• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes obviously but holy fuck are these absolutely terrible.

The Masquerade number in part 2 was annoying enough but at least you could rationalize it, and it was once

But halfway through part 3 and it's like there's a minimum quota to meet for awful musical numbers and they just happen at random. Scene cuts from one place to another bam song and dance.

And the sound mixing is all weak and tinny, no one has any power in their voices

It's maddening

They're not even shot to match to the style of the rest of the show. The show just transforms into a filmed stage production for 3 minutes

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I watched it all the way back when it was released but I remember it was pretty bad. Glad they cut back on it for Part 4.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the guy behind Sabrina (and his other series) loves musical episodes whether they work or not. Personally I feel in most media that isn't a musical shouldn't even try unless it's comedic in nature. More serious fair often falters attempting to pull them off.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it all the way back when it was released but it was pretty back. Glad they cut back on it for Part 4.

It's also extra jarring because they keep shoving actual musical songs from musicials, that were written to move the plot and themes of those musicals, into scenes and they don't fit.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Wait wtf lol. I only saw an episode here or there- latest one I watched was a Christmas special where one of her friends got kidnapped- but it absolutely didn't strike me as a programme that would get a musical number let alone multiple.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Wait wtf lol. I only saw an episode here or there- latest one I watched was a Christmas special where one of her friends got kidnapped- but it absolutely didn't strike me as a programme that would get a musical number let alone multiple.

There's like 6 to 8 in the first 5 episodes of part 3

It's terrible

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

There's two band scenes where theyplau My Sharona and Teenage Dirtbag, nothing to do with anything they just are a band now and do bad covers... like I literally mean they exist for no reason, you'd get the same amount of plot development if we cut to them taking a shit lol.

Not one but two cheeader performances of Tricky in the same episode, a song from Spring Awakening, a song from Sweeney Todd.

In 6 episodes.

And there's more left to come according to a list

And that's on top of them doing Masquerade from Phantom at the end of the previous season

Shoot me.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first season and everytime I open netflix I think about continuing on, but can't muster enough interest. You've really killed that bit of interest i had left with this revelation OP.

Why would they do this?

Oct 27, 2017
This is part (only part of the reason) I dropped the show super hard on Season 3

The tonal mish-mash was awful.

It was uniquely fun in S1, and okay in S2, but they definitely lost the spark in S3

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The showrunner was behind Riverdale, so random musical numbers were frankly only a matter of time lol

I watched the first season and everytime I open netflix I think about continuing on, but can't muster enough interest. You've really killed that bit of interest i had left with this revelation OP.

Why would they do this?

It's a terrible show that arguably has one of the worst series finales ever, so you'd be dodging a bullet anyhow

Oct 27, 2017
The first season was really great. Don't know what happened after that. They went more pop comic than horror comic. The musical numbers really put the nail in the shows coffin. I swear at one point they just started copying shows like MTVs Teen Wolf to have ideas for villains until the end the show. Only Teen Wolf was much, much better.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh I thought they were over in Part 4 and then there's the worst version of Tomorrow Belongs to Me from Cabaret that I've ever heard

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ahhhh I thought they were over in Part 4 and then there's the worst version of Tomorrow Belongs to Me from Cabaret that I've ever heard

The songs in season 4 are even worse. There's a "heavy metal band from hell" that is the most toothless pub rock you've ever heard, then the worst version of Sweet Child Of Mine you'll ever come across. At least Time Warp wasn't tooooo bad.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The songs in season 4 are even worse. There's a "heavy metal band from hell" that is the most toothless pub rock you've ever heard, then the worst version of Sweet Child Of Mine you'll ever come across. At least Time Warp wasn't tooooo bad.

What

I'm on episode 4 of part 4... so all of thst is in the last 4 episodes?! Whyyyyu

RadioGaga and Tomorrow Belongs To Me is bad enough

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

So I'm going to give them points

Total Eclipse of the Heart works really because there's a reason for it and it's also montage.

Harvey can't sing the song for shit though lol... but like at least you can go ok Sabrina Morningstar wants to have one last hang with the mortals so of course they'd have a jam session and they wisely montage it so it's not a stilted musical number interrupted

It's the first one that wasn't totally jarring lol

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I think the battle of the bands episode in part 4 is much worse.
Was jarring to see the moment when they pick "the clear winner", they were all garbage.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Can we rather talk about the best Musical Episode on TV?

Scrubs S06E06 - My Musical

Awesome episode in an awesome show.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
BATTLE
Of
The
BANDS
WTF
WHY

Honestly the biggest issue is instrumentation and mixing, it all sounds like really cheap and unnatural

And also they insist in Harvey being the lead singer but he's got the worst voice.

Shipka actually can sing, like her parts of Sweet Child of Mine are fine but there's no weight to any of it.

Time Warp was bad... except for Robin doing Riff Raff... but I'm bias as he's a school friend of mine, I went to University with him lol, we both graduated from the same acting program, him a few years ahead of me. Once of the nicest people I know.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Well finished the show.

Minus the kind of fucked up implications and message of Nick's fate. I quite liked the finale and Sabrina's sacrifice

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched season 3 yet. Should I...not bother?

Save yourself

Well finished the show.

Minus the kind of fucked up implications and message of Nick's fate. I quite liked the finale and Sabrina's sacrifice

Minus those implications as well, thought it was pretty rushed. Also, I know it seems weird to say given how dark this show, but I'm surprised they went there, it's such a downer ending

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Save yourself

Minus those implications as well, thought it was pretty rushed. Also, I know it seems weird to say given how dark this show, but I'm surprised they went there, it's such a downer ending

The show suffered badly from tonal whiplash. My pregnant with a toddler wife was shocked that they straight up killed a baby. Doesn't get much darker than that!

Mar 31, 2018
I have not watched this show but The Good Fight sometimes had these sort of funny comedic cartoons to explain some absurd shit in law / life in season 1 and 2. They were rare so not that bad, some even good but it didn't really match but it was no issue.

For season 3 however they decided it was fun and added them in every episode that I watched. I disliked it so much that I actually stopped watching.

Shame, because I did like the show but it felt like S03 was already going downhill so I sort of lost interest and those things didn't help. Will still return to it at some point, but oof.