• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Stallone - Judge Dredd

The moment he takes his helmet off and starts spouting shitty one liners it all goes massively downhill.
Both Dreed movies make the cardinal sin to strip his character of the original critical undertones and put them as straight "tought but necessary" heroes in otherwise generic action stories of their period.

But hey, at least Urban takes his helmet on.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Changing everything about him really wasn't the problem.

The problems were two major things. 1.) He's not even a ninja or wears the suit till the final scene. And 2.) Snake Eyes is a giant asshole who is selfish and gets tons of people killed. He is no hero at all in this movie, he's literally the bad guy. Storm Shadow does no wrong and gets fucked over because of what Snake Eyes does. It's just amazing how they made a movie about SE and supposed to be the origin of this hero and the entire time I'm going .... "this guy sucks".

What is amazing is that they simply just didn't adapt the original comic book origin. Just change it from the Vietnam war to a modern conflict, and tell the same damn story. Heck they could have kept the talking face character aspect, but why change the entire rest of the story when the original was perfectly fine? Snake Eyes had a face and a voice before he was injured twice in combat, causing him to be disfigured and losing his voice in the 2nd accident.

Each GI Joe movie has made less than the one before.

Retaliation made more at the BO than Rise of Cobra and Retaliation was also made on a much smaller budget as well. Paramount was all set with working on GI Joe 3 but they couldn't lock down The Rock to star in it when they wanted. While waiting for the Rock to be available they kept losing directors and producers setting back production and it just kept going in a cycle of delays till it was canned.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's been years but I personally still can't get over the fact they made a Maleficent movie where she:

1. Doesn't turn into a dragon.
2. Doesn't do anything evil.

Like, those are the two reasons anyone cares about her. I know they were trying to do a Wicked revision kinda thing, but in Wicked the Wicked Witch still has green skin and does some morally dubious things. She's still identifiable.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I saw snake eyes like 2 weeks ago and I barely remember anything about it

All I remember

-the good guy was an asshole who wanted to steal and rip-off his friend and actually gets him banished whilst somehow everyone makes him the good guy
-for some reason there were 2 giant snakes

Terrible movie

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really know anything about GI Joe as a franchise or Snake Eyes as a character. So, I'm curious...would I find any entertainment value in this movie at all? I think I saw one or two trailers and I thought it looked ok, at worst.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can I propose the theatrical end of this film?

p170977_p_v7_ae.jpg

Let's give our main character a heroic sacrifice instead of showing they were the monster all along.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Hello, I know nothing about GI Joe, but I know a bit about perspective.

And I have questions :
- why is his sword magic ?
- why is his fist so big ?

His arm bending clearly forward, his fist being IN front of his head, the blade should be BEFORE his head, not behind.
Or the perspective is fucked, the artist skippe anatomy and perspective classes and he got a GIANT fist larger than his head, a weird elbow joint bending backward and his hand is indeed behind his head. Dont get me start on the angle of that blade. Damn that's not a good shot. I hope it's not a cover art or promo art or anything

edit : oh shit its a cover and it gets way worse...

af8bcde769a102da359a235eeb15d7b7.jpg

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I went to the fan premiere of this, and they gave out some of the nicest posters I've ever seen at a movie event. Super thick stiff tagboard, glossy finish, embossed title and emblem background, just a really quality item. After the movie ended at least 60-70% of them were just left on the floor or in seats. I guess nobody felt like remembering what they'd been through that night.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know anything about GI Joe as a franchise or Snake Eyes as a character. So, I'm curious...would I find any entertainment value in this movie at all? I think I saw one or two trailers and I thought it looked ok, at worst.

Even when viewed in a vacuum, the film is shit. Incomprehensible plot, bland characters, and above all, terrible shaky-cam fight scenes. There's nothing here if you're not a Snake Eyes/GI Joe fan, and if you are you hate this film even more, hence why it bombed as hard as it did.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't watching no GI Joe movie that doesn't have wacky code names and wackier vehicles

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out this habit of putting faces on formerly faceless characters. Boba Fett, master chief, and snake eyes come to mind.

Like, is it that they don't think audiences will relate? Is it the actor that wants face time? Some requirement to humanize the character (even though them being faceless is one of the reasons for their popularity)
Particularly given they have had no trouble characterizing and humanizing the Mandalorian in his show without showing his face outside of two brief instances that were story relevant, in a show that's airing right now, to great success. This is with a bigger name actor than several of those examples you gave no less.

Axelstream

Oct 27, 2017
I've got no personal connection with GI Joe but I'm curious how people liked Henry Golding and Andrew Koji? I've only seen them in Crazy Rich Asians and Warrior respectively, but I liked them in both in those projects.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
They missed the entire point to everything in the book.

I, Robot deserves honorary mention because the book is a collection of short stories and doesn't have a single protagonist
In the case of I, Robot, it was an unrelated film script about rebellious robots called Hardwired. Somewhere in there they found they could get the rights to the Asimov book and put the name on the film. They added in his laws of robotics and that's about it.

Something similar happened with Starship Troopers where it was an unrelated Aliens-esque script with the working title Bug Hunt, which someone noticed similarities to the Starship Troopers novel, and they obtained the rights. Verhoeven read said novel and despised it so much that he made a film to satirize the aspects he hated. That however is a case of the director understanding the "point" of the book but simply disagreeing with it so much that he deliberately attacked it with the adaptation.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Can I propose the theatrical end of this film?

p170977_p_v7_ae.jpg

Let's give our main character a heroic sacrifice instead of showing they were the monster all along.

To be fair the alternate ending exists and was the originalal intended ending. It was forced to be changed because of focus test groups.

Not really the same as the book but closer.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What about giant magical snakes that don't eat you if you have a pure heart, or a giant magic sun diamond that if you hold it, you can cause people to spontaneously combust?
I allow it.

I just feel bad for the guys who names have not aged well. "Hi-Fi", "Dial Tone", etc

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Hello, I know nothing about GI Joe, but I know a bit about perspective.

And I have questions :
- why is his sword magic ?
- why is his fist so big ?

His arm bending clearly forward, his fist being IN front of his head, the blade should be BEFORE his head, not behind.
Or the perspective is fucked, the artist skippe anatomy and perspective classes and he got a GIANT fist larger than his head, a weird elbow joint bending backward and his hand is indeed behind his head. Dont get me start on the angle of that blade. Damn that's not a good shot. I hope it's not a cover art or promo art or anything

edit : oh shit its a cover and it gets way worse...

af8bcde769a102da359a235eeb15d7b7.jpg

Thank you for doing this for me cause gawdamn. Scrolling down just shows more and more problems as you go. So much is wrong - not to mention homeboy looks like stiffest stick up the tighest ass i've ever seen.

Godawful lol

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Now that Hasbro has full ownsrship of Power Rangers, they should make a G.I Joe tokusatsu. That's the only way to renew something as goofy as this franchise.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The movie is bad. It stretches out what should be the first act of a comic book origin movie to be the first two acts, leaving the last 3rd to feel like complete random junk. Nevermind the shaky cam, the action feels inconsistent slipping between highly choreographed to messy or from violent to goofy. Iko Uwais does a better American accent than Henry Golding and Samara Weaving combined in this full credit to him.
Point is would covering up the lead actor's face and voice really improve this

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Kids don't like ninjas anymore. If you say "ninja" they think of the fortnite player.

Oct 25, 2017
Baggage has little to do with it.

GI Joe means less and less to everyone under the age of 35 with each passing day.
Eh, GI Joe done well could be moderately successful regardless of its former position in pop culture.
The ninja thing despite my dislike was probably the easiest direction to go to get worldwide general audience and they failed.

Honestly the big missed opportunity was not having the recurring soldiers in Transformers just be GI Joe,
latest

would be perfectly acceptable just as Duke.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Movie sucked but I am glad they made Snake Eyes Asian. Him being white never made any sense to me, even as a kid.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, GI Joe done well could be moderately successful regardless of its former position in pop culture.
The ninja thing despite my dislike was probably the easiest direction to go to get worldwide general audience and they failed.

Honestly the big missed opportunity was not having the recurring soldiers in Transformers just be GI Joe,
latest

would be perfectly acceptable just as Duke.

You have to remember that in 2007, pre-MCU, cinematic universes just wasn't a thing that crossed the minds of the average studio exec.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Each GI Joe movie has made less than the one before.

Each new movie retcon/reboots the previous one.

And yet somehow they keeps making these films. I argued in another thread that it might be impossible nowadays to make a GI Joe that appeals to many people, since the jingoism usually displayed is just off-putting for a large chunk of the US and the world at large nowadays...
So we should make a Cobra Commander movie!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the alternate ending exists and was the originalal intended ending. It was forced to be changed because of focus test groups.

Not really the same as the book but closer.

While not the same as the book, it is clearly the ending the rest of the film was building to. The tacked on one is total contradictory nonsense that comes out of nowhere.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't read them, but apparently in the IDW GI Joe comics, all of GI Joe and Cobra's technology comes from Cybertronian technology that has been scavenged after Autobot and Decepticon battles.

That was in one of the Transformers / GI Joe mini series, but it was a one and done mini series.

Later on they did a combined Hasbroverse where they all kind of became part of the same canon and in it a spin off of GI Joe was created using tech and knowledge learned from cybertronians. That becomes MASK

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the second GI Joe movie opening with killing all the characters from the first movie in the very first scene. I appreciated the level of commitment to right their wrongs, but then the 2nd was somehow worse than the first lol.

My entry is the Halo show btw

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Larry Hama made him white to show that anyone could excel at anything regardless of background.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I think Larry Hama made him white to show that anyone could excel at anything regardless of background.

Larry has said that he really put no thought into the ethnicity of Snake Eyes at all when he made him. There was no real motive or such behind it. Snake Eyes also was originally just a silent commando when he was created. The idea to turn him into a ninja didn't happen till almost 2 years later after GI Joe started. Suddenly Snake Eyes got a sword and then they created an origin, before that he just was the guy in all black with an Uzi.

He has said though before that he was a bit upset that the only Asian in GI Joe in the early days was the bad guy (Storm Shadow).

Larry never put much thought into his writing, he's said it many times that he basically makes up everything on the spot as he goes, he doesn't really plan things out so Snake Eyes was never a ninja, he was just a GI who lost his face and voice in Nam. When he decided to tell an origin story to the character he decided to connect him to Storm Shadow and developed the whole ninja background stuff later.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I kind of love hearing people shit talk a bad movie I didn't even know existed.

I have never seen it and have heard it is actually fun. But for years I was totally baffled by the number of people online who say that The Count of Monte Cristo is an example of a revenge plot without the "revenge is bad moral" only to realize that it is because 2002 movie completely butchered the story and made the Count into a hero who gets a happy ending. Afterwards I realized there are a comical number of people online who are clearly pretending to have read the book and are just working off the movie.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty movie. It started off pretty fun though with the storm Shadow/Snake eyes dynamic for the Yakuza.

And the storm shadow actor, Andrew Koji, stole the show. Wish I saw him in more shit outside of Warrior

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Sucker Punch ----- Snyder told everyone it's actually a critique of how women are portrayed in movies and then dedicated the movie to his mother.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I was a longtime GiJoe fan and i have to give the second movie some credit. It is not a good movie at all. BUT I cannot ignore how much better it was than that dumpster fire of a first movie.

Since I refused to see Snake Eyes (I never really got past the first G.I. Joe movie):

Disney's Maleficent.

The self proclaimed Mistress of Evil, one of Disney's best (and unapologetically petty) villains gets turned into 'the real hero all along, guys!' and at the literal expense of just about every other main character in the story who isn't Princess Aurora.