• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
My mom named her new solid-black cat Satchmo.

She doesn't see a problem with it (and traditionally has named cats after musicians - and does have a genuine appreciation for Louis Armstrong), but everyone else gets, uh, taken aback a bit by it.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone asking for context...its a dumb redneck family that has lived in rural Georgia and Alabama their whole life.
giphy.gif

Well then...I think you already knew the answer to this question.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
When I was growing up we had a black cat named Blackie. I don't know if my parents or my brother named him, though my hunch is that it was my brother, because that's the sort of fairly literal name a very young child would pick.

That said, I would expect a parent to sidestep such a naming suggestion, and not embrace it. Especially for a dog, where you might be calling their name out in public.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
It's fairly common to name pets in India by hair colour, with English words. I've seen brownie and blackie a few times.

...would never use that in UK though.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Gotta be honest, this wouldn't even register as racial to me if you didn't present it as such.

Would I name my dog Blackie? No, but naming your pet via the colour of their fur is pretty common. On a 1-10 scale this is like a 1 to me if that.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Trolling on racial topics
When I was younger my 10 year old sister named our white cat Whitey and black cat Blackie. I'm going to let her know she's racist now.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It feels weird for me to say it, so I call our cat which the youngest sibling (11 at the time) gave that exact name, 'Black'. I won't argue that it's an okay name, but I also don't think my sister was thinking "let's give a racist name" when she did it.

I forget what the other names were the rest of the family wanted, but she was the one that really loved on him as a kitten so her name won out. Now he's a total "ma and pa cat" and doesn't have anything to do with my sister lol.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Is it? I was the only person with a black dog growing up (Utuado) and I named it Shadow.
I know at least 4 people with black-fur dogs that they named "Blackie", just off the top of my head. And one with white fur to be ironic. This is in the west, so Aguadilla through Mayagüez.

Bumfuck Alabama, though? Yeah, safe to say it's racism in this case.

Nov 11, 2017
I came in expecting an HP Lovecraft-tier pet name, haha. That said, while intent behind it probably isn't racist, it's kind of a bad look in 2020

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Not inherently racist. Also not very imaginative.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My daughters wanted to name a cat they had "blackie"

Came up with "midnight" after turning that down.

Kids 🤷‍♂️ , obviously they didn't have any ill intent in our case.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
blackie is a somewhat common name for black cats and dogs isn't it? I know I've heard of this before, always just thought it was a lazy name to come up with. You don't name a cat orangie do you?
I remember it being somewhat common for families to name cats and dogs whitey and blackie when I was a kid, and it not feeling like it had any racial intent to it, just laziness, as you say. Maybe it was innocent, or maybe I was just naive. I can't say I've ever heard a black person referred to as "blackie" in my life, so that probably plays a part. But despite that, I would wonder about it now.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My ex wife and I got a black cat around halloween like 10 years ago that we called spooks because it was a spooky cat and would do the arch thing.

That name didn't last long once we found out.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, calling pets after their colour is a very common thing. Blacky, Sooty, Snowy, Chalky, Ginge, Torty, Checkers, Dotty, Copper, Ashes, Blue etc etc.

It's not like when black dogs got called the N word.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a rather usual pet name in many Spanish speaking countries. Never seen it in Spain but yes in a few Latin American countries.
Yeah, I know a lot of Spanish speaking countries name their black dogs "Negro" and if you only spoke English you'd think it's super racist, however in Spanish it just means black.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's not really racist in itself, but given the family I'd say it probably is.

For everyone asking for context...its a dumb redneck family that has lived in rural Georgia and Alabama their whole life.

It's a bad name too. Pfft have some imagination and call the dog Pete.

I would so I can continue to quote Remember the Titans :)

My ex wife and I got a black cat around halloween like 10 years ago that we called spooks because it was a spooky cat and would do the arch thing.

That name didn't last long once we found out.

lol yea

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom named her new solid-black cat Satchmo.

She doesn't see a problem with it (and traditionally has named cats after musicians - and does have a genuine appreciation for Louis Armstrong), but everyone else gets, uh, taken aback a bit by it.

Satchmo is a fucking dope name for a cat. Better if you have a dog named Duke, best if you have a gerbil named Miles.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Unless there's some extra context for otherwise, I don't think it is. If the ex's family is anywhere on the racist side, that changes things though and makes it immediately suspect.

EDIT:
Oh. Hm. Yeah, not going to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one lol.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
my aunt had a dog named blackie, but this was back in the 80's.

There are literally a million other things you could name your dog

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised given the context of this family living in the south, people are being so fucking dismissive of this having racist intent.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Is there another pet named whitey?

But it's seriously tone def. Like incredibly tone def. Like how can someone NOT see why it could be offensive tone def.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it used as a dog name a lot. Same as a lot of calico cats are named Cali/Kali.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Racism
I feel like it's racist to think it's racist. It's a fuckin black dog. Would be like naming a yellow lab Goldie or sumthin

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is a rather usual pet name in many Spanish speaking countries. Never seen it in Spain but yes in a few Latin American countries.
We had a dog named Blackie when I was a child. My father was Hispanic and he named it so I think there might be a connection there. He was a beautiful all black German Shepard. I never thought anything about it until I was setting up a phone account and security questions. When asked about my first pets name, I said Blackie and the look I got from the man taking my info was startling. He was black. When I saw this thread title I knew this was what it was about.
On a side note, we got an all white German Shepard before our first one died and named it Sugar so 🤷‍♂️

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh... went off topic.

Yeeeah, Blackie is just not a good name. You wouldn't name a white cat Whitey! They need a little bit more originality. Lke... Snugglebutton or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.