• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trying a shot in the dark here. Sometimes, meat isn't available in the moment. So I'm wondering if any of you would have some recommendations on some brand of dry meat or other protein that has a long shelf life that can be used in a bind. Something that can be stored, and if all else fails, we can rely on it to be a good protein addition to whatever saucy meal we're cooking up.

Thanks

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canned chicken?
There's also Spam. Canned chicken is probably the healthiest you're gonna find for long shelf life meat.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Various textured vegetable protein products but it might be a bit bland for what you're after.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
chickpeas and aquafaba?

you can use the chickpeas for lots of stuff, and the aquafaba can be made into stuff with a bit of work

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Tofu. (I have been using some nice Five Spice Tofu in my stir fries.)

Dried Shiitake Mushrooms. Hydrate with hot water when needed.

Lapchong

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Chop up some Slim Jim's.

But yeah, canned chicken ain't bad. We buy the shredded stuff to make our own chicken salad from time to time. Drain the juice, add mayo, salt, pepper, and jalapenos, and you got yourself some nice spicy chicken salad.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You can buy canned meats - I often buy canned chicken, which is just chicken breast chunks, chicken broth and spices.

(I also have a freeze dryer so I freeze dry meat - among other things - for future consumption, but that's a pretty expensive option and canned meat is a lot cheaper.)

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Canned meats: tuna, spam, sardines, Vienna sausage, chicken. There's a whole aisle of this stuff in any store.

There's also dried meats.

Or just freeze some meats. I don't exactly know what your "bind" is but i image unless you're in the woods that you have a freezer you can keep meat in.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I always have a chorizo and a pepperoni in the fridge. They tend to last somewhere between a few months and a year, depending how long they were on the shelf first.

Good for a diverse array of stuff. Pasta, chickpea stew, pizza topping, roast with veg, etc.

Anchovies keep for ages and whilst they're not a meal in themselves, they can add a lot of flavor to make simple dishes less boring.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Beans and Lentils, they practically store forever and are very cheap and healthy.

Soy-Edamane, Tofu, Tempeh.

Seitan or it's ingredients (Vital Wheat Gluten also called Gluten Flour) you just mix it with water/seasonings and boil it and it has similar macros to Chicken Breast.

Protein Powders, it's not just for lifters, the reason they use it is because of convenience and they can make things like oatmeal taste better and make them healthier.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Vegetable proteins are generally better suited for storage, imo. Beans, lentils, chickpeas and other legumes are extremely well suited to sauces (whether whole, as thickeners or anything in between). There's a good reason they've been staple across most of the world for all of human history.

As for meats, there are good dried sausages that last ages (in the fridge) and can add a lot of flavor to sauces. Not a huge fan of canned stuff, though I occasionally use sardines.

For the flavor alone (not actual protein), dried/powdered mushrooms add a great savory, vaguely meaty taste.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't discount Spam. It's highly versatile in a pinch. Also, dried salami or capicola. You can mince it up and use in a variety of recipes, and as long as it's sealed, can last a few months.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
Nutritional yeast is available as flakes or powder that will dissolve in any liquid.
It has a very mild, umami flavor because of its glutamate content.

It contains about 50g of protein per 100g and can last for years in the pantry.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
in germany in kaufland i buy bovril, which is a UK thing, it's a beef extract. good for making sauces, stews, or even on toast etc. if i can get it in germany then people probably can get it in many other countries too

51z4JefDH3L._AC_.jpg

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chorizo, salami, bacon, anchovies, sardines, and beans. Buy good quality, all delicious!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chorizo would probably be a good one. Lasts a pretty good time, has hell and all flavour to spread through a dish. Sometimes I'll use it for a cooking oil by just throwing a small chunk on the pan first. Gives a really nice color and flavor to anything you throw in after.

Jun 20, 2019
For sauces and such the best answer in my opinion is bouillon or bouillon-like meat reduction. The process preserves the flavor and nutrients while remaining shelf stable.

Nov 4, 2017
Absolutely legumes. Dried chickpeas, lentils and beans will have a best before date of about 2 years from their packing date, which I believe is just due to legislative requirements in some jurisdictions (for example, some places require all substances for human consumption have an expiry or best before date, which is why things that can't go bad like distilled water, vinegar, salt, sugar etc have a best before date). Dried legumes will last decades if properly treated and stored. I keep a massive backlog of them I just rotate through as a food buffer (I ate like a king all through covid food shortages, shat like a champion too).

Some legumes will require overnight soaking and/or hours of boiling, but lentils and peas can be prepared in an hour or so. Learn a few different Dahl recipes, and you'll always have something delicious and nutritious to whip up as a side or to have with rice or bread. Chickpeas are also super versatile, you can make falafel, humus or use them in curries and stews. They have a really earthy flavour, which is great. Just be sure to adequately cook chickpeas and beans though; some can be midly toxic and make you incredibly gassy if not cooked right.

There are some pretty good textured vegetable proteins out there now. I bought some dried stuff in a big resealable pouch that lasts for ages. You soak the little bits in water for a bit, then use them like you'd use mince. It's pretty close and a good source of protein. Also as others have said, plenty of canned meat products out there. Aldi's tuna with olive oil is my jam. Also whole fresh chickens are cheap AF. If you can plan ahead, you can cook a whole chook then break it up into portions and freeze them. I do a Sunday roast for my family and that usually gets us two roast dinners, then a couple more dinners worth of leftover white and brown meat that we use for sandwiches, pasta dishes or just having on the side with other leftovers. That leftover chicken in a couple of pasta dishes will push us out to 5-6 dinners from one bird.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Uh peanut butter is a really obvious one. Delicious on its own, but can be used to make things like Thai peanut sauce.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Trying a shot in the dark here. Sometimes, meat isn't available in the moment. So I'm wondering if any of you would have some recommendations on some brand of dry meat or other protein that has a long shelf life that can be used in a bind. Something that can be stored, and if all else fails, we can rely on it to be a good protein addition to whatever saucy meal we're cooking up.

Thanks
Why is freezing meat not an option?

This is the only time you're going to be warned to not post some stupid, disgusting shit like that. Total unnecessary and unneeded.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where I live they sell Oxtail soup in powdered form. It's a good addition for a meaty sauce.