• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have called it racist, but I guess my not being from the US and English not being my first language factors into that. After hearing about the family and how the word can be used I'd have to say it sounds pretty racist, though.

Speaking of racist pet names, I once met a family who had named their black chihuahua Obama. That was...something.
There's a girl in my building whose dog is named Obama. She's a big fan, but apparently not too bright to not see the issue with naming your dog after him.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
This being in the USA and in the south i can't really make a correct judgement.

As far as i know a lot of people call their pet or animal by the colour of their fur (sometimes in their own language or sometimes in a language they think sounds good). And then make it sound more cute by putting -ie at the end. It's not very original but lots of brown dogs are called brownie, many white cats are called blanca, many black horses are called blackie.

But again, reading that the word is considered offensive in the USA it could be wise to consider another name.....

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Defending a Racist Slur
Most countries don't have that aversion to using certain words out loud regardless of the context as if they were Voldemort's name, and I think this depends entirely on location. In my country it wouldn't be an issue, but we also don't say stuff like "he called him the N word", we just say the word because we're clearly not using it to attack a person in that context. Is it being used against a person? Well that's fucked up. Is it used to describe a dog? Well that's harmless. Otherwise at this pace you guys will need to replace the word black for a new one for all things that are just made of that color.

Just my two cents.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My family used to own a dog we called Blackie, but with hindsight of the name and context, the dog would be named differently today. Also received two cats (brothers) we called Orange cat and Black cat because we couldn't settle on a name. Different today with my current dog and cat, Finnegan and Pippin respectively.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
There's a girl in my building whose dog is named Obama. She's a big fan, but apparently not too bright to not see the issue with naming your dog after him.
I can totally get naming a pet after someone you admire, but yeah, as a white guy I definitely wouldn't want to go around with someone sharing their name with a black person on a leash.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If you are native english it's quite hard to see how it wouldn't be seen that way, especially if you are american. If you are from another country where black has a different connotation, it probably wouldn't be. Context is important here.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the color of the animal with a Y on the end. I don't think you can consider the owner's intentions when determining if that name is inherently racist. A lot of posters are bringing up situations where such a name could be perceived as racist, but I do not think that was OP's question of whether the name is racist as opposed to if the owners were racist in naming their dog that.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Yes, it's pretty racist. We don't believe good discussion will come out of this, so we're locking this. We will also be reviewing posts made in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.