• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I thought the army guy from Avatar was good. There was a sense of relief when he was killed because he felt like the threat rather than all the guns and soldiers.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes.

latest

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Camp pantomime villains give me life.
tenor.gif

66edc2fb38e77bda7e2572bc21ff479aeb2e3cbc_00.gif

The Daleks at their best are 2-D. I find them more terrifying when their simplistic motivation is 'anything that isn't us is impure and must die'.

Whenever they have some dumb plot to take over the Earth it seems silly.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Skynet (T1, T2), Vader/Emperor (Original Trilogy), Sauron/Morgoth are all good. I like the "ominous powerful evil" as the villian.

Oct 27, 2017
"One Dimensional" villains are my favorite kind of villains (Sauron, Palapatine, etc.) or at least the only kind of antagonist I take seriously. I don't believe "complexity" to be an inherent indicator of quality and I don't want to sympathize or "relate" to a villain, it kills the concept for me.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the best villains are usually praised as being complex villains with compelling motives and usually one note villains are criticized such as Broly from DBZ. So I was wondering, is it ever possible to have a villain who is one dimensional or flat but manages to be a good villain nonetheless?
Literally the first thing that came to mind when reading the thread title was Broly, so good job OP! I love Broly because his design is great and he does exactly what he needs to do - beat the living shit out of everyone and inspire some fear. He's a Terminator (there's another good one!). "It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with...it doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear...and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead." That's absolutely my shit.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Surprised no one mentioned OT era Darth Vader, who I think of as way more of the main villain of the trilogy than Sheev, or at least his presence was more vital and Sheev wasn't as developed as a threatening villain until the prequels when we learn how he came to power.

Except you see signs of depth and conflict in Vader in Return of the Jedi once you know that he's Luke's father.

Oct 27, 2017
Well in Sports stories yeah it works. The big bad team the underdogs have to beat. The opposing team is just strong and nothing really else about them.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I think the death eaters definitely helped elevate him, storytelling wise

Also, is he as one dimensional as we think? He had a strong personal tie to kill Harry. While he did want to do the whole, take over thing, those were his motivations beforehand. During the book series, it was all about coming back to power, slowly taking over the ministry, and figuring out how to kill Harry who he had a tangible bond with. It was nicely developed.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad this thread exists. I get annoyed that so often people think that a one-dimensional villain means that the villain is bad or that all villains need a sympathetic backstory/motivation. It's understandable that people want more nuanced and relatable villains rather than the same one-dimensional villains all the time, since complexity can make them more interesting, but it just ignores all the great "one-dimensional villains" that exist in media.

Surprised no one mentioned OT era Darth Vader, who I think of as way more of the main villain of the trilogy than Sheev, or at least his presence was more vital and Sheev wasn't as developed as a threatening villain until the prequels when we learn how he came to power.

Darth Vader has never been a particularly complex villain, but I wouldn't say he was ever one-dimensional either, even before RotJ. He was a fallen Jedi tempted by power in the first movie, and then Luke's father in the second.

The Emperor has never been portrayed as anything other than being evil for the sake of evil from the very beginning.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this thread exists. I get annoyed that so often people think that a one-dimensional villain means that the villain is bad or that all villains need a sympathetic backstory/motivation. It's understandable that people want more nuanced and relatable villains rather than the same one-dimensional villains all the time, since complexity can make them more interesting, but it just ignores all the great "one-dimensional villains" that exist in media.

He was only one-dimensional in ANH

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
So the best villains are usually praised as being complex villains with compelling motives and usually one note villains are criticized such as Broly from DBZ. So I was wondering, is it ever possible to have a villain who is one dimensional or flat but manages to be a good villain nonetheless?

Ronan in GOTG 1

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Why are so many of these from older media, minus Chigurh? Have we lost the art of the one dimensional, cool design, ham master evil characters?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
In the wake of that new Dark Crystal show, I'm surprised nobody has said the Skeksis. They're literally the living embodiment of darkness and evil, draining life from the world for the selfish desire to prolong their own.