• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I wonder if people saying "MGS" somehow forced themselves to forget that MGS4 and TPP exist. 🤔

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter?

Virtua Fighter 3 is the black sheep. VF4 is basically a second sequel to VF2 instead.

The same is pretty much true for Street Fighter 3, where Street Fighter 4 is basically another Street Fighter 2 sequel to recapture its glory.

Both SFIII and recently VF3 would go on to be more appreciated for their unique qualities, but both were definitely looked at as misteps throughout their life.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yakuza is the best answer here

I feel like I see people whine about V more often than 4, even though V is a much better game; I wasn't using forums like this when 4 released so maybe people were really negative.

you're both right, 4 is a huge drop in terms of story, boss fights, and so much more than the peak of 3 had. 5 was of course better, but way more controversial - oddly for changes the series took since peace walker, while the fact that it's clearly unfinished (but still better than 4, again) doesn't seem to bother folks as much?

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people saying "MGS" somehow forced themselves to forget that MGS4 and TPP exist. 🤔

Both excellent, heavily acclaimed games. Yeah, we have not forgotten about them. MGS4 is considered to be one of the best and most iconic games of its generation and voted GOTY 3 times by this community. And it's one of the most requested Remasters.

Complaints by loud minorities are not considered here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tropico

or The Room series.

The Room
The Room Two
The Room Three
The Room: Old Sins
The Room VR: A Dark Matter

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Is that a common opinion? I guess I assumed that DQ7 was about as well liked as any other entry in the series. That is to say, some people really like it (I include myself in that number); some people like it less well; and a few put it toward or at the bottom of the pile. I never got much of a black sheep vibe in discussions about it here or at the old place. Of course I'm totally ignorant about how Japan talks about DQ7, but it was a record seller at the time.

ozzyh26

Oct 28, 2017
Ascension 100% and not just because the formula had grown stale. They actively made regressive changes to the combat system that made it the worst in the whole series which was such a disappointment at the time given 2 and 3 basically perfected it. Instead of building and expanding on what they had they made it harder to do what was already there before. Favorite series of all time but will never replay it again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I could've sworn that the consensus was Unwound Future was considered the peak of the series, I guess that changed? I know it made me cry as an adult which is a miserable admission.

Unwound Future also made me sob so we're in that together.

It's insane a game with that utterly ridiculous a twist and overall plot line could still still pull off that emotional gut punch.

I don't recall people calling it the peak? The series is weird because the QOL, content, and puzzles often felt like they were improving with each entry while the actual plot tended to get more absurd and hard to take seriously, so it kinda evened out.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
not connected but you can say soulsborne. Demon souls, Ds1,2,3 and bloodborne are all top quality stuff. Everyone has their favorites but all these games including their DLCs are top quality stuff

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a common opinion? I guess I assumed that DQ7 was about as well liked as any other entry in the series. That is to say, some people really like it (I include myself in that number); some people like it less well; and a few put it toward or at the bottom of the pile. I never got much of a black sheep vibe in discussions about it here or at the old place. Of course I'm totally ignorant about how Japan talks about DQ7, but it was a record seller at the time.

im pretty sure japan loves dq7. I think the 3ds remake pretty much fixed everything that was wrong with the original tho

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

I always thought the general consensus was that it was too long for its own good. It's a really long game that feels that way too. Releasing so late didn't help its reception either, it looked very ugly even compared to most later PS1 RPGs, plus it came out just a couple of months before FFX in NA.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to hear some die-hard Breath of Fire fans chime in.

I've only played III, IV, and Dragon Quarter, and all three are pretty solid. Dragon Quarter sticks out as the obvious candidate for being the black sheep, but I thought it was well received, despite being a huge departure. How are BoF I and II generally ranked?

And for the sake of argument, let's just ignore this travesty:

Breath_of_Fire_6.png

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding DQ7, I think DQ6 is actually the more polarizing game in general from my observations. DQ7 is difficult to get into and I don't recommend it as one's first DQ game but it is still a strong title when you can overlook the pacing -- I usually don't see too much hate for it.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Megaman Battle Network. Some games are better than others, but none of the mainline games really sucked.

Oct 25, 2017
You have quite a few people who dislike DKC3, but mostly because it had no chance in being a proper follow-up to DKC2.

Also, back then it was suddenly REALLY HARD to care about a 2D platformers back when Mario 64 came out that same year and was one of the most mind blowing games of the entire decade. Even if the game was really good (haven't played it much myself), it couldn't be more poorly timed.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
So think Ace Attorney is regarded as somewhat consistent, even though I think most (myself included) prefer the original Trilogy.

Apollo Justice is definitely the black sheep, no thanks to hobo Phoenix, the Apollo-Trucy siblings plot and the Perry Mason jury system. It's the definition a game that changes everything and introduces a crapload of new stuff, but barely elaborates on any of it, leading to a game that's not even bad, but confusing and out there.

Nowadays, it feels like a strange intermission between the old trilogy and modern AA. It doesn't really fit either in terms of design.

You also have a few people that shit on Justice For All and Dual Destinies, but they don't really go off the rails the same way AJ does and are otherwise consistent in terms of tone and gameplay to their "relatives".

Last edited:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I think if the first 10 final fantasy games were their own series it would apply.

8 was absolutely seen as a black sheep. That game had EXTREMELY loud detractors for years and years and years.

And if we only count what the US got for its first 5 FF games of FF1, FF Mystic Quest, FF4, FF6 and FF7, Mystic Quest is the clear black sheep there too.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Megaman Battle Network. Some games are better than others, but none of the mainline games really sucked.
I mean everyone agrees that 4 is the worst as it really sucked to finish it three times to get everything, like you needed to do that in order to get the upgraded versions of the enemy chips (which you could easily do in a single playthrough in the previous games) and to fully unlock the main feature (Soul Unison)

Last edited:

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Apollo Justice is definitely the black sheep, no thanks to hobo Phoenix, the non-explored Apollo-Trucy siblings plot and the weirdly implemented Perry Mason system, with the juries that amount to nothing.

Nowadays, it feels like a strange intermission between the old trilogy and modern AA. It doesn't really fit either in terms of design.

You also have a few people that shit on Justice For All and Dual Destinies, but they don't really go off the rails the same way AJ does.
I think Apollo Justice is better than the new ones, despite it having the issues you mentioned above. It's been a while since I've played DD, but it definitely had some weird plot contrivances too. I think the thing that y killed it most was how much they nerfed the investigation phases to the point that they just gave you a checklist of things to do, completely taking away the sensation of actually investigating.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
not connected but you can say soulsborne. Demon souls, Ds1,2,3 and bloodborne are all top quality stuff. Everyone has their favorites but all these games including their DLCs are top quality stuff

I think Dark Souls II would definitely be considered the black sheep in that list. Still a good game in its own right, though.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone pretending Yakuza dead souls doesn't exists?

I agree with GoW ascension is fine. Uncharted and infamous too if you count thr spinoffs.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Virtua Fighter has got 5 main entries (more if you count revisions and spin-offs) and each one of them was top notch when it came out. The more experimental one was VF3, it introduced a dodge button and sloped terrains, but it was cutting edge when it came out in 1996.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to hear some die-hard Breath of Fire fans chime in.

I've only played III, IV, and Dragon Quarter, and all three are pretty solid. Dragon Quarter sticks out as the obvious candidate for being the black sheep, but I thought it was well received, despite being a huge departure. How are BoF I and II generally ranked?

And for the sake of argument, let's just ignore this travesty:

Breath_of_Fire_6.png

The general opinion seems to be that BoF1 is mediocre, BoF2 is pretty good but had some localization problems, BoF3 & 4 are both great, and people either love BoF:DQ and think it's one of the best games of all-time or hate it with not many opinions in between.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
You also have a few people that shit on Justice For All and Dual Destinies, but they don't really go off the rails the same way AJ does and are otherwise consistent in terms of tone and gameplay to their "relatives".

It's been at least a decade since I played it but I remember being absolutely infuriated with a case that involved clowns / the circus lol, there was a plot twist that involved a massive leap of logic so severe that I almost quite the franchise altogether. Thankfully I didn't because the closing case of Justice for All is one of my favourites in the series!

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
You have quite a few people who dislike DKC3, but mostly because it had no chance in being a proper follow-up to DKC2.
As someone with no nostalgia for any of them, played the trilogy for the first time at the end of last year and I found 3 to be much better than 2 to be honest

astro

Oct 25, 2017
MGS 2 is considered a black sheep. It was very much polarizing.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Since the incident on Shadow Moses Island, Metal Gear's top-secret technology has been leaked into the black market through the machinations of Revolver Ocelot. As a result, countless variations of Metal Gears have sprung up in every corner of the globe, making the weapon an increasingly common...

It has 8.8 userscore which I don't think would have happened if it were a black sheep.

I also looked for polls and MGS2 tops many of them.

I think it could be polarising within certain enthusiast communities, but I don't think it can be defined as one overall.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Golden abyss maybe?

Ascension

IV apocalypse is controversial isn't it?
That or I would say if... is basically the precursor to the Persona series rather than what SMT 1 and 2 were. This isn't a bad thing, just different.

Strange Journey was also pretty different with it's setting not even being Tokyo.

And then there's NINE.... We don't talk about NINE.

"Black Sheep" doesn't necessarily mean "bad" either. Every mainline SMT, including Apocalypse, are good games, but some are just wildly different. Mario 2/USA is a "black sheep", but people generally think of it as a good game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking through user feedback, the Metal Gear Solid series does not have a black sheep game at all.

Some enthusiast spaces such as Era will make it seem like some of the titles are more polarising than they are, but 1-5 are, overall, highly regarded games.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I definitely agree with Street Fighter. Look how different each entry is as well, which makes it easily the best candidate for this thread. SF2 to 3 was a massive leap. Then 4 was completely different and 5 was arguably less different but still definitely and clearly its own thing. Even the Alpha series each have their own vibe going on. It's like Final Fantasy in how they're always switching it up but way more consistent. But thats a little unfair on FF cause there's more entries.
Are you forgetting that there is a certain game called Street Fighter 1 that is TRASH TIER level.
SF1 is not only a black sheep, it is an abomination.