• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
So, light backstory for this question:

For the longest time I was console only. I grew up on them and never really saw myself getting into PC gaming due to a number of reasons that basically resulted in them not being as accessible as consoles to me. I've pretty much bought every console that has released since I could afford to (starting with like the Xbox 360) because I didn't like missing out on exclusives (I know PC has a few as well, but they are usually games for genres that I'm not that much into).

However this year was different. This year I decided to finally look into PC gaming. I've always kept my eye on it, but never pulled the trigger until now due to growing pains of most console games being locked to 30fps. So with that, I decided to do some research and easily found out all the issues I had with PC gaming were pretty much a non issue these days.

With that settled, I dived right in. I hopped on the net and gathered all the info I could about building a PC.....from there the rest was history. I've always been a fan of higher performance and quality, so witnessing how much better PCs are in this regard really hooked me.

Anyhow, that brings me to my topic question. With Microsoft having so much of it's own content and exclusives on PC, is there really a point to me buying a Scarlett? I mean what would I really be missing out on if I didn't upgrade my Xbox One X and just used my PC for my Xbox fix? Gamepass is awesome on PC and I even enjoy the XBL features and apps on my PC more than I do on my X. Backward compatibility is a non issue for me as well since I'll be keeping my XB1X and 360.

I also apologized if this topic has already been discussed in another thread. I frequently browse here and haven't happened to see one yet.

Edit: should've included this from the start, but I have my PC in the living room and I love it! So couch gaming with a controller is a non issue for me. I'm also absolutely buying a PS5. Sony released too much exclusive heat on PS3 and PS4 for me not to.

I'm running a RTX 2060 + Ryzen 2600 so I think it's powerful enough to match Scarlett.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
No unless you're not comfortable with putting your PC out in the lounge TV or don't care to do so.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe; we don't know enough about it yet. But if you're on a high-end PC already and subscribed to Game Pass, I assume Microsoft isn't going to be targeting you with their machine that will likely be less powerful and sold at a loss.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much no reason. Crossplay solves the last problem of playing with your friends, etc.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Xbox is a good media consuming hub tbh, but outside of that not really. I find that a good PC mostly does what an xbox can do outside of convenience(at least for my setup I know that getting my PC to run in the living room would be heeeell lol)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a PC that can even remotely play games that would release for it: No.

1. Gamepass is on PC.
2. Microsoft is releasing their exclusives on PC.
3. Many of the exclusives, if not all, will be on Gamepass.

Only reason is if you need a media entertainment/blu ray player. But at that point why would you ALSO buy an xbox instead of the next gen PS console which doesnt release its titles on PC and now you have even more titles to play.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Nope unless you don't want to move your PC into the living room or prefer couch gaming in a closed system.

I was thinking about this too but I'd just stick with my PC at this point because it'll still be more powerful than Scarlett.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see this sentiment a lot but even with a strong PC, I end up playing on consoles quite a bit. There's a different feeling to consoles for me. When I get home after work I don't want to sit as a desk more, I want to plop on my couch and boot up my console and just play games. Being in that ecosystem feels more social and I find it easier to focus on a console rather than at a PC. At a PC I feel the need to bring up something on my second monitor or browse the web rather than just focusing on a game. A console doesn't have that, that draw of being in that ecosystem is nice. It's also relaxing to not have to worry about anything. Even trying to run PC games on my TV there's a lot I have to do to get it to run well and to switch back and forth from TV to PC as needed. I don't want to deal with that hassle.

The convenience and social ecosystem of a console will always have an appeal to me. Sitting on my couch and grabbing my controller and that being the only barrier to entry has an appeal that a PC can't ever really reach for me.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Simplicity if you sometimes like gaming on your TV. Broaden your Game Pass library. Outside of that, we don't know. Don't know how the performance will compare.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a PC that's at or above the specs, no--the only reasons would be having another box somewhere else in your living space and maybe having another 4K player/streaming media box.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
For you? Literally zero reason, which is great. You can spend that $500 on games instead of a console.

Nov 8, 2017
There could be a point if you want something in your living room or if you find that you don't want to deal with minor annoyances associated with PC gaming, but if the only thing you care about is total exclusives you couldn't get anywhere else, then your PC could cover you for those games in the xbox ecosystem.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
There are some differences between game pass PC/Xbox. Dmcv isn't on PC game pass but console has it. So if you're all in on gamepass for your titles the console might be worth it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PCs do not automatically come with high-end ray-tracing GPUs.

Most people don't even want to buy a desktop. They want a laptop, which will be pretty gimped if you are looking to spend less than $1000.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
You've answered your own question so I don't see the point of this thread. Mods should delete this before it escalates into another console vs PC flame war (mostly by proxy fans of other companies as always).

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the advantage that pretty much any/every console has -- you can trade, borrow, lend, and re-sell games. You can purchase pre-owned games. You can pick up stuff on clearance pricing.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the advantage that pretty much any/every console has -- you can trade, borrow, lend, and re-sell games. You can purchase pre-owned games. You can pick up stuff on clearance pricing.

I dunno, sales and key sites for PC have some pretty aggressive pricing. You can't trade them in, sure, but I think I spend way more for physical console titles than I do for new PC games at this point.

And that will certainly be true when (i) my GCU expires in February, and (ii) GameStop goes belly up.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Uhh maybe the lack of on disc BC and not being able to buy the digital version of those BC games? That's about the only I can think of for having a Scarlet. Otherwise it's going to be PC/Sony/Ninty for me.

Personally, I almost always have some kind of issue with PC games so I tend to stick to Console gaming, so I could see myself maybe getting a Scarlett X at a later date if it's like XB1X and I'm not to bothered to upgrade my PC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XxLeonV

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I see this sentiment a lot but even with a strong PC, I end up playing on consoles quite a bit. There's a different feeling to consoles for me. When I get home after work I don't want to sit as a desk more, I want to plop on my couch and boot up my console and just play games. Being in that ecosystem feels more social and I find it easier to focus on a console rather than at a PC. At a PC I feel the need to bring up something on my second monitor or browse the web rather than just focusing on a game. A console doesn't have that, that draw of being in that ecosystem is nice. It's also relaxing to not have to worry about anything. Even trying to run PC games on my TV there's a lot I have to do to get it to run well and to switch back and forth from TV to PC as needed. I don't want to deal with that hassle.

The convenience and social ecosystem of a console will always have an appeal to me. Sitting on my couch and grabbing my controller and that being the only barrier to entry has an appeal that a PC can't ever really reach for me.

These were a bit of the issues I had with PC before I owned one but I can safely say these are not a problem for me anymore.

I built my PC to exist in the living room, and my Xbox One controller + Controller Companion has really made hopping into games on my PC from the couch a breeze. For if I ever do have issues, I have a couch keyboard with a mouse pad to help me out nearby.

For the Xbox ecosystem, it's basically there on PC. You hit the guide button on your Xbox controller while it's connected and you have access to the same things.

Some PC games do tend to have a few issues with working right away but I don't mind small tinkering. I also have only noticed this issue with older titles....it seems like PC support is getting way better for multi-platform games. As far as my PC being hooked up to my TV....the experience has been nearly flawless (this could be different depending on your TV I assume, I have an LG OLED). I'd say the only thing that's a bit rough is HDR, some games support it via the switch in Windows, some support it just in the game, which is a bit annoying but not a deal-breaker.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
short answer is no. and i hate to say it because i like microsoft's 'initiative'. but, yeah, i can't justify dishing out another ~$500 on a console when PC will more or less deliver

i am entertaining the notion because i don't care for living room PC setups, but ps5 should cover "the rest". so unless i have some serious funny money to burn i don't see what i have to gain from a scarlet + pc combo

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
If you have a good PC.. not really, no.

If you really like the xbox eco system and have two or more tv setups and want that interaction... then I guess?

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
If you have a good PC, definitely don't need an Xbox. Microsoft shares everything with PC anyway. If you like Sony games, that's a different discussion

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As a mostly PC gamer these days with a RTX 2080 Ti I'm somewhat on the fence.

I think for the mass market, Scarlett offers guaranteed "it just works" couch gaming convenience, ease of entry, lower power consumption and a small form factor. Also the benefit of physical media for those with poor internet connections.

My PC is the ultimate couch gaming machine though, which also "just works" but that's because I've spent a hell of lot of time setting it up and tweaking it to be as such. I wouldn't expect the average Joe could be arsed with any of that, and probably won't appreciate the 60fps like I do anyway. The average Joe will probably still just buy a Scarlett to play the next Halo game or whatever.

But for me, I can't go back to an X since building my PC, it's such a gigantic step down in every way like framerates, latency, load times, ultra settings, LoD pop in etc etc. And I'm only keeping the Pro for first party games. But Scarlett might be "good enough" that I might be swayed back to console for the Xbox stuff, it depends whether almost everything is bloody 30fps again.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you already enjoy PC gaming and gave a good system, then no. Better off with a PS5 if you want a next-gen console. That's the route I'm gonna go at least.
I have an Xbox One X with GamePass and I still barely use it compared to my PS4 Pro, Switch and PC. Not gonna waste my money on another Xbox.

OP
OP
XxLeonV

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
There are some differences between game pass PC/Xbox. Dmcv isn't on PC game pass but console has it. So if you're all in on gamepass for your titles the console might be worth it.

Yeah that's not too big of a deal since I can still buy DMCV on PC. I'd be more worried if I was completely locked out of playing a title.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
No not really. You don't even have to connect your PC to your TV if you don't want to, since Steam streaming is a thing

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I also apologized if this topic has already been discussed in another thread. I frequently browse here and haven't happened to see one yet.

This is discussed ad naseum in virtually every Xbox thread.

To answer your question: it depends, but most likely no.

If you either have friends on the Xbox you want to play with or really care about backwards compatibility, then sure. Otherwise, it's probably better just to stick to PC.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
The default answer is no, but there could be variables that may make you get one anyway, such as convenience at times, media capabilities, comfort, etc especially if having it in your living room isn't a practical option

krg

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, they don't really have anything to offer considering you already have an Xbox One X. Their best feature in my opinion is X360 enhanced games, like Ninja Gaiden II, Red Dead Redemption and Gears.

May 25, 2019
London
Don't really see anybody mentioning the main reason - if your friends are primarily on XBox.

Sure, you can take advantage a few cross-play games and Play Anywhere titles on PC, but if your friends want to play Division 2 or Apex with you, then you need to be on the same console.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
NO unless you Don't like Gaming on PC and Prefer to play on Console

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

In a world where everyone is on their smart phone 24/7 saying consoles have less distractions is a pretty weak argument really.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given that MS titles are coming to pc, If you have a solid gaming PC, investing in a PS5 for Sony exclusives (and consoles) access and 4K Blu Ray playback (if at all needed) seems to make more sense imo, unless you already have a library of XBox titles you want to access via bc that is.

OP
OP
XxLeonV

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Don't really see anybody mentioning the main reason - if your friends are primarily on XBox.

Sure, you can take advantage a few cross-play games and Play Anywhere titles on PC, but if your friends want to play Division 2 or Apex with you, then you need to be on the same console.

I am hoping by the time Scarlett comes out that cross-platform makes this a non issue. COD, one of the biggest multiplayer games is doing it, so I don't see any reason why other games won't follow suit.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a 4K HDR gaming experience on PC is going to be pretty expensive as well, whereas the next-generation consoles will probably get you there pretty quick for less than $500.