• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this gen's graphics starting to feel long in the tooth or are you still continually impressed?

• Still impressed

Votes: 2,584 73.9%
  • Bring on Next-Gen already

Votes: 913 26.1%

• Total voters

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Thought DMC V looked stunning on my pc. Last year God of War and Red Dead 2 were on another level.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
At this point last gen the PS360 felt much longer in the tooth than the Ps4/Xb1 do now ( IMO). Maybe chalk it up to the mid gen refreshes, though the majority are still on the base consoles.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I feel like there's just a general lack of interesting art styles, especially in the AAA arena.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think even next gen wont impresse me. Those gaps become smaller by every gen. Compare xbox one vs xbox one x. More frames more res, doesnt impress me at all

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU will be this Gen's swan song with cyberpunk ushering in new gen.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Last game that impressed me was RDR2 visually. But I'm not as blown away anymore.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
DMCV looks amazing for a game that's targeting 60fps on current gen systems.

I don't even need a PS4 Pro to appreciate how fantastic God of War and Spider-Man look from last year. The gen's graphics are still pushing boundaries that I wasn't expecting.

When people say Borderlands 3 looks unimpressive, what they're saying is it doesn't look that much better than Borderlands 2, which personally I somewhat agree with. I don't know whether the art style doesn't lend well to visual improvements or something, but I wouldn't say the generation is stagnating visually just because one game isn't hitting the mark for me.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Still impressed. But there are issues with framerate and image quality in the OG consoles. 30 fps and sub 30 fps don't look good in motion. And dynamic resolution makes the image blurry/soft here and there.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I've noticed in a lot of threads lately, seemingly nothing from the current crop of releases (and upcoming games) seems to impress people on the visual front. Even myself am finding that lack of "wow" from new games. I've seen a lot of people go crazy over DMC's visuals, but all I can see myself is one compromise after the next - particularly on the environment side. Similarly, many people are completely indifferent or even disappointed for the visuals of Borderlands 3.

Are we hitting peak and monotony? Are you getting that next gen itch? Or are you still impressed and happy with current systems?
DMC V is an issue of art direction and design , not technical limitations, even with their gorgeously animated characters they could had very different looking environments, but Capcom went with a photo realistic looking game fitting for their engine.

Anyways last time i was impressed by a games graphics were Yoshi's 60 fps Switch game, it would look gorgeous @ 1080p

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how some of you survived gens 5, 6 and 7, Jesus Christ.
personally I switched to PC gaming. And that's because so many late-gen AAA games were genuinely bad experiences on console during gen 6 and 7. Of course I'm talking about those games that failed to even meet a consistent 30FPS, but there were many, many of those. The only reason I'm back to console gaming right now (besides dope exclusives, of course) is because more and more games are emphasizing performance or giving players the option to choose between performance and better visuals.

You wouldn't believe how overjoyed I was as I played through God of War 4 in performance mode at launch, and watched as each patch pushed the game closer and closer to the almost fully-consistent 60fps that that game now sits at. What I wouldn't give for every game to be designed and supported in such a way that that sort of improvement were possible. What I wouldn't give for consoles powerful enough to facilitate that sort of performance across a wider range of experiences.

Last edited:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Three of the most Jaw dropping games I've ever played came out last fall in RDR2, Forza Horizon 4 and Shadows of the Tomb Raider.

With the advent of HDR and 4K consoles and the end of a platform cycle I don't think I've ever been more impressed with the graphics in a videogame.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like every single new 3D gen people say, "looking forward to 60fps."

Every single 3D gen devs mainly target 30fps.

It's funny really.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
After DMC5 going back to things has been bugging me but it's not that bad nothing I need an improvement on asap

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They still impress me. Actually I think next gen will do more harm than good to the AAA market.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see the seams and compromises more that's for sure. Battlefield 1 was wow but now BFV, it doesn't look that great.

Character models is something that always keeps impressing me this late in the generation, the rest not so much.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
if anything beyond the 4K/60fps hopes (I can still and love to play games that do 30fps) I would say the tech boost for next gen that I would want is AI and bigger changes in gameplay and destruction

putting more stuff into a game's world, having even more things to do, etc... then graphical/polygon count

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've gotten pretty used to them. But every now and then I'll be playing a game and something will catch my eye.

Just yesterday I was running down the streets of DC in Division 2 and I had to stop and just admire the light and visuals.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've been impressed by "realistic" graphics since the first two or three years of the generation, so yeah I'm ready. Besides, there are other things besides graphics that get held back.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 looks next-gen sometimes (outside of the weak faces).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics are the last thing im worried about, budgets and dec cycles are already insane. We dont need new consoles, we need to let devs reuse their tools and assets to get out games faster.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
honestly, I am more surprised at how often I am still impressed on what these consoles can achieve at this point in their life. Some games are just bananas in the graphics department. I think this gen has life left personally.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean regardless of how pretty some screen grabs can get, this gen has been mired from the start by totally mediocre performance.

If a game is running at 30 fps, it literally doesn't matter how good it looks, it's still a bad experience.

lol@ this shit

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm good. Devs should focus on great gameplay, this isn't like last gen where most console games were plagued with terrible frame-rates/screen tearing, low res textures and horrible IQ.
Pushing the visuals doesn't feel like a priority to me at this point.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm constantly impressed. Everything is total eye candy.

I also can't remember the last game that had noticeable performance issues. I see people whining about framerate or whatever, but everything looks fine to me. Haven't seen tearing in forever, framerates are fine, load times are generally decent.

I feel like I'm the only one who remembers past gens, when all these things were constantly real issues. Now I see spoiled brats who claim that 1080p looks jaggy and sub-60fps is a "slideshow". I can't fathom it. It's like complaining that your personal jet plane can't break Mach 4 to someone who used to own a Model T.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm still amazed whenever I boot up Witcher 3 and my PC ain't exactly high end either.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like every time I think the gen has peaked graphically, another game blows me back. Mortal Kombat X vs 11 really speaks to this. I find it hard to look back at MKX after seeing and playing MK11. The difference feels like a jump in generations and they're both from this gen.

Recent games like Spider-Man with its detailed textures and environment, and upcoming games like TLOU2 with its realistic movements and reactions or Ghost of Tsushima's amazing scenery only continue to blow me away.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
IMO graphics is the least important part of a game. I would rather have game run at 60fps and have better gameplay than extremely good graphics and animations. At the same time if they can do both well, like DMC did, than its even better.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flat TV: I'm impressed and content with what we have.

VR: Bring on next gen! There's a lot of improvement that can be made.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
We are the point where even if I am impressed with graphics, I can't help but think about how what horsepower would have made it look like.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
YCW_screen5.jpg

YCW_screen1.jpg

YCW_screen9.jpg

♡♡ i think it looks pretty nice and its still a 60fps Switch tablet game, current gen can do much more as long as they get creative

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have you taken a look at recent games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Mortal Kombat 11? I have high standards/expectations in regards to game visuals and I keep being impressed.

Last edited:

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Between Resident Evil 2, DMCV, God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man, i think we're still good for a while.

Just this year we have yet to receive Control and DOOM: Eternal, there's a lot more to be impressed for this specific gen.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I am fine with the graphics, but the framerate leaves a lot to be desired on all 3 consoles for a ton of games.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics are the last thing im worried about, budgets and dec cycles are already insane. We dont need new consoles, we need to let devs reuse their tools and assets to get out games faster.

I don't get this... There are too many games to play as is. How much time do y'all really have to need more faster.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Graphics are still impressive, probably more so than ever right now, especially with some games pushing 60fps and still looking really great.

Next gen will only make it even better though, as we get more powerful GPU's and move away from those old ass Jaguar chips, to the much faster Ryzen CPU's.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Division 2 regularly impresses me. The lighting model is amazing, dynamic lighting and shadowing from everything it seems like, even the little orange Division logo on your character's shoulder and wrist, and the lights on the underside of the drones, muzzle flash, etc all dynamically light the environment and cast shadows.

Environments are super impressive too.

Anthem is another one. Total buggy and disappointing trash of a game but it's a very graphically impressive game, even though it's heavily downgraded from the reveal trailer.

On console, DMCV, God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, Forza, Halo 2 Anniversary in 4K are all super impressive to me.