• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to revisit these classics but I'm seeing that it's not available digitally for PC, and a physical copy of the PC/PS2 versions are expensive and hard to come by.

I no longer have my PS3, but even if I did, I wouldn't play want to play these games on a butchered "remaster".

Am I missing something?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Silent Hill 1 as well, no way to play that on a current gen system legally. Fuck Konami.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
Torrent the PC versions and I remember there was a thread on NeoGaf explaining how to mod them to play/look good.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
For Silent Hill 2 now,

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition

or PS2 versions (the true version)

Xbox 360 / One is HD Collection and this is the worst version (Music broken, sound broken, texture remplacement ugly, fog broke, new voice acting "meh")

edit : dind't know neogaf link is censored here

Last edited by a moderator:

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Im playing hd coll.on ps now. Its more than fine.
And ps2 versions re not that expensive.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to revisit these classics but I'm seeing that it's not available digitally for PC, and a physical copy of the PC/PS2 versions are expensive and hard to come by.

I no longer have my PS3, but even if I did, I wouldn't play want to play these games on a butchered "remaster".

Am I missing something?
8 years ago sh3 on pc was sold for 5-11 euros on amazon, now price has increasedby 1000%

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
On Amazon US, the cheapest used copies for a PS2 system w/controller & for Silent Hill 2 & 3 that I spotted in a quick search came out to around $125 + shipping total. Yeah, you can find cheaper if you do ebay auctions or luck out with a thrift store, but paying over $100 for used copies & old hardware is less than ideal.

Sep 23, 2018
Wow, I wouldn't pay 90 bucks or anywhere close to it for that.
You can play silent hill 1 on PS3 or vita if you buy the download for a few bucks on PSN. As for two and three, sounds like PC or emulation might be the easiest free way to do it. I sure as hell wont buy the HD collection. Also I've paid FAR too much for silent Hill Shattered Memories.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
In the country where I'm currently residing, SH2 alone is the equivalent of 90 dollars, used.
Seems like your country is the actual problem, then... Use eBay?
If you happen to be in Europe (doubtful considering the 90$) and your country has CeX stores, they're fantastic for such purposes. PS2 versions of 2 and 3 would cost you 53€ combined at one such store in my country.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I wouldn't pay 90 bucks or anywhere close to it for that.
You can play silent hill 1 on PS3 or vita if you buy the download for a few bucks on PSN. As for two and three, sounds like PC or emulation might be the easiest free way to do it. I sure as hell wont but the HD collection. Also I've paid FAR too much for silent Hill Shattered Memories.
They released a mediocre Silent Hill on PC, I don't get why they can't port the trilogy on PC, and bring back 4 as well on Steam...

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 is one of the most common games I've ever seen and usually goes for 10-20 bucks/euros. Furthemore, PS2 are incredibly cheap to get.

Oct 31, 2017
I just did a quick search on ebay and SH2/3/4 can be found for 20€ or less each.

Also, if you want the complete SH2 on PS2, go with the Greatest Hits/Director's Cut version.

In the country where I'm currently residing, SH2 alone is the equivalent of 90 dollars, used.

Where are you living ?

Also I've paid FAR too much for silent Hill Shattered Memories.

I found a like new copy for 20€ this summer... The hunt lasted a few years but I lucked out in the end ! :D

Last edited:

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Torrent the PC versions and I remember there was a thread on NeoGaf explaining how to mod them to play/look good.
It is quite sad that this seems to be the only way to get the PC version. It's $250 on Amazon lol.

MODS I'M NOT ADVOCATING PIRACY. I'm just saying it's pathetic that this is actually the only way. OP, I would acquire the PC version and look into Enhanced Edition.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Tempted to take the plunge and spend the 100 bucks on a used PC copy and add the enhance edition mods to it. Would need a external DVD drive as well since my PC doesn't have any.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Buy the ps2 versions on eBay, and run them through pcsx2 if your PC is good enough. That's the best way to play the games

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
It is quite sad that this seems to be the only way to get the PC version. It's $250 on Amazon lol.

MODS I'M NOT ADVOCATING PIRACY. I'm just saying it's pathetic that this is actually the only way. OP, I would acquire the PC version and look into Enhanced Edition.

I'm with you in this one, it is really sad that there is no cheap or easy way to find the PC version, either 2 or 3. And the HD collection is a hot mess imo.

Maybe emulating them with original copies for ps2 is one of the best ways?

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I'm with you in this one, it is really sad that there is no cheap or easy way to find the PC version, either 2 or 3. And the HD collection is a hot mess imo.

Maybe emulating them with original copies for ps2 is one of the best ways?
I've tried this before and IIRC there's issues with the cutscenes in PCSX2

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I played the Japanese PS2 versions easily and for cheap. If you have a molded ps2 or can easily rip the roms from those discs, it would be good. Think they both have full English language support? May have to check.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I was always holding out on this becoming a PS2 classic on PS4. Come on, Konami. I don't care if this is port begging but you're sitting on money. Release all the gambling machines you need, but just give us some dumped ISOs on a store front that we can easily access and give you even more money.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
keep your fingers crossed that PS5 is fully backward compatible with every prior generation

Oct 25, 2017
The enhanced edition team is really making strides with SH2 and they will likely turn the PC version into the best version soon.
I've tried this before and IIRC there's issues with the cutscenes in PCSX2
They don't work in software mode. There is an option in the settings to automatically switch to software mode when a cutscene plays.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I remember when you could just grab Silent Hill 2 for like $5 bucks.
Still wish they would've put the OG Xbox Silent Hill 2 and 4 on XB1 BC.

Isn't Silent Hill 3 not that bad of a port in the collection?

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
XBox versions are cheap af. Usually around $10. And used XBoxes can be found for as low as like $25