• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, never heard of this. Will check out.

It's great. It's also incredibly dark, so be prepared for that.

If you like it and want even more of an existential beating, then you can follow it up with this.
9f4badf1-69b3-4c39-9q9jba.jpeg

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Looking at the synopsis now, yep.

You might also like "Pushing Ice" from the same author. And all his Revelation Space books, some of the best sci-fi out there. But Pushing Ice is a bit more near-future.

Regarding TV series I see that For All Mankind had already been mentioned a few times, which I would actually put above The Expanse. I read all the Expanse books and they're "entertaining" but read like they're written for TV and compared to other stuff out there not that strong. But the series are a fun romp for sure.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="Kinthey, post: 72722407, member: 17780"]It's actually Apocalypse Now/Heart of darkness in space
[/QUOTE]
hm I like the sound of this

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
On screen, your best bet is probably The Expanse. There unfortunately isn't a ton of hard sci-fi out there. The Martian actually does a pretty good job with near-Earth space travel if you don't mind something more modest in scope.

Since you mention literature, you'll definitely have more luck there. There's a lot of older work from Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Banks and others that explore "realistic" space exploration (based on the science of the time).

There isn't a huge market for hard sci-fi so naturally, big ideas and tiny budgets end up going to print instead.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively if you just want maximum hard science fiction completely bereft of story, you could, I suppose, just read Atomic Rockets.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was not too optimistic on mainstream tv and movies of this kind. I would love to see a new tv series attempt this with budget and seriousness.

Peru you like arthouse movies? You might get into High Life. Just know it's very psychosexual but ultimately about being a good parent from messy circumstances. Robert Pattison and Juliette Binoche are great.

I do and I should def get to watching that. Sounds good from your description as well.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Peru you like arthouse movies? You might get into High Life. Just know it's very psychosexual but ultimately about being a good parent from messy circumstances. Robert Pattison and Juliette Binoche are great.

I should probably emphasise that this is more a recommendation for if he watches and likes Aniara. It has some themes in common. Both are great if you want something off the beaten path, but they're not really what was asked for in the OP.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
caution OP, Aniara while realistic is also extremely dark. Would not watch if you are having an existential crisis. Don't watch if you are already in a dark place.

Now I'm very interested. I'm always bordering an existential crisis and very nihilistic so I doubt this can put me in a darker place. Looks like it's on Hulu. I'll have to put it off till October as I have other stuff I need to watch first.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Hard sci fi is rare outside of writing because it strips away all the fun stuff people want in their sci fi for a dour brutal reality that is total opposite of glamorous and exciting. Even space battles in hard sci fi are more about math than they are human drama and impressive tactical moves.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Hard sci fi is rare outside of writing because it strips away all the fun stuff people want in their sci fi for a dour brutal reality that is total opposite of glamorous and exciting. Even space battles in hard sci fi are more about math than they are human drama and impressive tactical moves.

To some extent I get it.. On the other hand Interstellar did bigger box office number than anyone expected. If you can find human stories within this framework anything can sell.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
For literature, highest recommendation goes to Mary Robinette Kowal's Lady Astronaut series, starting (chronologicaly and substantially) with The Calculating Stars. The setup: in 1952 a huge metorite obliterates much of the East Coast of the United States. Realizing that the greenhouse effect is going to make Earth uninhabitable in the future, humanity kicks off manned space exploration a decade or so early and a desperate rush begins to inhabit the stars.

These are wonderful novels, starring tremendous, complicated women fighting to be at the forefront of the project. The Calculating Stars won the Triple Crown of science fiction awards - Best Novel for the Hugo, Nebula, and Locus awards - and is absolutely top notch. It's essentially the first half of a duology that continues in The Fated Sky, but could be enjoyed as a stand alone novel - though I don't know why you'd want to stop there! I just finished the third novel in the series, The Relentless Moon, and it was just as good as the first two and is self-contained in a single chunky volume. If you want a realistic look at space exploration and all the challenges - both technical and cultural - to overcome to explore the solar system, here you go.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah Aurora is great. A sort of anti space opera
I wish more sci fi could be modelled on Kim Stanley Robinson's type. I would love a Star Trek that worked in that style. TV/Film sci fi is largely dominated by space opera melodrama though and it doesn't seem there's much room for other stuff, especially in television.

Not really. KSR's stuff has an air of optimism and positivity regarding the potential of humans. He portrays scientists as passionate, interesting people and valorizes what they do. Like Scientists as heroes but not in the action sense.

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't read the latest book by Weir yet, but both The Martian and Artemis are literally using space exploration concepts of today and turning them into central plot points.
All the characters do is based in things that in theory we could already build.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the tips. Oh yeah I need to check out Ad Astra.

The Expanse pretty close to what I'm looking for , although I guess it's a little too much focused on wars and conflicts for me name it as an example in the OP.

2001 is a great example though, and one of my fave movies.

Huh, never heard of this. Will check out.

I agree that The Exapnse isn't really about exploration (with the exception of season 4, which kind of takes a detour just to layout how hard actual space exploration would be), but I also think that kind of gets at how difficult it is to do hard sci fi about exploration. It's hard to keep space exploration interesting without throwing in some fantastical elements where they discover unexplained phenomenon or alien high tech or whatever. An attempt to make a space story purely grounded in currently understood science gets you Expanse stuff about space wars for asteroid mining rights and shit.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I haven't read the latest book by Weir yet, but both The Martian and Artemis are literally using space exploration concepts of today and turning them into central plot points.
All the characters do is based in things that in theory we could already build.
Hail Mary is mostly the same in that regard. It has a bit more speculative stuff wrapped into the plot, but nothing outside of our current understanding of science and physics.

Realistic and Sci-Fi don't mix.
Nonsense. The hard sci-fi category wouldn't exist if they didn't.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish more sci fi could be modelled on Kim Stanley Robinson's type. I would love a Star Trek that worked in that style. TV/Film sci fi is largely dominated by space opera melodrama though and it doesn't seem there's much room for other stuff, especially in television.

Not really. KSR's stuff has an air of optimism and positivity regarding the potential of humans. He portrays scientists as passionate, interesting people and valorizes what they do. Like Scientists as heroes but not in the action sense.
I think sci fi with no action is harder to get adapted to the screen, in the sense that the stories are not necessarily going to be elevated by the visual medium as much as a book that ask you to imagine space battles or a thrilling emergency taking place in space.

But you know, at the end of the day The Forever War is on the same boat as The Mars Trilogy, even if t has war on the title. Both pillars of the genre for decades, but not a single adaptation.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, Ad Astra fits this criteria I think. Watched it in the cinema and felt incredibly tiny and alone after. Also remember thinking how realistic it was compared to other space movies.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The Xeelee books by Stephen Baxter are pretty decent. Vacuum Diagrams is a good place to start as it's a collection of short stories set in the universe.

Funnily the book was one of my inspirations to switch my PhD direction towards computational neuroscience. Later on I met Watts, he's a super nice dude. Talked about the book and neuroscience, and showed him a metal song I wrote about it too. That book was literally life changing for me! And yeah. The way he justifies the spoiler actually was relevant to my PhD thesis, ironically.
Yea Blindsight is one of my favourite scifi books, and it changed me a bit. The sequel Echopraxia is also pretty good, and Watts is working on the third book!

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I think sci fi with no action is harder to get adapted to the screen, in the sense that the stories are not necessarily going to be elevated by the visual medium as much as a book that ask you to imagine space battles.

But you know, at the end of the day The Forever War is on the same boat as The Mars Trilogy, even it it has war on the title. Both pillars of the genre for decades but not a single adaptation.
But stuff like 2001 and Tarkovsky's films are amazing visually. Or Star Trek the motion picture. Violence isn't the only spectacle to behold and I think it's more that audiences have become so acculturated to it that it makes it difficult to expand. I think it's more that tv/film in general have always appealed to conflict and melodrama and it's hard to get out of that zone. The grip almost feels like it's tightening these days, in a sense and we haven't seen much popularized variations on sci-fi in tv/film (more so tv though) and are a little entrenched in conflict/melodrama.

It actually feels almost like an outlier now, but Star Trek TNG being so different in it's minimal interpersonal conflict and melodrama and rarer instances of violence stands out nowadays. Almost feels like it couldn't get made today. Even now people still joke and throw shade at the Roddenberry edict back then regarding conflict. Like instead of trying to work with that idea and maybe expand it, play with it a little more, it's more about 'lol so stupid amirite' or whatever.

Oct 29, 2017
You can sometimes tell when the author is leaning on a particular science discipline as the backbone of their story. People have mentioned neurology and Blindsight for instance.

I'll recommend Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky for zoology.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
For literature, highest recommendation goes to Mary Robinette Kowal's Lady Astronaut series, starting (chronologicaly and substantially) with The Calculating Stars. The setup: in 1952 a huge metorite obliterates much of the East Coast of the United States. Realizing that the greenhouse effect is going to make Earth uninhabitable in the future humanity kicks off manned space exploration a decade or so early and a desperate rush begins to inhabit the stars.

These are wonderful novels, starring tremendous, complicated women fighting to be at the forefront of the project. The Calculating Stars won the Triple Crown of science fiction awards - Best Novel for the Hugo, Nebula, and Locus awards - and is absolutely top notch. It's essentially the first half of a duology that continues in The Fated Sky, but could be enjoyed as a stand alone novel - though I don't know why you'd want to stop there! I just finished the third novel in the series, The Relentless Moon, and it was just as good as the first two and is self-contained in a single chunky volume. If you want a realistic look at space exploration and all the challenges - both technical and cultural - to overcome to explore the solar system, here you go.

Awesome recc!

Sp3ratus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about exploring space as a whole, but rather centered on a single planet, but maybe something like Prospect might interest you? It's hard sci-fi with a very 70s feel about how the future might look like and has Pedro Pascal in one of the leading roles.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed The Martian and Project Hail Mary,both by Andy Weir.

Both books (especially PHM) cover a lot of the physics, math, and chemistry behind its concepts
I really recommend Project Hail Mary. I devoured that book in 3 or 4 sittings. It still has flaws but they aren't that big of a deal. The plot is still reallisric.

CadobaDelta

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
The Martian, Alien, 2001, and Interstellar. The latter three sure have their bogus elements, but they still capture that "realisitic" feel quite well.

Ad Astra sorta fits the bill, but the ridiculousness of some of the scenes kinda breaks that illusion. I haven't seen either, but Moon and Sunshine look like they might fit the part too.

The Expanse looks realistic, but that's it. Just because it's not as far-flung as something like Star Trek or Dune doesn't make it "hard" sci-fi.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson felt felt pretty realistic in terms of how establishing a Martian colony would go.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Interstellar is I guess a movie example that does some of the same.
The same interstellar that had them on a strict timeline and had them decide to dive right towards a black hole's gravity well first thing? The interstellar that was resolved through timetravel? That interstellar?

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I watched Aniara last night and it's definitely worth a watch. Watched it just before bed and it gave me some pretty interesting dreams. It does a good job at capturing the loneliness of space. It's more Solaris than space exploration though.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
2001 is what you are looking for. Even more amazing that it came out a year before the moon landing.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Knights of Sidonia in the Anime front is a pretty intense hard sci fi in S1. Does have a little fanservice and, like the Expanse, it has an antagonistic element that is very much in the fantasy side, but a lot of the best scenes play into the harshness of space.

S2 is a step down and gets way too Haremy, but still had some good moments.

Might be a final S3 at some point...

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
Lots of good choices here. Definitely some I hadn't heard about that I'll be adding to my watchlist.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
To some extent I get it.. On the other hand Interstellar did bigger box office number than anyone expected. If you can find human stories within this framework anything can sell.

I don't really consider Interstellar hard scifi. It takes a lot of liberties especially the ending.

I'm not too familiar with their work but a big feature of hard scifi for fans is it does away with a lot of the easy "outs" so to speak that softer scifi gets away with and leans on to its benefit. You can still have optimism and positivity but the hard scifi deals with the fact that traveling through space is not something humanity was never intended to do and will be a grueling, brutal affair.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember an anime that had somewhat strict time dilation rule and the space battle were like battle ship with high powered lasers if you got hit GG.