?
I mean...
4PGIW2p.png

I'm gonna say a lot of people?

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
Tetris, Mario, Zelda, even metal gear solid theme or Halo is more recognizable. For PC gamers the theme certainly brings a lot of joy and fond memories, but even PC gamers must have played Mario or Tetris

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 1-1, tetris, and pac man up there for top 3. I say majority of gamers dont know the valve theme.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
This is like one of those AI generated threads.

I guess the cheating answer is any game that uses classical music, Little King's story was mostly public domain music for instance.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's definitley Mario Bros and quite a few more before half life

Half life was a huge deal but I bet you half the people gaming today have never played it let alone know the music

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Oh my god, I thought the OP linked the 10 second tune Valve uses in their intros. I didn't even realize they had a full theme.