• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I know there's probably some market research indicating why a generic render of the (male) main character with a gun or a sword, or maybe a character facing away from the viewer, on the front cover of a game will sell more copies, but I still think it's bullshit whenever I look back at box art from the 16-bit era and earlier. It's almost like the further you go back the more box art was just straight-up florid-ass paintings.

I think this was most common with space and fantasy games. Maybe back in the day they were just borrowing from the tradition of sci-fi and fantasy book covers (the same thing kinda happened to those too when you think about it). That's what was cool about it though. I feel like it honestly helped justify the cost of the games.

Two really small examples I can point out are the box arts for Gradius and Phantasy Star II. I think PSII is an interesting example of the differences between western and Japanese box arts. These kinds of painted box arts were definitely more common in Japan -- I don't even know if they still are, though really it went back and forth. Maybe the Japanese box art would be some cute anime shit while the wester one would be like a Frank Frazetta or Boris Vellajo painting. I think both the PSII box arts are good examples of both sides. There was another Genesis or SNES or whatever game that was like that too, but I can't remember what it's called.

Honestly back then looking at some painting of four dudes taking up a tiny corner of the cover facing a dragon that took up the entire rest of the cover, or a lush landscape with a castle in the background, made me wanna buy that game because I wanted to go there. Paintings of space battles with lasers all over the place and big-ass battleships in the background looked exciting as shit.

Then obviously you have stuff like all Tomb Dubois' box arts, and really everything Konami did probably through the PS2 era. Maybe the starkest example within one franchise was Metal Gear. Up until MGS3 it was simple -- just throw some dope Yoji Shinkawa art up there. From the PSP games onward it was generic CG. WTF happened? Even if you have to have a generic dude with a gun on the front, does it HAVE to be a generic CG render? Metal Gear had 2D painted character art right there, why not just put it on the front cover?

Sometimes these days you might get elaborate 2D painted art in a flip cover or a limited edition but it feels like that's not even really common anymore. Some weird exceptions are some of the box arts for Final Fantasy XIV, and the deluxe edition of FFXV. For some reason only then did Square Enix decide to just let Amano go ham.

Y'know what genre still seems to be allowed to do this a lot? Strategy games. Just go look at Total War Three Kingdoms or ROTK XIV. It's one of the only genres I don't really care about, bot the covers are one of the main reasons I sometimes think about playing them. It just adds to the production value if you ask me.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this thread reminded me of my saved folder of all these dope custom game covers people made. The old site had a huge compilation of user submissions I remember. Era, unfortunately, has a dead thread with two pages and practically no activity....

On topic, unfortunately, it's the way of the past. Barring some rare instances that attempt to specifically invoke those old covers' aesthetics, it's easier for publishers to go simple. And worst of all, it actually sells better. I vaguely remember Bioshock Infinite's devs were pissed that they just had "generic white dude with gun" on the cover because the publisher's market research determined it would sell significantly more like that. Ended up releasing some alternative ones for download. Mainstream just has bad taste I guess

Just like how we're never going back to the vastly superior sprite-based pokemon of the DS era, and are stuck with the arguably more lacklustre 3d models (I haven't played SwSh so no idea if they animate better than 3ds pokemon games)

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, even though I only buy games digitally nowadays, I miss that kind of box art too.

CmnwCTBn9-LVm8eknRMWYK0gQsOUMrYIIJ6gZElucq5JPEcuX8H2wQ9lK1ksUcZT6OHLTjNhCEgu8nmpR5k60iDxRUO56vLT

FS2cAarhFYPsbfrhmf0g_sVPN_wzzyFR2uuYX1tfEA6Hc4DLw9n136OWfKVWeCgKT1A_8uwpeiQMhCQPt3wFfp_wOEh17OPlwonZlcFnvsVlleDRihkH1d-3lLIs9URTfdPX5-exBA

a4f80a978ceece367ba14cb0fd62daae.png

brataccas-roger-dean-e1438615294111.jpg

9b1b36d3bc6712a4de8f54ae8df41199.jpg

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
Smash Bros Ultimate and Kingdom Hearts 3 might count as recent examples of what you're looking for

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's all about marketing so outside of a reverse cover or limited editions I think what your after is pretty much over, at least in the AA/AAA space

At least we've moved away from having awful in-game 3D models on boxes

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yomi wo Saku Hana was last year.

L_p0131681374.jpg
I was wondering how often Japanese games still do ornate 2D box arts but I didn't really have a way of checking latest releases or anything. From what I can tell it mostly happens with super traditionalist RPGs (sometimes) and, again, strategy games.
It's all about marketing so outside of a reverse cover or limited editions I think what your after is pretty much over, at least in the AA/AAA space

At least we've moved away from having awful in-game 3D models on boxes
I could understand doing that back in the day when 3D was new and exciting.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Digital art is a hell of a lot cheaper than traditional paintings. It's also much easier to edit and adapt. The aforementioned Smash Bros cover, for example: with each character on its own layer, the marketing team can adjust composition as needs demand.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I was wondering how often Japanese games still do ornate 2D box arts but I didn't really have a way of checking latest releases or anything. From what I can tell it mostly happens with super traditionalist RPGs (sometimes) and, again, strategy games.

I could understand doing that back in the day when 3D was new and exciting.
Wasn't there a thread here on Resetera specifically to post new japanese covers?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I could see things going this way as physical editions become less and less relevant except as collectors items over time