• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
You stop this Gowcaizer smear campaign right now.
sm3UBZG.jpg

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Care to show me that infiltration Akuma vortex? He played 99% zoning and footsies.
Did you start following SFIV at the end of its life?! Infil spent most of his SFIV career playing a vortex heavy Akuma, he didn't really start branching to other characters until Ultra SFIV when they added delayed wake up.

Oct 28, 2017
There are assuredly some who do, but I'm not one of them. I've put in more than 1000 hours and I'm still disappointed by how conservative the design of the game is. The devs have very specific ideas about how each character should play and what they should / shouldn't be able to do. Enforcing that like they have sucked a lot of the creativity out of the game. The meta is still heavily skewed towards rushdown / mixups and they can't even be bothered to buff v-reversals, the one defensive mechanic in the game. I think the game would be much better if they just increased the pushback on the majority of normals (especially on air-resets) and fireballs.

The v-system as a whole is very hit-or-miss and just feels like wasted potential to me. They clearly took at least a little inspiration from KI, but that game did everything it could to make each character feel unique. Pretty much everyone had their own unique subsystem or mechanic and it made each character fun to explore. SFV just doesn't have that. Strong versatile tools are rare in SFV and many of the ones present are locked behind v-trigger.

All that being said, it's not trashy anime, a 3D fighter, or made by NRS. So it's by default one of the best fighters this generation.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they keep the good from SF5 in SF6. I think crush counters, crossplay, and the removal of 1f links were good changes.

V-triggers can die in a fire though, as can the setplay heavy and reactionary nature of the game. They dumbed down neutral way too much.

Another thing I didn't like about SF5 was after S2 - they destroyed everything fun about who I liked to play because they didn't like Mena winning. They made Birdie good again this year, but everything I liked about playing him was gone and now he plays a lot more generic and in a style I don't like.

In general, most of the big changes SF5 made over the lifecycle made things more standardized and generic, and less fun.

Once SC6 came out I have no desire to ever touch SF5 again. SC6 occasionally makes bad changes, but they at least add fun stuff with each update.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SF2 ignited the figting games craze that spawned hundreds of imitations. It made fighting games the equivalent of today's FPS / MOBA / BR. Smash Bros spawned... PS All Stars? Despite its absurd sales, Smash didn't really have a big of impact on the genre.
Not that I disagree but there are tons of smash clones

Last edited:

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
Definitely not. I didn't like that they simplifed the technical aspects after IV so it was never a game for me. Most of the earlier SF:s are better in my opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
It's my GOAT fighting game. I have a soft spot for everything Street Fighter, and SFV just clicks with me on every level in a way no other fighting game has.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Blazblue Central Fiction is the greatest fighting game of all time. I do think Street Fighter V is the best Street Fighter, though I prefer the Soul Calibur franchise over the Street Fighter franchise as a whole. Something like:

BB > SC > SF > Tekken > KoF > GG > Mahvel-likes >>>>>>>> Midways / Netherrealms

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
For the people that think that it is the best Street Fighter or Fighting Game, what exactly in your opinion does it do better than Street Fighter 3rd strike or Xrd for example?

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
I think Blazblue Central Fiction is the greatest fighting game of all time. I do think Street Fighter V is the best Street Fighter, though I prefer the Soul Calibur franchise over the Street Fighter franchise as a whole. Something like:

That new MK looks sick tho.

For the people that think that it is the best Street Fighter or Fighting Game, what exactly in your opinion does it do better than Street Fighter 3rd strike or Xrd for example?
It's very simple for noobs like me to play.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
While nobody outside of PSABR gave enough money to a project like this, you are missing some non indies, including two by Capcom:
Viewtful Joe Red Hot Rumble
Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends
Onimusha Blade Warriors
TMNT: Smash-Up
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion
Guilty Gear Dust Strikers (arguably)
Marvel Super Hero Squad
Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars
(some will also argue about Shrek Super Slam, I guess)

It's pretty interesting that all of them are spin-offs or licensed.

Lots of those games are platform fighters yes, but of the ones you mention, only Punchtime Xplosion is a smash Bros copy.
All the others ignores at least one of the most basic of the smash Bros Mechanics: the percentage kill condition

It is like saying judo simulations or Fighters Destiny are sf2 clones

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

I love BBCF. The additions + changes to OD are great, and the game feel is as fluid as ever. So fun!

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Option selects are literally "turn my brain off and let the game play for me." I'm so glad SFV fixed a lot of SFIV's problems. Sorry if I want to win because I made better decisions than my opponent, not because I happened to know one more option select than they did.

You do know OS still exists in SFV?

Whiffing lights midscreen and buffering to a special or VT while poking limbs is an OS.

You're glad SFV fixed SFIV's problem of having defensive tools?

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Vampire Savior is the greatest fighting game in existence and it saddens me greatly that we'll never see a fourth entry in the series.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Whiffing lights midscreen and buffering to a special or VT while poking limbs is an OS.

I think what people want is no option selects, but enough defensive options. In SFV it was mostly block or backdash/tech throw. DPs got neutered too much, as did V-reversal, and eventually Birdie armor got nerfed hard. This lead to offensive oki being stale and braindead- you had a meaty you used it.

And this is the fundamental problem with SFV - they made a game that was about setplay, but the setplay itself was dull and boring.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, but they're drastically reduced. Option selects are a byproduct of how fighting games work so you're always going to have at least some. And what a weird strawman. I never made that argument although sf4's flawed game design benefited motion characters far more than charge characters. FADC specifically was something that motion characters always had access to while charge characters often didn't.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I like Street Fighter V, and I think that it is one of the best active fighting games, but I would not place it in my top five all-time fighting games.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
SFV is a colossal misstep, and it came at a time right when fighting games had a real breakthrough opportunity. Look at how well SFV is doing in spite of it being a deeply flawed, boring, slow game. Imagine what a really good SF would have been like during this time.

Oct 25, 2017
This BBCF love <3
Lots of those games are platform fighters yes, but of the ones you mention, only Punchtime Xplosion is a smash Bros copy.
All the others ignores at least one of the most basic of the smash Bros Mechanics: the percentage kill condition

It is like saying judo simulations or Fighters Destiny are sf2 clones
I dunno how you can say that Red Hot Rumble and Onimusha aren't copies, and all of them have ring outs as kill condition even without %s.

Even then, that doesn't make my reply invalid: the poster said the only non indie game Smash inspired was PSABR. All of those are clearly inspired by Smash, some down to game modes and inputs.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This BBCF love <3

I dunno how you can say that Red Hot Rumble and Onimusha aren't copies, and all of them have ring outs as kill condition even without %s.

Even then, that doesn't make my reply invalid: the poster said the only non indie game Smash inspired was PSABR. All of those are clearly inspired by Smash, some down to game modes and inputs.

Soul Calibur is inspired by smash =O

Yeah they are inspired but ... SF2 for GBC had simplified inputs

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
How is SF5 deeply flawed?

That's a long story. The first thing I'd point to is the way the game is played due to it's design- matches revolve around fishing for counter hits and crush counters. The risk/reward for fishing for counter hits is largely determined by the character. Cammy for example can shimmy and fish for counter hits so well and the damage is so huge for even one connected counter, why do anything else. This by itself isn't a deal breaker, but what ends up happening due to that design flaw is it removes a lot of the creativity and personal expression that good fighting games are known for.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Not even a top 5 fighter this gen. Without the name people would have moved on already.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 0-18 online :-( Love the game, though I obviously don't have the skill to judge in comparison lol. It's not my all time fave though.

Edit: My favorite might be Virtua Fighter 5 Online. Soul Calibur is up there too. Street Fighter 2 Turbo is probably my favorite Street Fighter game, though that could be nostalgia talking.

Last edited:

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
That's a long story. The first thing I'd point to is the way the game is played due to it's design- matches revolve around fishing for counter hits and crush counters. The risk/reward for fishing for counter hits is largely determined by the character. Cammy for example can shimmy and fish for counter hits so well and the damage is so huge for even one connected counter, why do anything else. This by itself isn't a deal breaker, but what ends up happening due to that design flaw is it removes a lot of the creativity and personal expression that good fighting games are known for.

Maybe this was the case in season 2, but in season 4 CCs have gotten nerfed so the game is way more neutral based now and focuses harder on whiff punishing, if you check top players today there is way more walking forward and blocking or walking in and out of people's ranges to fish for whiffs. For instance Bison's big crush counter button has a fuckton of recovery so you can whiff punish it pretty easily with Rashid's stand mp.

Also i dont think Cammy is a good example for this because she is a very straight forward character, if you look at Du's Guile vs Daigo's Guile you see differences in their gameplay

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I realize we're in a state that might find this question funny, but I believe it. Ever since it's launch, I've been playing SFV steadily since launch, and to this point, I truly believe that I have enjoyed it more than any other fighting game ever made. I think it's gorgeous, made for the FGC (including people they may want to bring into it) possibly to a chokehold extent, and just an incredible experience over theses years. I love SFV. I love everything about it.

SFV launched nearly over half a decade ago, and it's going to be the headliner at Evo 2019. How do you feel about it?
I can't imagine anyone honestly thinking that unless they've never played other good fighting games. Hell, I'd say SFV is one of the worst Street Fighter games overall, so it's not even the best within its own series.