• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Take a deep breath, everyone. Ace Attorney isn't exactly known for its frequent release schedule.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope an AA456 collection happens, I've yet to play AA5 and 6 because I absolutely refuse to buy anything digitally on 3DS.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Take a deep breath, everyone. Ace Attorney isn't exactly known for its frequent release schedule.

It... actually is in Japan.

The largest gap between totally new games was about 3 years between AA3 and AA4, and that had the AA1 DS port with Rise from the Ashes added in-between. Otherwise it's been 1-2 years between new releases its whole history. (There was even the weird time when PLvsPW launched like eight months ahead of AA5.)

Last edited:

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly just surprised they haven't done 456 ports to everything as a follow up to the trilogy yet. Thought we'd've seen that by now at least...

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I'm mostly just surprised they haven't done 456 ports to everything as a follow up to the trilogy yet. Thought we'd've seen that by now at least...

Tbh I don't think even Capcom cares about Apollo.

Like they gave that dude his own game and then shafted him for 5 and 6 and made Phoenix the star again, lol.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I don't think even Capcom cares about Apollo.

Like they gave that dude his own game and then shafted him for 5 and 6 and made Phoenix the star again, lol.

For five, sure. I don't really think you can say that Apollo wasn't the main focus in 6 despite the marketing. You spend quite a bit longer as Apollo, including case 5 for the game which is effectively two cases, and also includes
Apollo defeating phoenix in court

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
For five, sure. I don't really think you can say that Apollo wasn't the main focus in 6 despite the marketing. You spend quite a bit longer as Apollo, including case 5 for the game which is effectively two cases, and also includes
I never finished 6, I beat the second case and put it down. I'll go back to it someday.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Yeah, if AA4 was a secret Phoenix game, then AA6 was arguably a secret Apollo game. If there's anyone who gets aggressively sidelined, it's Athena. Especially getting literally chased off the screen multiple times throughout the DLC case.

What was the overall consensus on the SoJ DLC case by the way? It really went hard and heavy on trying to evoke nostalgia and that put me off it but I suppose a sizeable part of the fanbase were pleased about a return to the 1-3 status quo.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if AA4 was a secret Phoenix game, then AA6 was arguably a secret Apollo game. If there's anyone who gets aggressively sidelined, it's Athena. Especially getting literally chased off the screen multiple times throughout the DLC case.

What was the overall consensus on the SoJ DLC case by the way? It really went hard and heavy on trying to evoke nostalgia and that put me off it but I suppose a sizeable part of the fanbase were pleased about a return to the 1-3 status quo.
With SoJ I feel like fans wanted at least one classic case with Maya, which the plot of that game kinda prevented, so I felt the DLC was fine.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Idk, I ended up like Apollo more than Phoenix haha

But anyway, I think AAI2 and DGS2 not being localized is a tragedy. Those games are some of my favorites in the series and of all time. I didn't like the prequels that much, but it didn't even matter. Totally worth playing through.

Still, DGS2 felt very "anime-y" in terms of plot compared to the original trilogy in my opinion. AA has definitely evolved into a different beast over time

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
The problem is the marketing, Capcom refuses to let go of Phoenix as the lead in that regard. Apollo getting the biggest spotlight in AA6 was practically a twist.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the future for the series is multiplatform, across all the systems, and that they need to bring the older games to these platforms in order to allow audiences time to catchup.

This is a little different from any circumstances the series has been in before, as they have just expanded the original trilogy to new audiences on three new platforms within the last 12 months. I feel like they will want to port the DS/3DS-era games over now which buys the team making the new entry time to get to grips with multiplatform development and develop something that really takes the series forward.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get an Ace Attorney 7 at some point but I'd have to imagine that they're just not sure what do to for it. I don't think they'll do any kind of full reboot but they really need to scale back the stakes for the next game, dial it back to AA1 & 2 levels. I'd love it to be an Apollo in Khura'in game, have Ema as the detective and Rayfa as his sidekick. Throw in a Trucy visits Apollo but gets accused of murder case and you're good to go.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I just wanna see a couple other characters from the original trilogy again, like Franziska and Gumshoe

a proper 100% apollo game would be neat too, love Perceive

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always enjoyed AA vilains and their transformations on the bench. Hope the series won't end, while being curious about Shu Takumi working on something else.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Just make a main series Ema game and the series will be back to the greatness it once was.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just make a main series Ema game and the series will be back to the greatness it once was.
This right here. Ema rules. I was cool with Phoenix's treatment in AJ, but was not happy with how Ema got shafted there, they at least redeemed themselves in 5/6 with her. Her and Trucy are the only active cast members I'd like to see return. I have zero interest in more Phoenix, Apollo or Athena in any substantial way.

That said I am still partial to my fantastic idea of having the next game star Dick Gumshoe and Maggey Byrde's hypothetical daughter becoming an attorney and if they're really bold investigating the murder of Phoenix Wright and defending his apparent killer as her first case. Tragedy and loss is a part of this series damn it. I would be willing to accept it if they pulled a fake out and instead had Furio Tigre get killed and with Phoenix out of the country people just assumed it was him if handled well. But I'd still like for Phoenix to be mostly MIA and act as a sort of act like Charlie from Charlie's Angels, just acting as a dude over the phone as he jet sets all around the world as some international legal hotshot.

Focusing solely on Gumshoe's kid could be different enough to feel new and welcoming, while still connected with the past to not feel like it's completely abandoning and throwing aside what came before.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's over, and Shu Takumi is working on a brand new game.

Dai Gyuakuten seemed like an interesting continuation but limited by what the series offer, and the rest... nope, even the new characters felt uninspired.

I wouldn't even want a new Ghost Trick; ports would be nice so more people can enjoy the game though.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always wondered why the first trilogy didn't came out sooner on other consoles, was it because it was part of a deal with Nintendo?? Is the second trilogy still part of a deal with Nintendo?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This right here. Ema rules. I was cool with Phoenix's treatment in AJ, but was not happy with how Ema got shafted there, they at least redeemed themselves in 5/6 with her.

I'm going to be honest, I never found Rise from the Ashes Ema to be a remotely compelling character. At least in AJ she wasn't just "peppy teen girl sidekick w/ gimmick".

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to be honest, I never found Rise from the Ashes Ema to be a remotely compelling character. At least in AJ she wasn't just "peppy teen girl sidekick w/ gimmick".
Yeah I thought she was meant to be a blatant reminder of Maya to get Phoenix on the case rather than be a fully fledged character. That justified the peppy girl sidekick w/ gimmick aspect in Ashes for me. But then she stuck around.

At least her gimmick is a nice change of pace for gameplay.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I took more issue with how they handled her situation and not how she acted in AJ. But I enjoyed her passion for science in RftA.

I'm admittedly quite defensive of her portrayal in AJ. The whole concept of a character who is struggling to come to terms with not being able to live up to her childhood ambitions and her resentment towards a side-career she's effectively forced herself into to try and pursue that dream unofficially really struck a chord with me. Even throughout RftA she would frequently get things about science wrong, suggesting that she was always slightly more enthusiastic than competent.

I get that people weren't thrilled about the direction her story took, but I legitimately empathised with AJ Ema more than any other character in the series.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm admittedly quite defensive of her portrayal in AJ. The whole concept of a character who is struggling to come to terms with not being able to live up to her childhood ambitions and her resentment towards a side-career she's effectively forced herself into to try and pursue that dream unofficially really struck a chord with me. Even throughout RftA she would frequently get things about science wrong, suggesting that she was always slightly more enthusiastic than competent.

I get that people weren't thrilled about the direction her story took, but I legitimately empathised with AJ Ema more than any other character in the series.
I like the premise and general idea behind it all, just not the execution. I don't recall her getting science stuff wrong in AJ, though it's been a long time, just things like calling George Washington the first King of America, which pointed more to her hyper focus on the sciences and general lack of common sense and knowledge elsewhere. She felt no more quirky or deficient than any other character in the series, especially compared to the ludicrously high number of prodigies who often have their own baffling quirks and shortcomings.

I appreciated and empathized with the idea of her life not turning out how she planned and failing to get the job she wanted, but it felt out of place and shitty for the reason behind that being her outright failing her qualifications for it and not something else. It was tough seeing such a cheery character become such a miserable mope, but had the circumstances around it all been different I wouldn't have been bothered by it. But the way things were it just felt like needless sandbagging of a character cause they needed her to be depressed and a failure.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think Takumi wanted to make a duology from the very beginning... And people in Japan supposedly didn't like that as the first game ends on a cliffhanger or something.

Cliffhanger doesn't feel like a strong enough word. It sets up a ton of overarching plot threads across the game and ends having tied up one of them (the resolution of which sets up 2 or 3 further questions).

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it but it definitely feels the least "standalone" of any AA game.

Oct 31, 2017
Is anyone else OK with the series just being over (at least for a few more years)? AA4-6 and the two AAI games were big disappointments compared to the original trilogy. Not saying they were 0/10 games or anything but it's clear that the series has been treading water for a long time.

Nope, it's been long enough since AA6's release.

And both AA6 and AAI2 are amazing games by the way ! :P

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The franchise is dead, if it cant be a made a ps/xbox triple a game, capcom dont care

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Capcom has invested quite a bit into Ace Attorney the past few years. Would they have bothered making an anime series if they had no plans for the franchise going forward?

Oct 7, 2019
With yet another half a year of no AA news I really start to worry about the series' preservation. We have the original Trilogy on all devices but nothing beyond that. If my 3DS finally dies, I will be left without all ability to play most other entries in the series (I guess 4-6 and Investigations 1 are on iOS?).

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I swore to god there was a rumor saying a AA 4-6 trio was coming out alongside the 1-3. I don't get why it hasn't surfaced yet, it's been eons when these games used to never stop coming out. It'd be one thing if Capcom just didn't want to milk it to death, but it would be really nice to have 4-6 available on all other storefronts to catch everyone up. :(

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom don't give a fuck anymore. They could've just localized and port the 2 prequel spinoff games as a cost saving measure, but nope.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I just finished replaying Trials and Tribulations. The last case is so memorable.

Capcom must definitely port 4, 5 and 6 on modern hardware at least. It's pretty clear they don't have any intention to keep the franchise going but at least they should port what's been left.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually less likely now then when the thread was originally bumped, as Takeshi Yamazaki has left Capcom. He was in charge of all the games in the series that Takumi wasn't (AAI, AAI2. AA5, AA6).