• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I liked it, but I bought it solely to play Tales of Hearts R on the TV so my wife (a huge Tales fan) could enjoy it too.

Unfortunately have no experience with any attempts at hacking or homebrewing it to talk about that.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
It is pretty good for emulation. PSP games work well, so do vita(even the ones blocked by sony on PS TV), psx, snes, gba and some of the other older consoles. Homebrew makes it worth it, especially if you can get it for cheap. Definitely better than the ps1 mini that they were selling.

Deleted member 48436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Sacrifice Delta is a pretty good reason to buy a Vita TV! Also, the thing is like dirt cheap so you really can't do much wrong here!

[Edit] Didn't realize they have become expensive. Oh well, Soul Sacrifice Delta is still worth it!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Yes, you can hack it. Yes, it will play PSP games. Yes, it is a very good PS1 emulator.

Now if you want to put native Vita stuff on there, that's kinda tricky. The OS updates did more that stabilize their defenses.

Either way, the price skyrocketed awhile back so good luck!

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I wish I bought one when they were super cheap just for P4G. But not at the price they go for now.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Hacking on Vita is pretty great (most of my time is spent in RetroArch), and that carries over to PSTV (minus the obvious portability factor). I haven't touched my PSTV in a while, but I've been messing around with my hacked Vita lately so I'd like to get it set up as a pseudo Switch (but worse since you have to take the memory card out and restart), so I can take my portable gaming to the big screen or use a more comfortable controller.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor that the PS5 might play PSP and (some) Vita games?

Obviously not the Vita games that required the back touch pad, but anything that worked on the Playstation TV could theoretically work if the rumors are true.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
I bought one to play Lumines: Electronic Symphony. Love Lumines, and Electronic Symphony has some amazing music. Wish Q? would bring it over to ps4.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
once you hack it, it's a pretty decent little TV box. If you can get one for a reasonable price I'd say go for it

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine for ÂŁ20, hacked it and it's a translated Fortune Street machine. Good enough for me

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
can you even still find these? i know you could pick them up for like super cheap back in the day at best buy but i'm pretty sure they've been discontinued for years now.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

I'm still stunned Atlas is just sitting on their hands about this. A critically acclaimed JRPG and the best version of it is still trapped on Vita/PSTV. After the warm reception to Persona 5, you'd think they'd try to exploit the momentum and break out their older games on the PS4.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I played all of Persona 3 Portable on mine because I kinda can't be bothered with portable games these days, it worked pretty well. It'll be where I replay Persona 4 Golden eventually too if Atlus continues to refuse to port it elsewhere

Gonna hack it at some point, as well

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly found it useless and only used it for a few hours. If I have access to a TV then I'd rather play console games since they were designed with less limitations in mind than PSP and Vita games. Maybe you're more enthusiastic about the PSP and Vita libraries than I am though. I found both Vita and PSP games to look pretty rough on the TV. My dated laptop also emulates anything better than that thing with the exception of Vita games of course.

If you want to play PSP games on the TV then it does get the job done from my experience.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I really regret not getting one when they were like $50. Definitely not worth spending how much I'm seeing them around for now though.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's nifty for playing PSP (or Vita) games on the TV. Completely worthless unmodded though.

Don't think it's worth the current going rate though. I got mine for like $30 or so during the fire sales.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no because the max output is 720p and many vita games run at sub native resolution so you're going to end up with multiple scales

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yes to your questions. Might be worth noting that PSTVs are coming up in price though; they aren't at the like $25, give-em-away price they were a few years ago.

Also probably worth noting that if you plan on hacking the Vita OS, there's methods to "dock" a regular, ole' Vita too. Given the price of a PSTV these days, it might be better to just get a regular Vita if you have any interest in portability.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Yes to your questions. Might be worth noting that PSTVs are coming up in price though; they aren't at the like $25, give-em-away price they were a few years ago.

Also probably worth noting that if you plan on hacking the Vita OS, there's methods to "dock" a regular, ole' Vita too. Given the price of a PSTV these days, it might be better to just get a regular Vita if you have any interest in portability.
O.O There is? And you can use a DS4? Might need to look into this.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Recently used 0syscall6 to whitelist everything on there.
Have been continuing my Danganronpa playthrough on the TV, which for some reason isnt on the whitelist in the EU version.
Oh and also finished Persona 4 on there.
Just moved my save from the Vita to the TV through PS+.
And now I can also play all my PSP game dumps on there.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can attach a external memory source to it. It's better than the vita for that feature. It's worth it if you're not spending $100+ on it. And yeah p4g on a tv. Not for apps, it's purely an emulation box / psp/PSV box

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
O.O There is? And you can use a DS4? Might need to look into this.

I see it referred to as docking by folks out there which is why I used the term, but it's actually just streaming over USB. I believe you need a PC or a Raspberry Pi 3 to do it.

As you can probably tell I've never done it myself, but I've heard it works pretty well. Not sure how the image quality stacks up to the PSTV, but the PSTV image quality isn't great so probably not a huge worry. If you google something like "vita stream to pc" you should find details.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I bought a PSTV years ago for Soul Sacrifice which I played for about an hour but couldn't get into. I haven't touched it since... It didn't help that Vita games don't look too great on the big screen.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they like craaaaazy expensive used now?

I bought mine for like $30 at best buy and sold iirc a couple years ago for like $150. I thought I saw now they were like over $200.