• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
That's how I make rice but she's draining it? You just keep it on heat until the water is gone.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
cBhxG1S.jpg

Anyone still using this style?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think my parents and grandparents cooked it like that, can't remember for sure though

i didn't like rice til i moved out on my own so i guess that's for a reason

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
My white as hell family has a rice rooker wtf BBC

One of the best followup videos ever though

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't you think this is a bit of an ignorant thread asking if the majority of an entire group of people from many different nationalities based off one skin color do something one way based off a YouTube video?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She is already getting some attacks by idiots online too

Fuck sake people, it humour :(

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Okay. I might make some people angry in here, but I've done this. Well what we actually did was buy rice that came in bags with small holes in it. Boil it in a pot of water. Then you could just pull the bag out and let it drain. I would then put it in a bowl with some milk and sugar. It tastes great.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
The lady is brown in the video. Looks South Asian.
And brown people came up with the GOAT rice recipe that is Biryani. I wouldn't question them.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have never ever seen someone strain rice. what?

there isn't only one way to make rice but this is new to me
And brown people came up with the GOAT rice recipe that is Biryani. I wouldn't question them.
it's not her recipe. She just presented it for BBC

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Time stamp is 3m 45s if it doesn't work.

If it is I'm not surprised at rice losing at the carbs poll in that carbs thread.

LMAO. I just made some rice last night, and that's definitely not how I make it. If you're going to rinse it, you do that first, then add around the normal amount of water (slightly less if you already soaked it), bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 10 - 12 minutes partially covered, then let it sit on the stove for another 10 - 12 minutes covered. Going to get a rice cooker sometime soon though. Mainly to save time when trying to cook multiple things on the stove at the same time since I run out of space too easily and end up having to set the rice aside for a while after it's done.

I saw this the other day, and I'm pretty sure the guy just copied this

Kyle's alter ego was the first person I thought of while playing the video in the OP.

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man, as an Asian-American and actor those two YouTubers' heightened piled on Asian caricature accents made me cringe way more than the lady's rice recipe.

That makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Antiwhippy

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

I know how Indians cook rice and it's different to the Chinese method, but they do not put unwashed rice and then rinse the rice after cooking lol.

Also it's a Chinese recipe and no Chinese would ever cook like that.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
There are countless Indian cooking videos on Youtube that shows people straining the rice at the end of cooking it. I've never done it personally, but it's obviously common enough that it works. Putting down other cultures for how they prepare their food--sometimes being one of their staples--really reeks of ethnocentrism.

Rinsing the rice after cooking it, though, is something I have no answers for.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I've cooked rice in a pot before, yeah. I've never used a colander, that was interesting.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I only cook rice occasionally (y'know... without any excess water) but that vid still fucked me up.

OP
OP
Antiwhippy

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
There are countless Indian cooking videos on Youtube that shows people straining the rice at the end of cooking it. I've never done it personally, but it's obviously common enough that it works. Putting down other cultures for how they prepare their food--sometimes being one of their staples--really reeks of ethnocentrism.

Rinsing the rice after cooking it, though, is something I have no answers for.

I mean that is the technique for basmati rice. But for fried rice and then rinsing? Lol

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No it's not how most white people cook their rice. jesus christ how much of an ignoramus do you have to be to think that.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I uh... I've seen rice being cooked like that everywhere.

And my home country is whiter than mayonnaise. So I guess the answer is yes.

anamika

May 18, 2018
But they do strain the rice from what I've googled. Seems to be a very common method.

Yes, straining the rice and removing the starchy water after the rice is cooked is a very common technique in India. lol at all the white people in here gasping in horror at straining the rice. Cooking rice and removing the excess water is supposedly the healthier way of eating rice.

The washing of the rice after straining though? That's weird and I have never seen that before. Maybe she is applying the same logic for pasta to the rice - that is the cold water prevents the rice from sticking to each other. No idea. No one washes rice after cooking.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen rice cooked like this up until the running tap water through it.
Genuinely shocked at that part

Status
Not open for further replies.