• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this gen's graphics starting to feel long in the tooth or are you still continually impressed?

• Still impressed

Votes: 2,584 73.9%
  • Bring on Next-Gen already

Votes: 913 26.1%

• Total voters

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed in a lot of threads lately, seemingly nothing from the current crop of releases (and upcoming games) seems to impress people on the visual front. Even myself am finding that lack of "wow" from new games. I've seen a lot of people go crazy over DMC's visuals, but all I can see myself is one compromise after the next - particularly on the environment side. Similarly, many people are completely indifferent or even disappointed for the visuals of Borderlands 3.

Are we hitting peak and monotony? Are you getting that next gen itch? Or are you still impressed and happy with current systems?

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the only games that impress me are the ones with 4k output. Couldn't imagine going back to base consoles.

Imo xbox one x and ps4 pro should be enough to keep this gen afloat for at least two years.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It's hilarious when people go into video game budget threads and talk about how developers don't need to chase graphics

This generation is amazing visually and I'm impressed every other game

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't impress me, but I'm fine with it. Only bring next gen when 4K and RT becomes cheap enough.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
All I have to do is look at Forza Horizon 4 on my X, or GoW on my Pro, and I'm good.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its like all generations in the past. Some games do indeed make it appear like technological or idea stagnation has occurred while others show otherwise.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Things seem just fine to me. What we have now but with more consistent higher resolutions and frame-rate is all I need really.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
This generation is still pulling out some absolutely incredible looking games but I'd still prefer to have some new hardware. Not because games look bad now but because they can STILL look better.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I mean regardless of how pretty some screen grabs can get, this gen has been mired from the start by totally mediocre performance.

If a game is running at 30 fps, it literally doesn't matter how good it looks, it's still a bad experience.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not wowed by DMC or The Last of Us 2 then I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm impressed.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a mixed bag tbh, as a X and Pro owner.

On one hand games can certainly look amazing whether FH4 or HZD. But on third party titles, it's more mixed, and we're still mostly stuck at 30fps outside Capcom's games and that sucks. LoD pop in is another really annoying thing on consoles this gen.

Sekiro's performance on consoles is pushing me to invest in a gaming PC. I hate unlocked framerates, I want that silky smooth locked 60fps on my OLED.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I don't care for visual fidelity. Framerates and native display resolution are more important to me than graphical fluff.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason for consumers to want a new generation of consoles. *runs*

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
nah I am still pretty impressed and unlike last gen where it was only the first party titles pulling the weight, third part and first party this gen have been impressing me in general so late into this gen

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not necessarily still "impressed" exactly, but I also don't feel the need for improvement in graphics. Performance on consoles is the only improvement I really want. Current graphics are more than good enough for me. Below 60 FPS on consoles is not.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unless games suffer from a particularly bad art style I feel like pretty much every game released these days looks really, really good. It's more about craft than straight up raw fidelity and visual effects imo.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of both?

We definitely need new hardware, but games are still doing impressive things. DMC5's character models at 60fps are straight up nuts, MK11 is a huge leap in the same gen over MKX, etc.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is one of the most beautiful games in recent years imo, there's so many little details that add so much to the overall look and feel. Artistic design counts for so much more than raw technical prowess.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather developers focus on AI next gen instead of graphics but who am I kidding...

It's got to the point where the graphics we are currently getting are more than good enough. There's been some seriously impressive stuff this gen and if stagnation were to occur (as far as graphics go) then I'm sure we'll be fine.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I just played through God of War, Red Dead 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and some other games.

It is not that I am OVERWHELMED by the graphics, but I am well immersed into the game world by them. They are very appealing to me and I genuinely think those game look fantastic. I am really happy where graphics are. I personally wouldn't mind if games continue to look like this for a while longer, but I am always ready for better

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Pro consoles alleviated that a least for a bit longer, but games still look good in general.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I have stopped buying games that are the pinnacle of tech for consoles, mostly because the end of last gen burned me with better versions releasing in the first years of next gen. I'd rather play them better on the new platforms in the post launch drought.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think we've probably peaked for this gen. Model quality is fantastic and there's been continual improvements to lighting, but CPU bottlenecks and some features like reflections and draw distance as still pretty weak. Bring on PS5 now please.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I mean regardless of how pretty some screen grabs can get, this gen has been mired from the start by totally mediocre performance.

If a game is running at 30 fps, it literally doesn't matter how good it looks, it's still a bad experience.
Get out of here with that hyperbolic nonsense.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Both 2019 Capcom titles have wowed me, I think this gen still has some gas left in the tank in the graphics department!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
not at all , I think we've had several step changes, I do wonder if things like Tomb Raider, RESI2 remake and Anthem will be considered impressive late gen titles or if things will get even better.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still wowed by some games on the X and I still can't wait till this gen is over. I love shiny new visuals... It's pretty important to my enjoyment of games.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I was impressed by RDR2 then right after I played Darksiders 3. Ya games can still impress and let me down at the same time.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I'm playing Ace Combat 7 and I'm blown away with how great it looks. I think I'm always going to be impressed.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about impressed, but I'm pleased still.
Games still look fine.
At most some games look "too good" as in it's hard to see things...but that's probably not the graphic capability's fault

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Games have looked really good for some time now to me. Even the less acclaimed games generally look great and for me its just about whether or not the art style works for me.

The difference now seems to be in the small details which is not something I really care about, but I understand means a lot to the people who are really into the visuals.