• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which generational leap is bigger?

• PS3 / Xbox 360 to PS4 / Xbox One

Votes: 312 35.7%
  • PS4 / Xbox One to PS5 / Xbox Series X

Votes: 561 64.3%

• Total voters

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played a new console yet, but yes. These are modern machines coming out, instead of the Jaguar bound consoles last gen.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
The biggest leap was between PS1 and PS2. Just look at Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2.
But for this gen, yes, PS4 to PS5 is bigger than PS3 to PS4.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
dont have them but this gen feels more like full step forward rather than a half step like ps4/one were

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The SSD alone is the biggest generational leap, nevermind graphics.

We haven't had loading times like this since the cartridge era.

anapestic

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2020
From what I have seen, yes. Raytracing, 120 FPS, 4/8K resolutions, SSDs... some of this stuff is quite leapy. :-)

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Playing astro bot for the first time blew my mind in a way I hadn't seen since Mario 64. CRAZY leap IMO.

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
The leap in CPU is doing wonders. So many 60 FPS games from the jump. Plus we already have a few games that stand out as graphical showcases. This gen is off to a great start.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
XB One was severely underpowered and the PS4 didn't feel on par with mid-range PCs at the time.

The current gen is showing pretty amazing capabilities with 60/1080 30/4k, SSD, controller advances etc.

Much better jump this time.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because last gen consoles were weak the day they were released

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It might be in hardware terms, but in terms of the actual games and visual prowess, absolutely not. Games like Ryse, Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous SS, Driveclub etc were an enormous jump compared to what came before. Even crossgen games like AC Black Flag looked considerably better than the previous AC III.

This gen because of diminishing returns, the games graphically just do not show anywhere near the kind of jump we had before, hell I'd argue there are current gen games that look better than some of the tentpole next-gen multi-platform stuff, eg AC Unity vs AC Valhalla.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The biggest leap was between PS1 and PS2. Just look at Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2.
But for this gen, yes, PS4 to PS5 is bigger than PS3 to PS4.

Nope. The 16 bit largely sprite based systems (snes/genesis) going to consoles capable of 3D polygons, CD audio, and FMV is a leap that will never be topped.

Impossible to describe how big a jump that was in modern terms.

Oct 25, 2017
Like the results of recent US election, this poll is way closer than it should be. The answer hands down is ps4/xb1 to ps5/xsx.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Definitely this one ps4/xb1 to XSX/ps5. But the thing is in general games aren't held back by hardware anymore it's more of a budget and time thing for most studios so the whole "generational leap" thing won't be as noticeable outside of things that are easily apparent like load times to most people.

That's why out all of the impressions and reviews for the hardware and games the only things you really hear about being next generation is the dualsense and load times, and even the load times won't seem that insane to someone who has had a higher end pc for a while.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
So far I haven't felt like it, at least when held up against the PS4 Pro/One X. People are really glossing over how ancient the PS3/360 felt in 2013. In contrast the last gen still feels like it can hold its own, but a lot of that also has to do with nothing yet being available to really show off what's *only* possible on the new consoles. The gap is clearly there, but I don't think we'll really feel it until next year.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's the biggest leap since the PS2/GC gen:
- Best backward compatibility we've ever had on consoles
- Smoothest UIs since we started getting sophisticated UIs on consoles, alongside a lot of big QoL features
- Best load times since cartridges
- For the first time since early PS2 days, new hardware is a big enough leap that most games can run at 60fps
- Nice launch line-up(for one of the consoles, at least)
- Some interesting stuff with PS5 controller, for the first time ever from Sony

Jumping to the $500 price point really paid off imo.

Last edited:

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
In terms of graphics, I feel like the PS3/360 --> PS4/XB1 leap was bigger. 4k gaming looks nice, but it feels more subtle of a change than the leap from SD to HD was.

In terms of performance, PS5/XSX is wayyyyy bigger of a leap. I am loving SSDs so much and can't wait to see how developers take advantage of it this gen.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think these questions are better answered after a bit, we're still quite hyped for the new consoles - and for good reasons. Last time the jump was significant in terms of stable framerates and IQ, now its higher framerates and IQ, buuuut SSDs whew. I'm inclined to say it's the now, but I don't know.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I believe so. The haptic and trigger technology on the PS5 is the real deal. Combined with a massive leap in sound technology/design, it creates a completely unique, new and immersive experience unlike generations before.

Then let's talk about the SSD. The SSD makes games more accessible. It is that simple. It removes the punishment of failing in games. Failure should not be a bad thing in video games, and now that can finally be realized. In prior generations, failure meant waiting for 60-90 seconds to overcome those challenges. Now, players immediately get to jump right back in the game and try again without artificial barriers.

I would argue the leap in visuals is not as huge, but I'm still waiting for 4K/HDR/not a shit LCD TV from 2012 before finalizing that conclusion. Luckily, my LG CX is arriving from Amazon at 1200 tomorrow!

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Unpopular opinion, One S/PS4 to Pro/One X was bigger when it comes to visuals. 4K/HDR is a big deal. I still appreciate all the extra frames and fast loading though.

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this jump is bigger. Last-gen machines were designed in a climate where many analysts and companies didn't even know if there would be a market for console hardware anymore. They were conservatively designed because of that. This gen both manufacturers know that these consoles will sell well for years, have a proper read on the market, and AMD has made huge strides in the quality of their CPUs and GPUs. There aren't even any PC GPUs out yet that use RDNA2 and Zen 2 is still pretty impressive for a CPU, last-gen consoles' CPUs and GPUs were dated on day 1 and didn't have the revolution in storage that SSDs will bring.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
It might be in hardware terms, but in terms of the actual games and visual prowess, absolutely not. Games like Ryse, Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous SS, Driveclub etc were an enormous jump compared to what came before. Even crossgen games like AC Black Flag looked considerably better than the previous AC III.

This gen because of diminishing returns, the games graphically just do not show anywhere near the kind of jump we had before, hell I'd argue there are current gen games that look better than some of the tentpole next-gen multi-platform stuff, eg AC Unity vs AC Valhalla.
Graphically I'm giving it to last-gen easily. Tech wise it's definitely this gen.

basically this to me...
I didn't see Nothing really unbelievable in terms of visuals yet...
Ryse and shadowfall for exemple were so far ahead PS3/360 era that wasn't even funny and they were launch games.
But maybe COVID had affected the launch games that could had really impressive visuals.
Even Horizon trailer that is absolute gorgeous doesnt show the really huge leap from the top PS4/one games.
The only thing I saw that show a really huge step forward from what we have this gen was the hellblade 2 trailer but we really don't know if that will really be the real visuals when the game release.
The hardware i think has the potential to deliver really fantastic things.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Astro's Playroom is the most next gen experience I've had since playing Motorstorm at the kiosk in Target.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
It's a different kind of leap, I think. Nothing is as visually impressive to me as Killzone Shadowfall was during the PS4 launch. That said, this gen obviously brings other massive advancements with it that will definitely be felt such as the reduction in friction thanks to the speed of the SSD and features like Quick Resume as well as stuff like more advanced graphics/performance options in a lot of titles.
Overall I'm definitely content with the leap the new generation seems to bring.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There is nothing on either machine that illustrates a leap like Shadowfall or Ryse.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Easily. Even before playing any next gen games the load time differences are obscene with the X. Then you look at Demon's Souls and think this is a launch title and whew, we've got a fantastic generation ahead.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there's so much cross-gen stuff at launch that it doesn't show yet, graphically, but this gen is a bigger jump for sure, it's much closer to cutting edge tech than last gen was. If I count the Dual Sense and SSD then I prefer this jump. and the cross-gen games are a much bigger jump than, say, TLOU to TLOU: Remastered... hard to believe we went from that to TLOU2. We also had the PS4Pro and XboneX to kind of dampen this jump. I fully expect once the cross-gen games are left behind, we'll really feel the CPU jump.

but yeah, last gen the BIG jump was from 512MB total RAM to 8GB, which was massive and showed *immediately*.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
visually, I don't think its big as Ps3/360 > Ps4/X1

the generation leap is going to be felt in other areas more this time round I think

the loading times I've seen are impressive

Adum

May 30, 2019
Depends. If you go from base PS4 and X1 to next-gen it's huge. If you're coming from Pro and X1X then not
That's absurd. The ONLY difference between the PS4/X1 and the Pro/1X is the bigger GPU. The ONLY difference between the base and pro console's games from last gen are resolution (and sometimes an unstable framerate increase). Even if you're comparing the PS5/XSX to the Pro consoles of last gen it's still an incredibly huge upgrade. Last gen Pro consoles were still shackled just as much as the base consoles by the "weak even at release" CPU and the HDD.