• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I've seen a lot of silly things in media but this one has got be the most absurd

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, this entire scene just baffles and leaves me with so many questions. Of all the things to include...why this. The fact that this is taken seriously makes it even more absurd

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
this comes up regularly as new people find it and it is never not hilarious

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
It also helped Caesar cross the Rubicon, Washington the Delaware, and the Allies into Normandy.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I have heard of Beyblade for more than 20 years, but I never watched the show or played the game.

So, what's a Beyblade?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have heard of Beyblade for more than 20 years, but I never watched the show or played the game.

So, what's a Beyblade?

Basically a spinning tops game where you and another player start them spinning at the same time and whichever stops first loses. Of course the anime has all kinds of anime nonsense that couldn't work in real life.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Wait did he just refer to the Biblical exodus story as "history"? lol

Wait is bey blade spinning tops?

really? That's what this anime is about??
Is it really any sillier than people spending their entire lives learning how to kick a ball across a field?

In Prince of Tennis one of the characters wipes out the Dinosaurs:

Call me crazy but I think this is meant to be dramatic imagery and not literal.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first Stand User was Jesus Christ, and pieces of his corpse can give people Stands.

Last edited:

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This is literally 100% as believable and legitimate as the original story in the bible, so I don't understand the ridicule.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Basically a spinning tops game where you and another player start them spinning at the same time and whichever stops first loses. Of course the anime has all kinds of anime nonsense that couldn't work in real life.
Spinning tops + anime
Originally they were spinning tops with a spirit inside of it that the players could manifest. I think the series has moved away from that though.
Thanks.

Are Beyblades sentient like living beings?

For some reasons, I always thought they were spinning robot creatures with some kind of lifeforms inside of them, like Pokemons or Digimons, but with little robots or metal animals controlling some sort of exoskeletons and they were attacking or defending themselves by spinning at each other, I guess, lol...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So Yugioh is a card game that contains ancient Egyptian magic used to contain demons and godlike beings, Beyblade is some spinning top toy that Moses used to part the red seas, and tennis serves can be so fast that the tennis ball raptures space-time, achieves superposition, and somehow collides into the Earth in an extinction level event in one part of space time and results in a simple end of a tennis match in another.

I need to take more drugs.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I love fictional lore that weave real life concepts (whether those real life concepts are true or fictional themselves) into its canon. So for me this isn't a problem at all, it is quite awesome actually.

Kojima does this with MGS (geopolitics, especially in MGS3) and Death Stranding (it would be a spoiler to say this one).

Final Fantasy games do it with real life mythology influencing weapons, bestiaries, storyline mythos and summons.

Shin Megami Tensei does it with Mythology influencing monster designs.

Persona is surely the most fascinating of all. Weaving their fictional lore around psychoanalysis concepts. Some of the Persona and enemies are influenced by real World mythology as well, but in Persona's context it is different from Shin Megami Tensei and Final Fantasy, which just takes them on a surface level. In Persona, the myth and religious influences are there because a subset of psychoanalysis is the study of human myths and folklore in a psychological context.

I'm reading a psychoanalysis book about this concept right now called "Women who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype", highly recommended. I'm almost 100% certain the Persona writers have read this book. It's incredibly fascinating, postulating that the Collective Unconscious of Human Society, though not tangible, is just as important to us as our conscious living. So Persona is actually quite close to real life in much of its lore.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Are Beyblades sentient like living beings?

For some reasons, I always thought they were spinning robot creatures with some kind of lifeforms inside of them, like Pokemons or Digimons, but with little robots or metal animals controlling some sort of exoskeletons and they were attacking or defending themselves by spinning at each other, I guess, lol...
It's not like they're speaking human language or anything, but that's why the players can do such crazy things and they can even die.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I love fictional lore that weave real life concepts (whether those real life concepts are true or fictional themselves) into its canon. So for me this isn't a problem at all, it is quite awesome actually.

Kojima does this with MGS (geopolitics, especially in MGS3) and Death Stranding (it would be a spoiler to say this one).

Final Fantasy games do it with real life mythology influencing weapons, bestiaries, storyline mythos and summons.

Shin Megami Tensei does it with Mythology influencing monster designs.

Persona is surely the most fascinating of all. Weaving their fictional lore around psychoanalysis concepts. Some of the Persona and enemies are influenced by real World mythology as well, but in Persona's context it is different from Shin Megami Tensei and Final Fantasy, which just takes them on a surface level. In Persona, the myth and religious influences are there because a subset of psychoanalysis is the study of human myths and folklore in a psychological context.

I'm reading a psychoanalysis book about this concept right now called "Women who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype", highly recommended. I'm almost 100% certain the Persona writers have read this book. It's incredibly fascinating, postulating that the Collective Unconscious of Human Society, though not tangible, is just as important to us as our conscious living. So Persona is actually quite close to real life in much of its lore.
Yeah but this is a spinning top