• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My dad had a black dog as a kid, in the 50s, named Blackie and when we were kids we wanted to get a black pug, but he insisted if we got a black pug we had to name it blackie, homage to his dog. We all vetoed him thankfully. I wouldn't think of my dad as an overt racist, he was a college educated hippie, but I think that's a blindspot he had.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Can someone explain how in the world this is racist?? Connect the dots, please.

I mean the literal definition of blackie in the dictionary is that it's an offensive term

W2d521y.png

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a pet rabbit called Blackbeard and we shortened that to Blacky. We had another called Pugwash and we called him Pugsy, so there was a pirate theme (Pugwash came first) and we abbreviated both.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So they lived in the south and want to call their black dog "blackie?" Yeah, that's not gonna fly with me.

I'm about 100% certain they know exactly the connotations of the word. And while I'm not one to chastise for original naming of your pet (I named my cat "Luna," after my favorite Harry Potter character, and the moon because I'm a Cancer, so who am I to judge?), they could have come up with a more creative name, and with one not steeped in a racist history.

How about Sirius, Onyx, or Obsidian? Jet? Shadow? Alucard? Anything but Blackie, come on. :/

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
This was exactly the name I expected. So unimaginative, and the context doesn't make the owners sound any better.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
If you gonna go that route they should have gone hard and called it turbo negro and gaslighted people by saying it's named after the band.

But yeah 100% racist unless it falls into the exemptions mentioned.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think a good rule of thumb is if you can imagine it being used as a racist term, then it almost certainly has been. A quick google search confirms that.

More succinctly put:
If you have to ask, then most likely.

Another good rule of thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable saying using the term in the presence of a member of the affected marginalized group - in this case, saying the dog's name with a black person in your home. Again, I can't imagine who wouldn't have some qualms about that. So really any way you look at it, just pick a different name.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I wouldn't have called it racist, but I guess my not being from the US and English not being my first language factors into that. After hearing about the family and how the word can be used I'd have to say it sounds pretty racist, though.

Speaking of racist pet names, I once met a family who had named their black chihuahua Obama. That was...something.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Very tone deaf and not one that I would have recommended, let alone would want to say. There's other words to use for the color black that would be much better.

Another tone deaf one I can think of was an ex's sister who named her cat "Kitler".

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the litmus test you can apply:

"Is this a name I can call out in a park when I want to get the dog's attention, and not cause an awkward situation?"

I believe Blackie fails this test very much so

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Niggardly doesn't actually have any linguistic connection with the n-word, though. I don't see the point of comparison with naming a black dog.

The name's not going to win points for originality.

I'm well aware that the word is rooted in older language and was not originally a racist term. I just don't really trust anyone in a contemporary context to use it in good faith because it's such an antiquated word.

As for the relevance of its comparison, I don't really have an argument there. Peace.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
My great aunt had a cat with that name. I was outside calling her into the house when I was 7. The neighbor was a black lady and gave me a look ill never forget. That was 31 years ago.

Yeah that name is racist.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Maybe not. It's a bad name either way, but for instance my grandparents had a golden retriever named Goldie, a black lab named Blackie, and a red haired mutt named Red. They are not imaginative people. Regardless of intent, don't name your dog Blackie is a good rule of thumb.

I sure as shit wouldn't want to be yelling out Blackie at the dog park tho so maybe there's your answer.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, depends on context in this case. It's not a good name for a dog regardless though.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid, uncreative name even if it weren't racist.
I dunno. Bello, Luna, etc. are not more creative for that matter.
Not at all, calling pets after their colour is a very common thing. Blacky, Sooty, Snowy, Chalky, Ginge, Torty, Checkers, Dotty, Copper, Ashes, Blue etc etc.

It's not like when black dogs got called the N word.
It's totally common, I mean pets are not humans? Our cat is called Shiro (white) and I wanted to name our second Kuro (black) despite it being white too, but my fiance didnt like that idea. We named our black dog Anyu (gentle night). I know so many dogs named after colors. Hazel, Blackie, Snow, Simba, Snowwhite...
I even know dogs called after colors not related to fur (blue, purple, etc.).

I dunno, what else do you have to go with than hopes for personality and/or color related names?

I personally dislike this trend to give dogs human names (Beethoven, Einstein, Augusta, Fred, Elmo, Pascha, Hugo, Rudy) or nordic names (Odin, Thor, Ares etc.).

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
When I was younger we had a black cat named Sam that I called blackie as a nickname. As an adult I see the problem but when I was 5 it was just a nickname.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if it's a dog and its black, I mean, except feeling like it's a lazy name I don't think it's racist, it's a dog.

Call a black person on the street that name and you'll get shit of course, but a dog...hmmmm.

As a black cat owner who call his cat 'Shadow' I feel like it's just a nudge better than Blackie lol.

EDIT: Oh ok, just saw the definition, fuck it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.