• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are American cars better looking than before?

• Yay

Votes: 119 38.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 192 61.7%

• Total voters

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
Back in 90s and 2000s American car designs were the laughing stock. Ugly ass boring looking cars.

Nowadays there are some amazing looking car

2021-ford-mustang-mach-1.jpg

2020-Dodge-Charger-Hellcat-Widebody1.jpg

CR-Cars-InlineHero-2021-Ford-Bronco-f-rocks-7-20

2017-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-instrumented-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-671066-s-original.jpg

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the new EV's are very hit or miss

At least we aren't in the cursed early-mid2000's design phase.

Like the honda civic actually looks sick now.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Modern car design has to many lines for my taste. A lot of cars feel to aggressive for no reason

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think 70s cars are ugly (I grew up in the 90s so 70s cars have "creepy uncle" vibes) but I do think the cars in the OP are neat so I don't know what my answer is.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Modern cars are bloated formless blobs which are impossible to see out of. High belt lines, raised hoods, and huge wheels have combined to make SUVs, hatchbacks, wagons, and sedans all converge into a big wagonish thing with a slight ride height lift, or in other words, a crossover.

Edit: and yes I know a lot of the above are for improving occupant safety in a crash, but that doesn't mean I have to like how it looks.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
lol i kind of like that most regular sedans look like sports cars of the past now

then it's funny because i can't really stand the look of the modern camaro and mustang (atleast the front)

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't care what my car looks like tbh. As long as it is ev, reliable, and got safety features then I am gucci.

Oct 25, 2017
I think in general you hardly see ugly new cars these days...
Yeah. When I was a teen in the early 2000s all of the non-exotic cars that I saw were ugly to me. And I wondered if I just felt that way because they were contemporary or if they were really just ugly.

It turns out they were just ugly. Almost every new car made these days looks pretty good.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
70s Mustang
60660_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

80s Mustang
Fox-Body-Article-Alonso-Fox-Again-5.jpg

That 80s cocaine was something else, look what they did to my boy.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
it was great in the mid 10s, now slowly in the decline

now everything is going more hyper aggressive and ruining the designs. biggest example, the 2015-2018 mustangs are beautiful, 2019 on they started to add teeth to the grill, made the headlights more squinty, the lines sharper…. like stop. not everything needs to be monster energy drinkified. same goes with camaros, you can barely see out the back anymore

but atleast they didn't fall off the truck like the germans with new gen BMWs where every car looks like 50 cent smiling

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Cars got smartphone disease and found a working template and everything is very close to that template but almost nothing actually improves on it

Trucks also got the same shit, everything is that generic "IM A BIG ASS TRUCK FOR REAL AMERICAN MEN AND LOOK AT HOW BIG I AM" model now

SUVs are immoral so I wont comment

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
At least back then American makers made regular cars: sedans and hatchbacks. Now they don't bother at all and only do only muscle cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs. Maybe it's for the best that they specialize in what they're good at but I'm not really interested in any of them.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Not really on topic since it's not an American car, but I think it's hilarious how even the most budget of vehicles look a little aggressive these days. I have a 2020 Kia Rio and love that I can get a fancy/angular/sporty grill on a budget vehicle.

2021-Kia-Rio-5-Door-Hatchback.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
The 80s and 90s and to be frank the 00s were just horrible for American automakers. It seems things have improved a lot in the 10s. But there is still room for improvement.

This. I don't know what happened but man I love how they managed to push the muscle car design without going all European. It's still unique and it actually looks good.

Lovely.

The Bronco and the new Discovery is also ridiculously good looking, can't believe we got 2 of those actually useful SUVs in such a short time.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
The Camero has always been a hideous hotwheels looking car with nonexistent windows, but most of the other American cars look good these days.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Better than the 00's for sure, but I still really don't like the prevailing car aesthetic these days.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing said '70's like a vinyl-roof-topped Ford Maverick. "Not-quite-a-mustang" in just about every way, though it did have air conditioning. That roof was destined to crack eventually, and when it did it really peeled away. Most of today's cars look better than that, but not necessarily better than mustangs of the era.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
The throwback muscle cars aren't too bad, but they still strike me as big and bloated for my tastes, with their high beltlines and whatnot. The Bronco looks great, but I struggle to think of any other American car designs that I think are really exceptional.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
The Camaro's kind of backsliding recently, but otherwise, sure.

This, pretty much. The recent Camaro refresh was a bust. Sad story, GM went to focus groups largely comprised of 5th gen Camaro owners while developing the 6th gen, and they were clear: they didn't want a drastic redesign, they felt the 6th gen should carry forward the styling of the 5th gen. So Chevy designed the car with that in mind; then it came out and really didn't get much of a sales spike at all, probably because most average joes just thought it was another update to the 5th gen. So they felt the need to do a expedited refresh to substantially change the styling…. aaaaaand they fucked it.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Other than General Motors, yes. If you count GM then no. They've always had pretty terrible designs but lately... We'll see several of their brands disappear within the next 10-20 years for sure. Terrible crap.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
80s Mustang
Fox-Body-Article-Alonso-Fox-Again-5.jpg

That 80s cocaine was something else, look what they did to my boy.

80's Ford are some of the most horrid looking vehicles ever produced.

I hated them, and I grew up in the 80s/90s. I do like later Model Mustangs and have owned two of them.

I had a number of High School friends who had Mustangs ranging from 88-93 models, and I thought they were so ugly.

This was my ride at 18...and somehow I didn't die wrapped around a tree. I was the only kid in school with a Vette, bought it with my after school work money I saved from the age of 15.

0e1f102113d3e481e2266a5a5c2b9dba-1400x788.jpg

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Three of the four OP examples are muscle cars on their way out lol, but I agree, 90s-00s US car designs were pretty terrible. They didn't start turning around until they either went retro with designs (big credit to the Mustang there) or just started copying German design. Current American designs are much nicer, the only problem is that they're 95% SUVs and pickups.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Mostly US trucks that have excellent design. For sedans, maybe the Model S (which is sort of old at this point) but otherwise not really feeling american car design.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
I am probably alone here, but I think the pinnacle of American consumer car design was the Pontiac Solstice, and that might be because my favorite car design of recent times has been the current Mazda Miata. I think I just like Roadsters.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
This, pretty much. The recent Camaro refresh was a bust. Sad story, GM went to focus groups largely comprised of 5th gen Camaro owners while developing the 6th gen, and they were clear: they didn't want a drastic redesign, they felt the 6th gen should carry forward the styling of the 5th gen. So Chevy designed the car with that in mind; then it came out and really didn't get much of a sales spike at all, probably because most average joes just thought it was another update to the 5th gen. So they felt the need to do a expedited refresh to substantially change the styling…. aaaaaand they fucked it.
Yeah, the initial 6th gen would have had more of an impact without the 5th gen refresh two years prior.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
They're about as good as they've been in decades, I'd agree. Still probably wouldn't even consider test driving, much less owning, any of them though.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Bronco is the only one I really dig. Everything else looks like it's trying so hard to be aggressive. I agree they are the best they've been in ages though!