• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I'll preface by saying I've been "lucky" (a funny word to use because other carriers can be just as awful) thus far, and have mostly only had to deal with UPS, who have been far better about this. But, basically, the FedEx driver(s) who deliver to my complex are never consistent with when they try to deliver to my apartment or if they're going to try and dump stuff off at the apartment front office.

I got screwed over yesterday when they tried to deliver two big desks I ordered to the front office instead of my apartment...where I've been all day (I work from home these days). They went to the front office, the person working there must've stepped out for lunch...and I end up with two big fat "delivery exceptions" for my tracking statuses.

Have any of you dealt with something similar? And if so...can anything be done about this or am I basically at FedEx's mercy?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe with FedEx, if you create an account and track a package it allows you to specify delivery instructions. They'll sometimes still ignore those, but it might help somewhat.

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I believe with FedEx, if you create an account and track a package it allows you to specify delivery instructions. They'll sometimes still ignore those, but it might help somewhat.

Thank you. I can certainly check that out. Any idea if that's a paid service though? I know calling their customer service phone number isn't going to get me anywhere--the hold to actually speak to someone over the phone is ridiculously long, and they've been unhelpful in the past.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Create account and leave instructions on where to deliver the item(s).

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I can certainly check that out. Any idea if that's a paid service though? I know calling their customer service phone number isn't going to get me anywhere--the hold to actually speak to someone over the phone is ridiculously long, and they've been unhelpful in the past.

It's not a paid service, it's a free account on their website. I may be mixing it up with UPS, but I know for both there's some way to specify delivery instructions as i've had to do that in the past for both when I lived in a very strangely positioned apartment.

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a paid service, it's a free account on their website. I may be mixing it up with UPS, but I know for both there's some way to specify delivery instructions as i've had to do that in the past for both when I lived in a very strangely positioned apartment.

Understood; thanks again. Trying that now.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The best way to not miss packages is to route your FedEx/UPS to a local business (or better, a FedEx/UPS branch) that has pickup options. The downside is now you have to go there and sometimes the line is long. Also IDK how it'd work under Corona.

Oct 27, 2017
Do delivery drivers usually deliver straight to apartments anyway? I live in a building and they leave stuff downstairs in the lobby. I've never had one, for packages or food, delivery straight to my actual door (I'm assuming this is what you're talking about?). Granted, I don't know how your complex is set up

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can move, sadly much of it depends on your driver

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
The best way to not miss packages is to route your FedEx/UPS to a local business (or better, a FedEx/UPS branch) that has pickup options. The downside is now you have to go there and sometimes the line is long. Also IDK how it'd work under Corona.
I hear ya, and that makes sense...but these are some big-ass desks lol. If I wanted to be lugging these things around, I'd've picked them up from the store myself.

Do delivery drivers usually deliver straight to apartments anyway? I live in a building and they leave stuff downstairs in the lobby. I've never had one, for packages or food, delivery straight to my actual door (I'm assuming this is what you're talking about?). Granted, I don't know how your complex is set up
I'd say it's not a difficult complex to navigate at all. But I suppose the drivers could think otherwise. My apartment is actually like 20ft from the road itself.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Fedex is the consistently the worst for me, even worse than USPS which is apparently almost bankrupt due to GOP meddling.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Is it the front office of your particular building or at another building entirely?

This is what I had to do, but for a different reason. I've missed countless FedEx packages that were also labelled as delivered, but were nowhere to be found in the apartment lobby. I mostly change the deliveries to go to the nearest Fedex site.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I had to do, but for a different reason. I've missed countless FedEx packages that were also labelled as delivered, but were nowhere to be found in the apartment lobby. I mostly change the deliveries to go to the nearest Fedex site.

Yeah it can be a complete crapshoot. FedEx lost a foldout table I was having delivered, they said it was delivered but no where to be found. Filed a claim, then that reimbursement also got lost in the mail. Good stuff.

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the front office of your particular building or at another building entirely?

It's a different building entirely unfortunately.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017

I've never lived in an apartment with a lobby and they've always delivered right to my door.

Do you folks that have consistent package delivery issues live in cities? I've always been small town/rural and I've only ever had a handful of package delivery issues. One time the UPS man tied the package in a plastic bag to the fence at the end of our 1/4 mile driveway. I drove by it for 3 days before I realized it was a package and not the neighbors trash.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying (and frustrating...and creepy?), but I may maybe spend an hour or two working from the apartment front office itself. I did ask the front office folks about that, and they said that's fine and that they have wifi there. But the fact that I even have to do that. I'm thinking even if I'm able to "intercept" the delivery person there, I can't have him deliver the stuff to my apartment, huh? :[

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, that sucks.

Do they at least tell you when the leave it there or do you have check yourself?

With regards to this, my apartment office is very good as of late. They seem to have developed some sort of package-notification system: they log all the packages in at the front office, and then send you text/email notifications.

My biggest issue though is having to grab the desks (which I imagine won't be light or small boxes) and lug it up to my second-story apartment (I forgot to mention that; I'm on the second floor--as high as my apartment goes).

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a locked apartment building, so packages are re-routed to the leasing office where I can pick them up. FedEx is BY FAR the worst provider. They show up at irregular hours, don't attempt to deliver to the leasing office (which is only open 10 to 6), and don't update the delivery tracker thing regularly. In the event I order from FedEx, I just have them redirect the package to a local delivery place so I can get it there. We also run into problems with FedEx delivering packages to my work office, which is partially closed to to COVID.

I never run into any problems with Amazon or UPS. It's always FedEx.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed yesterday I had a fedex delivery from some guy in a Uhaul rental truck. I thought only Amazon did this (delivery was fine, just surprised me)

Nov 9, 2017
Fed Ex sucks bad. Just yesterday my GF was super-pissed when we saw the driver hate flinging our package and bouncing it off our front door from 10 feet away on our Ring camera. He actually had a look of utter disdain on his face as frisbee golfed our package at our home lol.

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Fed Ex sucks bad. Just yesterday my GF was super-pissed when we saw the driver hate flinging our package and bouncing it off our front door from 10 feet away on our Ring camera. He actually had a look of utter disdain on his face as frisbee golfed our package at our home lol.

That's terrible, wtf! Was the package okay though?

Oct 27, 2017
I've never lived in an apartment with a lobby and they've always delivered right to my door.

Do you folks that have consistent package delivery issues live in cities? I've always been small town/rural and I've only ever had a handful of package delivery issues. One time the UPS man tied the package in a plastic bag to the fence at the end of our 1/4 mile driveway. I drove by it for 3 days before I realized it was a package and not the neighbors trash.
I live in a city. By lobby I meant, our building has double doors. There's an outside one that's unlocked and they usually leave it in there (as it's hidden from the st) and an inner one that is locked that we use our keys to get into. Although it seems like USPS also has keys as the mailboxes are inside the inner door and they can fill those

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Once an apt office starts accepting packages, it's all over. At my old complex we got great delivery to the door for years until the office started accepting deliveries as a courtesy. There was only ever one person at a time and they were always out showing apartments so either packages got a delivery exception or they were in there but the door was locked because the clerk was out showing a place.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
You can have FedEx deliver to a Walgreens and pick it up at your leisure.

As far as bigger objects, unsure.

OP
OP
badboy78660

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I've created a FedEx account and added some notes for delivery instructions (it seems like a general note; can't apply it to specific packages). The "note" is restricted to 35 characters...so I was able to squeeze out, "Please deliver to apt, not front office." I guess I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...but yeah, this is b.s.