• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gift of Fury

Oct 26, 2017
I think it might be my third favorite fighting game (behind 3S and ST), so I don't think your opinion is crazy. By this time last generation, I had given up on SFIV. I still play SFV weekly.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Maybe this was the case in season 2, but in season 4 CCs have gotten nerfed so the game is way more neutral based now and focuses harder on whiff punishing, if you check top players today there is way more walking forward and blocking or walking in and out of people's ranges to fish for whiffs. For instance Bison's big crush counter button has a fuckton of recovery so you can whiff punish it pretty easily with Rashid's stand mp.

Also i dont think Cammy is a good example for this because she is a very straight forward character, if you look at Du's Guile vs Daigo's Guile you see differences in their gameplay

I don't see much difference (Du and Daigo's Guile). I also don't see a real impact of a CC nerf, players are still doing the same things, fishing for counters and CCs. Maybe a character here and there got it worse, but overall it's the same game.

I don't see much difference in any player's style. I could watch a match with Punk's Karin or Bonchan's Karin and if I didn't have any indicators who it is I would be hard pressed to tell.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
I don't see much difference (Du and Daigo's Guile). I also don't see a real impact of a CC nerf, players are still doing the same things, fishing for counters and CCs. Maybe a character here and there got it worse, but overall it's the same game.

I don't see much difference in any player's style. I could watch a match with Punk's Karin or Bonchan's Karin and if I didn't have any indicators who it is I would be hard pressed to tell.
Count the hit confirms, the one who has more is Punk

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
As a scrub that still approaches Street Fighter as if I was still a pre-teen playing SF2 in arcade or on SNES, I had a difficult time wrapping my head around SFV.

The V-Triggers didn't seem very useful without seriously considering its utility wrapped up in other mechanics or moves. Like many felt they were designed to be 'step-3' in a 5-step combo I didn't know how to perform...and this conflicted with my early 90's muscle memory of approaching the game and fundamentals, which meant V-triggers may as well not exist. (Though over time I started to make the effort to weave some in, but to little success or satisfaction or excitement...so meh)

Game is in a better place now, but every major update I reinstall and I'm out after a few matches. SFIV held my interest for weeks with similar upgrades, despite all its faults(and not using the mechanics to full effect either!) So either my nostalgia fever for the franchise is dying off, or SFV is just kind of a turgid installment in my mind.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
For the people that think that it is the best Street Fighter or Fighting Game, what exactly in your opinion does it do better than Street Fighter 3rd strike or Xrd for example?

I want to love Guilty Gear. I love everything about Guilty Gear except when I try to play it against other humans I realize that I apparently just have no idea how you're even supposed to play these games. Yet I keep buying them and have since X2.

For a long time I thought GG was my main fighting game and I had no interest in Street Fighter (which is why I have little nostalgia for 3S). At some point I just had to step back and realize that I wasn't actually having much fun with it. SFV just intuitively felt good from the start and was the first SF game I took to that well. Yeah I get that it's because that the execution barrier was lowered for a lot of stuff, but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. If I had time for fighting games these days I really would like to give DBZ a shot because it seems like that kind of middle ground I'm looking for. But I probably missed the boat there anyways.

List wars about X and Y feature never made much sense to me and 'it feels right' is such a nebulous thing that I don't really think comparing them directly makes sense at all. I'm not the one arguing it's the best fighting game of all time though. Just saying I enjoyed it more personally.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
That's a terrible opinion to have but I'll respect it. Street Fighter V is built for casuals and the combos don't even have tough links. Dropping a combo happens but not as much as in SF IV where you had actual depth and strategies such as option select. I like V better but there's no doubt in my mind that V is hated for the watered down combat. I mean nobody has seen like "WOW" Sakonoto combos in V have they? V is everyone doing the same combo and all about not risking that uppercut or tech to get crush countered.
While you're right for the most part about lack of combo variety, Sako has done some insane shit with Menat's VT1. Getting a odd, awkward hit, and still converting it into a 10 second combo.

To contribute to the thread, I love SF5, but even I can't give it the best fighting game award. I do want to commend it for its accessibility, and its tremendous balance. Character variety in tournaments, especially for the winners, is rarely this high.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
It's my Fighting Game of the Generation and probably my Game of the Generation. I think the only reason I don't rate it higher because it has a lot of obvious flaws but I love playing it and push aside new games to spend more time grinding it out online. I still haven't finished Sekiro, which is fantastic, because I'd rather play SFV.

If I had to rank SF series, currently it would go 3S > V > IV > II > Alpha. Admittedly, part of that is because I played the Alpha series the least.

What appeals to V to the most is that it fixed many of 4's big problems, a series I had a lot of issues with, and took a bunch of cues from what my dream SF would be. Every character gets installs, a bigger focus on rushdown, less safe DPs, less focus on lights into everything, better animations, more cohesive character designs (it's dumb a Russian bear wrestler has one move where his hand lights up with green fire and I'm glad that move is gone).

The problem was the execution. If SFV launched like AE then the narrative of the game would be completely different in the casual community. The FGC community would have the same opinions, much like the FGC had a lot of problems with IV for many years, but the dominant image of the game for most people would be that it was a good game.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's not my favourite in the series but it certainly receives the most unjustified hate I've seen for any fighting game. It's pretty funny to see people trip over their own feet trying to justify why they hate it though especially in regards to some characters having low execution requirements or saying that there's a lower skill cap when 4 had ridiculous option selects and FADC reversals.

Still, KI2's been my favourite fighter of the generation and that's solely down to my having more fun playing it rather than it having anything to do with balanced mechanics.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
That's a terrible opinion to have but I'll respect it. Street Fighter V is built for casuals and the combos don't even have tough links. Dropping a combo happens but not as much as in SF IV where you had actual depth and strategies such as option select. I like V better but there's no doubt in my mind that V is hated for the watered down combat. I mean nobody has seen like "WOW" Sakonoto combos in V have they? V is everyone doing the same combo and all about not risking that uppercut or tech to get crush countered.

It isn't built for casuals. The combo leniency was designed for online play and the 3f buffer has been a staple of ASW games since last generation.

The removal of option selects was to add some of the decision making that those exploits removed. You're trying to guess what one of five options your opponent will choose but they can use an OS that automatically picks the best of three of them. It's like bunnyhopping in old FPS games, it provided an advantage the majority of the time and more knowledgeable players used it but the game wasn't designed with it in mind and you lose something in exchange for it existing.

Regardless, if you cut out the poor launch stuff, the reason V doesn't gel with people is how brutally unforgiving the gameplay is. Defensive options are weaker and you need to understand how everyone's moves work in order to slip out of your opponent's pressure. Before the answer to pressure was DP whereas in V it may be waiting for a pressure string to have a gap so you can safely jab to stop your opponent walking forward. The offense is very oppressive and until you start getting to the higher levels you don't really get room to breathe because lower level players can't keep their opponents out.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and here is my monthly rant : 3S is the best game ever when it comes to graphics, music etc... and one of the worst Street Fighter ever when it comes to gameplay.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did nobody actually like 3S's gameplay beyond the hardcore crowd until it came out on PS360 and everybody started to fawn over it for internet cool points. Parry is the worst mechanic in the series and I can't imagine someone who enjoys that hating SFV. Once you start playing skilled opponents, SF3 reveals how ridiculously infuriating it is. It's obviously very fun to watch though.

This says more about you than it does about the game. If you can't see the immediate difference between Punk and every other Karin, then you're probably not watching the game at all.

Last edited:

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017

Yeah there has to be a reason why he thinks it's the best, maybe because he wins so often. In all honesty though I think a lot of Japanese players really enjoy SFV.

At the same time he plays Akuma, which to me seems like one of the most complete characters in the game. Seems like Akuma has the answer for everything, and he has damn near mastered Akuma

A lot of characters are pretty good design wise though. I absolutely love Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim. Very nice design

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
An argument can be made that it is the second worst SF, after the first one. It is certainly not near the top. Still a great game though.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did nobody actually like 3S's gameplay beyond the hardcore crowd until it came out on PS360 and everybody started to fawn over it for internet cool points. Parry is the worst mechanic in the series and I can't imagine someone who enjoys that hating SFV.

This says more about you than it does about the game. If you can't see the immediate difference between Punk and every other Karin, then you're probably not watching the game at all.
It's safe to say a lot of people in this thread are like "no way ST and 3S are the best" because they seem like the "right" answers for best SF game to date. When odds are they played a bit of ST when they were kids and barely even touched 3S lol.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's the 2nd worst Street Fighter (mainline entries only). I deeply regret buying it.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land

If that's the case, I suppose I also said more about a lot of people other than myself than I did about the game.

There is no difference at any given time other than one player connecting with more counters more often and optimizing damage from them.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
If that's the case, I suppose I also said more about a lot of people other than myself than I did about the game.

There is no difference at any given time other than one player connecting with more counters more often and optimizing damage from them.
Justin Wong, Sako.and Infiltration all play very different menat's. Momochi and Angry Bird are very different Zeku's. Neon and Nephew play very different Kolin's. Rof and Fuudo play Birdie very differently. Smug and Strider's Gs are quite different. Etc.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did nobody actually like 3S's gameplay beyond the hardcore crowd until it came out on PS360 and everybody started to fawn over it for internet cool points. Parry is the worst mechanic in the series and I can't imagine someone who enjoys that hating SFV. Once you start playing skilled opponents, SF3 reveals how ridiculously infuriating it is. It's obviously very fun to watch though.

Yeah I dont get it either. 3S was HATED when it was out. There's a reason they consider it a sales failure. I'm pretty sure most people rave about it on here because they watched the justin wong video and haven't played very many good people. Otherwise they'd be used to the other person mindlessly whiffing normals at full screen then confirming super off of one button with any of the top tier characters. Not that I mind that, but I imagine most people here who talk up 3S would hate how cheap of a game it is.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My order is USF4/SF5/ST/Alpha 2/3S/Alpha 3. I don't think of any of the SF games as that great though.

This is precisely it. Tekken 7 gets a lot of this too, but Tekken 7 is a good game.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

SFV would be a far better game if it had a real parry. Everyone likes to complain about jump ins and wakeup, parry would give people more options in those situations. I hope they eventually include an Omega mode with parry, I'd love to just see how the game pans out with one.

Yeah I dont get it either. 3S was HATED when it was out.

It was hated cause it had no exposure other than people talking shit about it, with a vast majority never even played it first hand. That would just get parroted over and over. Once the game was easily accessible though re-releases that changed.

Last edited:

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
SFV would be a far better game if it had a real parry. Everyone likes to complain about jump ins and wakeup, parry would give people more options in those situations. I hope they eventually include an Omega mode with parry, I'd love to just see how the game pans out with one.

It was hated cause it had no exposure other than people talking shit about it, with a vast majority never even played it first hand. That would just get parroted over and over. Once the game was easily accessible though re-releases that changed.
Uhh I'm gonna guess that that's not the case. They changed up the formula and a vocal subset of players didn't like it so it got a bad rep (sound like any modern Street Fighers? hmmm?). You can't really say that the successor to SF2 had no exposure lol. Just by virtue of being the Street Fighter after SF2, everyone's gonna give you a chance. I assume the lack of popular characters and the completely different game experience is why people shit all over it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh I'm gonna guess that that's not the case. They changed up the formula and a vocal subset of players didn't like it so it got a bad rep (sound like any modern Street Fighers? hmmm?). You can't really say that the successor to SF2 had no exposure lol. Just by virtue of being the Street Fighter after SF2, everyone's gonna give you a chance. I assume the lack of popular characters and the completely different game experience is why people shit all over it.

This would be wrong.

It didn't have exposure cause arcades were in their death throes, the cab was also crazy expensive compared to other cabs, and a lot of people lost interest in 2d fighters cause 3D was taking over. Even if someone had no issues with the new cast, just finding a SF3 cabinet to play was a chore in itself. It wouldn't be until console releases (Dreamcast at first. 2 years after it's arcade release) and later re-releases that a lot of people actually got their hands on the game.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
This would be wrong.

It didn't have exposure cause arcades were in their death throes, the cab was crazy expensive compared to other cabs, and a lot of people lost interest in 2d fighters cause 3D was taking over. It wouldn't be until console releases (Dreamcast at first) and later re-releases that a lot of people actually got their hands on the game.

Yeah, this. And 3s scene was pretty big in certain areas of the country because they did have access to those cabs. EC/WC, Texas, Detroit..and Omaha, etc

The real unfortunate bit is the shitty port of 3s on DC.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest SFV is the first Street Fighter I did NOT dive deep into at all and I've been playing since I was a fucking kid. I don't really have a great reason for it but it didn't call to me that much. It definitely hit in a weird time of my life. In contrast I was balls deep in SF4 from vanilla to the end.

To the OP's point, nothing has yet to take CvS2's crown.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
This would be wrong.

It didn't have exposure cause arcades were in their death throes, the cab was also crazy expensive compared to other cabs, and a lot of people lost interest in 2d fighters cause 3D was taking over. Even if someone had no issues with the new cast, just finding a SF3 cabinet to play was a chore in itself. It wouldn't be until console releases (Dreamcast at first. 2 years after it's arcade release) and later re-releases that a lot of people actually got their hands on the game.
I'll concede that I don't know how much exposure it got in the general public, but generally you don't get everyone hating on it unless there's something that people don't like about it. Not to say that they're justified (as I think a lot of the SFV hate is kinda a joke), but obviously people thought they had something to be mad about.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll concede that I don't know how much exposure it got in the general public, but generally you don't get everyone hating on it unless there's something that people don't like about it.

Are you new to the internet and the gaming community? Hating on shit with no knowledge of the actual game is it's speciality.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay is good, but the new characters, music, and stages are all kind of boring, in my opinion. The only new character I like is Menat, and the only new stages and their accompanying music I like are the "Ring of ..." stages. The Halloween stage's music gets a special mention for being unique, but it gets kind of annoying if you listen to it too much.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll concede that I don't know how much exposure it got in the general public, but generally you don't get everyone hating on it unless there's something that people don't like about it. Not to say that they're justified (as I think a lot of the SFV hate is kinda a joke), but obviously people thought they had something to be mad about.

SF3 hate became a meme on SRK forums that spread outside of it. A lot of people trash it without even understanding how the game plays on a basic level. It's just people joining in on the collective to look cool on forums.

Are you new to the internet and the gaming community? Hating on shit with no knowledge of the actual game is it's speciality.

Exactly. You should see some of the dumb takes on 3rd strike people post just to look cool with the rest of people who hate on things for whatever. Hell, SFV suffers from the same problem.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
SF3 hate became a meme on SRK forums that spread outside of it. A lot of people trash it without even understanding how the game plays on a basic level. It's just people joining in on the collective to look cool on forums.

Exactly. You should see some of the dumb takes on 3rd strike people post just to look cool with the rest of people who hate on things for whatever. Hell, SFV suffers from the same problem.
I mean lets be real. SF3 hate was borne out of the people who went to play it back in the arcade days, not from SRK. New Gen and 2nd Impact weren't great(even if there exist people who will fight me on the notion of 2nd Impact sucking). Tons didn't like it and still don't.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People are sleeping on the competitive scene of Smash Ultimate in this thread.

I used to be very skeptic about Smash in general ( enjoyed Brawl but hated 4, but never regarded them as proper fighting games).

Ultimate is incredibly balanced for the insane roster and it has a ton of different gameplay-styles.

Some Pac-Man players are insane.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe this was the case in season 2, but in season 4 CCs have gotten nerfed so the game is way more neutral based now and focuses harder on whiff punishing, if you check top players today there is way more walking forward and blocking or walking in and out of people's ranges to fish for whiffs. For instance Bison's big crush counter button has a fuckton of recovery so you can whiff punish it pretty easily with Rashid's stand mp.

Also i dont think Cammy is a good example for this because she is a very straight forward character, if you look at Du's Guile vs Daigo's Guile you see differences in their gameplay
Whiff punish is barely a thing in SFV. Hurtboxes disappear halfway through. Why do you think Birdie player spam normals in neutral all the time?