• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this gen's graphics starting to feel long in the tooth or are you still continually impressed?

• Still impressed

Votes: 2,584 73.9%
  • Bring on Next-Gen already

Votes: 913 26.1%

• Total voters

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm currently replaying Witcher 3 on my PS4 Pro and I still think the visuals look great. Quite stunning at times even.

I remember around this time with my PS3 though and was thinking 'holy shit we need new machines'.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
The one thing that has honestly surprised me most this gen(and this is coming from someone who is not a tech guy,lol)is how incredible looking huge open world games have become.I never thought that given the system specs of the current gen(talkng about base models)games would be so detailed across such huge enviroments.
Thats's why the recent meltdowns over the PS5 spec sheet have left me bewildered.....these games are going to look wonderful,whichever system you play on.

Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal is good looking game, but it's hardly mind blowing. I think people are reacting more to the art style than the technical merits of the games geometry, shaders, etc. KZ Shadowfall's 60fps multiplayer mode looks just as good and that's a launch game, IMO.

But other games like RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit, Metro, FFVII and others are very impressive. And Ori is the best looking game from a 2D perspective I've ever seen, even if the models are actually 3D. The improved IQ with the Pro and X have helped a lot.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Gears 5, Horizon 4, and Ori 2 on One X, and man, it's hard to be disappointed right now. All stunning games on that system. Even spent a few hours going back to God of War to do a couple of side quests I hadn't when I first beat the game and to check it out on my HDR tv, and even that looks fantastic on an OG PS4. Uncharted Lost Legacy, too. Beautiful in HDR and extremely well-balanced visual presentation.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
I know you're referring to consoles in your question, at least that's the impression I had. However, playing Doom Eternal on PC at max settings on a 2080ti on ultrawide monitor feels like "next gen" right now.

On the other hand, I feel like developers will continue to get great results out of the current consoles, the RE3 Remake Demo looks fantastic for example.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal just came out @ 60 fps and looks absolutely bonkers so I am still impressed.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I remain unimpressed, but not for raw graphical power. While many games look stunning in still photos, where the hell is the animation? I'm still seeing guys transition animation or run into walls or whatever like it's 2004 and I'm playing Half Life 2. Next gen there better be no excuses, fix the animation so people look like people.

Nov 20, 2019
Imagine these visuals next gen. Only few games impress me now days. FF7R demo, Gears 5, Star Citizen, Death Stranding, HZD, GOW and more look good. I have a RTX 2080 and Control is next gen when played with RT on. But graphics have a LOOOONNNGG WAAAYY to go.

Nov 20, 2019
I remain unimpressed, but not for raw graphical power. While many games look stunning in still photos, where the hell is the animation? I'm still seeing guys transition animation or run into walls or whatever like it's 2004 and I'm playing Half Life 2. Next gen there better be no excuses, fix the animation so people look like people.
This!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Graphic still look great, the speed at which textures load however..

Textures loading in delayed is only an issue in specific games though. Lemme try to remember the last time that was an issue in a game I played. Oh, Dragon Quest 11 on PS4. Since then I played plenty games without that issue.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Textures loading in delayed is only an issue in specific games though. Lemme try to remember the last time that was an issue in a game I played. Oh, Dragon Quest 11 on PS4. Since then I played plenty games without that issue.
sure, it's just on my mind because I'm playing Hunt:Showdown and it's a great game but the texture loading is baaaad.

What I mean is "graphics" are great but things like texture loading, IQ, Frame rate, AA, DOF and such can always be better.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason I say that TLoU 2 still looks a generation a ahead of most of these games. Still have to played RDR2 too..

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
Assassins Creed Odyssee looks STUNNING.

Yea man, I'm only playing it now for the first time on my Pro and sometimes I have to stop and just take it all in, looks phenomenal.

At this same point in the last gen I was hungry for new hardware, this time I'm around I'm still happy with what I have.

That being said, was playing the Witcher 3 again this weekend too and the one thing that really stood out, and not in a good way, was the load times. Loading everywhere, fast travel, between gameplay and cutscenes, between cutscenes and cutscenes, at times it was infuriating. So I'm actually looking forward to the new gen with regards cutting down load times/screens more than anything else!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Graphical fidelity is incredible this generation, in my opinion. What I take issue with are the narrow corridors intended up mask texture streaming around the corner, limited scope of content, and visible radius of details surrounding your character that pop into view.

I'm pretty damn excited for the 50-100x boost in I/O this next generation is bringing!

Your anecdotal account of noticing the issue or not means nothing. Even if it's not noticeable, every game is being developed with that hardware restraint as a massive hurdle to overcome. Removing that hurdle can literally transform the design space and opportunities available to developers in how they make the game and what the final product can be.

Last edited:

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake looks astonishing on the base PS4, they are really pushing it

Even then, JUST IMAGINE WHAT IT COULD BE WITH NEXT-GEN HARDWARE THOUGH

Neutral_Jump

Mar 21, 2020
Saint Louis
I feel like the tech has been in a really good place for the last five years. More than anything else, our perception of graphics relies heavily on art direction and implementation. Usually when we talk about the best graphics on dead consoles, it's almost always based on realization of a defined style. Of course many view the proximity of photorealism to graphics as a measuring stick, but rarely do attempts at photorealism ever age well.

For the first time in maybe my entire life I'm not feeling the desire to jump into a new console generation.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
If I still had a base console I would probably be less impressed but the X and Pro put out some fantastic looking games still

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly still impressed, the genre I think needs the move to next gen the most is the racing one (track detail, spectators...).

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding, Control, Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War and Resident Evil 2 blew me away these past few years.
And FFVII, TLOU Pt2, Cyberpunk 2077 and Ghost of Tsushima look to be outstanding as well, I am always impressed.

I don't think I am even ready for next-gen exclusives.

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Here's a Pic of gears of war 5 (4K 60FPS) Max Settings on my PC.
Qr1xNt5.jpg

Next gen is going to blow this gen away.
Hellblade II (In-Engine) Trailer.
Y2IL7LK.jpg

This seems disingenuous. You're trying to compare a (very dull) gameplay screenshot to an obviously face-mapped cutscene shot. At the very least what you should be doing is comparing the best cutscene of this gen to what we saw of Hellblade 2.

Why resuming a year old poll?

Sorry, I had something to say on the matter and didn't see the point in starting a new topic. Mods can close it if bumping an old poll is frowned upon.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we have reached a very good baseline already although you can feel that devs already push the systems too far sometimes. We definitely need a spec bump because load times are nerve racking sometimes and performance is just too bad at times. All things that all next gen systems will easily be able to address!

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
No. After playing the res3 demo on pro it looked fantastic an at 60fps

sick of hearing about the hell blade trailer as well, in engine means nothing without any gameplay.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I'm rarely impressed by graphics these days and instead mainly by techniques, games putting a CPU to good use in terms of enemies per screen or strong Artificial Intelligence.

I think the days of GRAPHIXSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH are coming to an end; they were always a lame metric anyway.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There are some great looking games still coming out, it's the CPU and SSD enhancements I'm most looking forward to next gen. Can't wait to see the back of these Jaguar cores!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm" super excited for next generation but I'm" definitely continually impressed with this generation graphics wise, I say this every generation though lol.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Folks to post gameplay shots instead of cinematics and photomode stuff (when they add another layer of visual polish like AA, DoF etc). My recent experience with FFVIIR on Pro blew my mind:

Js0sJX8.png

lgWzkyt.png

Zc2JFLP.png

kaqP33g.png

xQFgtaS.png

rNRfuSq.png

At times it felt like I was playing Advent Children.

Go and rewatch the movie. FF7R looks significantly better than Advent Children. Infact alot of games have surpassed the CGI quality of Advent Children already (outside of image accuracy).

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Having the current level of polygonal + texture fidelity but at 4K + RTX + VR will be mindblowing. But that's still at least another generation away.

Jan 21, 2019
While there are still wonderful graphics packed games releasing. I think the general look of this generation has been reached. I don't know how to explain, but they all share this common look, like the ps360 era games. Those had a look too after a time. So I can't wait to see the look of next gen. I expect CG like visuals akin to the Senua Trailer.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm mostly impressed by new technology such as HDR, especially if done right.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Imagine these visuals next gen. Only few games impress me now days. FF7R demo, Gears 5, Star Citizen, Death Stranding, HZD, GOW and more look good. I have a RTX 2080 and Control is next gen when played with RT on. But graphics have a LOOOONNNGG WAAAYY to go.

I don't think we are getting these visuals next gen during gameplay. This looks impressive because it's a cinematic trailer. All animations and the behavior of the NPC's are perfectly tuned an choreographed. Nothing will look like this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How could anyone visit the 2020 pc screenshot thread and find this gen unsatisfactorily?
Go and rewatch the movie. FF7R looks significantly better than Advent Children. Infact alot of games have surpassed the CGI quality of Advent Children already (outside of image accuracy).
Not really no, I can't think of a single game that outright surpasses the quality seen in Advent Children. There's still so much stuff in that film that isn't even remotely feasible in an actual video game. What FFVII and many games DO have over advent children is much better art direction that's more visually pleasing.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
This gen is pretty amazing, tons of games look stunning. The jungle in Shadow of the Tomb Raider was impressive, right now I'm playing Detroit Become Human which looks great.

Actually, games have looked good for quite some time. I mean, Shenmue II is still a good looking game.