• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
Yakuza: Dead Souls has always been considered a spin-off though no? It's non-canon, I wouldn't consider it fair to call it a black sheep entry when it isn't considered mainline. I find 3 the weakest of the mainline but it's no black sheep, lots of people love it and it's still a great game.

Remember when, after Dead Souls flopped, Sega thought that the western popularity of the frachise was dead, and it took many years and a sony intervention to get them to release Yakuza 5 (in a digital format only)

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Surprisingly enough, if you keep things to only the mainline games in the Classic series I think Mega Man qualifies here. There are the popular favorites (2, 3, 9) and some commonly-cited lower points in the series (1, 5, 8), but none are so widely disliked that I'd consider any of them "black sheep."

This utterly falls apart the second you introduce any other Mega Man series with five or more games in it, though, and also doesn't hold up if you open things up to non-mainline Classic games (Rockman World 2/Mega Man II for Game Boy and the Game Gear version of Mega Man, for example, are definitely black sheep).

Also, Mega Man 5 is amazing and definitely not a low point of the series, but that's a discussion for a different thread. :P

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
To my knowledge, there isn't a mainline Ratchet & Clank game that people point to as "the bad one". I guess I've seen hate for the movie tie in, but even then that seems to be a minority opinion based on the elements borrowed from the movie

The internet might tell me I'm wrong, but I think all five Donkey Kong Country games are well-regarded.

I usually see either DKC3 talked about as "the bad one" by a lot of people, or depending on who you talk to, DK64

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People don't like/forget about Super Circuit :(

On that though, all the Punch Out!! games (2 Arcade, 3 Console) are pretty consistent in quality, with none really sticking out as "the BAD one."
I think people collectively think of the arcade games together since they're the same mechanically, just with different fighters. Super Punch Out is probably the odd man out though, since while it is more similar to the arcade games, it kind of has an off feel since it's compared to the more popular NES Punch Out and is mostly ignored by all future media aside from a few fighters in the Wii game.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
It was absolutely well-regarded at the time and a big part of making Mario Kart a marquee IP. It laid the groundwork for DS and Wii to kick the series into the stratosphere and is basically the classic Mario Kart people remember from before those games.

It sold over a million more units than Super Mario Kart to an audience only ~60% as large. Given the N64's popularity as a 4-player machine, I think it's also likely far more people who didn't own either game at least experienced 64. "Black sheep" can only be applied in retrospect because it hasn't aged as well and I don't think that's fair.
Yes that's what I thought. I agree it's not fair calling it a black sheep for aging badly.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I was mixed with MGS4, but I've been mixed about the whole series. Loved MGS1, was disappointed by MGS2, loved MGS3, and enjoyed MGS4 for about 70% of it and then felt like it was a slog, but still recognized it as a great game (and still do, I'm just mixed on it). For the mainline games I don't think there's a true black sheep in that series.

I think this is actually a really common sentiment.

I think a lot of people agree with either "The odd numbered entries are great" or "the even numbered entries are the best".

(i personally think MGS1,3, and 5 are amazing and 2 and 4 are not good).

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It was absolutely well-regarded at the time and a big part of making Mario Kart a marquee IP. It laid the groundwork for DS and Wii to kick the series into the stratosphere and is basically the classic Mario Kart people remember from before those games.

It sold over a million more units than Super Mario Kart to an audience only ~60% as large. Given the N64's popularity as a 4-player machine, I think it's also likely far more people who didn't own either game at least experienced 64. "Black sheep" can only be applied in retrospect because it hasn't aged as well and I don't think that's fair.

MK64 is also loads better than Double Dash, so that helps too.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
Probably Ace Attorney, even counting the Miles spinoffs and the Dai Gyakuten ones
the most divisive one seems to be Dual Destinies, but i mostly see fond memories of it

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 64 still has the best battle mode in the series. The losers turning into bomb cars is genius and needs to come back.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
My first thought when reading the thread title was Yakuza, but then I remembered Dead Souls. If you're just counting main entries then I think it's still valid though. GTA too? there's favourites but I don't think there's a black sheep.

I'm confident Forza Horizon will join the club when the next entry hits, as will Streets of Rage if the same people who did 4 so a fifth entry.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
My first thought when reading the thread title was Yakuza, but then I remembered Dead Souls. If you're just counting main entries then I think it's still valid though. GTA too? there's favourites but I don't think there's a black sheep.

I'm confident Forza Horizon will join the club when the next entry hits, as will Streets of Rage if the same people who did 4 so a fifth entry.
I think Dead Souls is a spinoff so Yakuza is a good choice. I'd say GTA too but I can't help but feel IV gets shitted on the most.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
You could even go as far as to say that 64 helped shape Mario Kart's modern identity, and I think that kinda disqualifies it from being a black sheep by default. The games today are more about what 64 started than Super.

No.
Agreed. It's importance to Mario Kart and even Kart Racers in general can't be overstated.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Mega Man Classic seems like a good pick. Some entries are more popular than others but I've never been aware of a true black sheep in the line-up.

Professor Layton 'might' qualify too. Games 2-6 are all various degrees of 'not as good as Curious Village' but I don't recall any of them being singled out.

The black sheep of mainline Pokemon alters constantly as people who grew up with each entry get older. I'd say it's Ruby/Sapphire because there's too much water but nowadays that'll get me flayed alive. So it's debatable if there really is a black sheep at all.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is actually a really common sentiment.

I think a lot of people agree with either "The odd numbered entries are great" or "the even numbered entries are the best".

(i personally think MGS1,3, and 5 are amazing and 2 and 4 are not good).

yeah that's how I am. I'm not super obsessed with the franchise, but LOVED MGS1, like one of my favorite games of all time. It helps that it was also one of the first games that felt "adult" for me when I was a teenager playing it. I remember my dad half-paying attention in the other room and walking in to watch the cut scenes with me and him saying, like "wow, this is like a movie," and so as a ~14 year old that felt pretty cool.

Was disappointed by MGS2. It's actually one of the first games I was mega hyped for that I felt disappointed by, and I didn't really even care about the Raiden thing, I just thought thought it was a slog going back and forth in the same areas and I lost interest in the game. I didn't end up beating it until about ~10 years later in some remake, going back and finally playing it through.

I was pleasantly surprissed by MGS3 having been disappointed by 2, really enjoyed it. And then, again, disappointed by 4 having really enjoyed 3. I haven't played MGS5 yet for more than just the intro, so ... probably have to dive in if I may be one of the 1/3/5 people.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Mega Man Classic seems like a good pick. Some entries are more popular than others but I've never been aware of a true black sheep in the line-up.

Professor Layton 'might' qualify too. Games 2-6 are all various degrees of 'not as good as Curious Village' but I don't recall any of them being singled out.

The black sheep of mainline Pokemon alters constantly as people who grew up with each entry get older. I'd say it's Ruby/Sapphire because there's too much water but nowadays that'll get me flayed alive. So it's debatable if there really is a black sheep at all.
Lol @ various degrees of not as good as Curious Village.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Question, do folks consider the FFVII compilation to be this for the FF franchise? Dirge of Cerberus to me is an epic game. I just cannot dislike it. but i get a sense that folks think of it this way.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the entire Final Fantasy fanbase loves every game equally and there are never arguments about it.

Pretty sure.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Dragon Quest main series is quality.

Yakuza main series is quality, but I guess that Dead Souls disqualifies this (even if it isn't a mainline game).

I don't know if the SaGa series has a black cheep, but I like all the games.

God of War Ascension might be seen as a black cheep, but I really liked it.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Splinter Cell imho. Even Pandora Tomorrow had some cool ideas, even if it wasn't AS good as the game before or after it. I really enjoyed Conviction and Blacklist too, so maybe I'm the black sheep. I dunno.
I couldn't agree more. Every splinter cell game was amazing and blacklist was just as good as it could get. I did miss the original voice for Sam but it wasn't enough to run a perfect stealth game.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Hm....maybe Ninja Gaiden before 3 on the Wii U/360/PS3 came out?

Ninja Gaiden 1 NES
Ninja Gaiden 2 NES
Ninja Gaiden 3 NES
Ninja Gaiden Xbox
Ninja Gaiden 2 Xbox 360

Are all pretty well regarded games. The originals in both series are generally seen as better than the others, but I don't know if any one later game is seen as significantly worse than the others.

Nah Ninja Gaiden 2 NES is often regarded as the best, but NG3 NES has serious issues. Definitely a black sheep.

I'd put forward Ridge Racer. All games through Ridge 7 were well regarded. Even a perhaps lesser entry like Ridge 6 is still fine, certainly nothing that upset too many people.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza absolutely has its black sheep, even if you discount Dead Souls/of the End. Depending on who you talk to, Yakuza 1/Kiwami, Yakuza 3, Yakuza 5, Yakuza 6 and Yakuza 7 all have their detractors. I'd say there's even near-universal agreement about Kiwami, though maybe that's not fair because the franchise wouldn't exist if not for that first game.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Are any of the Persona games bad? Specifically 1 and 2. I've played the others and know they're pretty well regarded, but no one ever talks about the first two.

Persona 1 is a really great ambitious and exploratory title, especially for it's time. Persona 2 IS and EP are top tier JRPGs.

While there's no clear black sheep in the franchise, Persona 5 stands out to me. It's the only one that doesn't even attempt to say or do anything interesting with it's narrative. Which is antithetical to why I enjoy the series.

from what i understand, persona started with 3

I dislike this sentence and everytime it is repeated. It's not even like Persona 3 is unidentifiable from it's predecessors to create such a divide. It's like saying Zelda started with A Link to the Past or Final Fantasy started with 7.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Genres that call for little variation among titles probably have a ton. Racing games popular enough to have 5+ entries will probably qualify. I don't play them, but I assume stuff like Forza, Grand Turismo, Sega Rally, etc might all be consistent.

Same with rail shooters. House of the Dead and Time Crisis don't really have any black sheep as far as I know.

Puzzle games would probably count too if any had more than 5 entries. Only ones I know of are Puyo and Tetris. Puyo might count, but there are tons of weird/bad Tetris games.

Sakura Wars might be another one depending on how you feel about the new one.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Ace Attorney, even counting the Miles spinoffs and the Dai Gyakuten ones
the most divisive one seems to be Dual Destinies, but i mostly see fond memories of it
Ace Attorney 2 is absolutely treated as the black sheep of the original trilogy, and 4 has seen this treatment as well.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Surprisingly enough, if you keep things to only the mainline games in the Classic series I think Mega Man qualifies here. There are the popular favorites (2, 3, 9) and some commonly-cited lower points in the series (1, 5, 8), but none are so widely disliked that I'd consider any of them "black sheep."

This utterly falls apart the second you introduce any other Mega Man series with five or more games in it, though, and also doesn't hold up if you open things up to non-mainline Classic games (Rockman World 2/Mega Man II for Game Boy and the Game Gear version of Mega Man, for example, are definitely black sheep).

Also, Mega Man 5 is amazing and definitely not a low point of the series, but that's a discussion for a different thread. :P
Isn't Mega Man & Bass kinda disliked? Although it's not numbered it does look very main-liney to me.

The Unreal series?

Unless you consider the 2 Xbox games the "black sheep."
2 wasn't very well liked at the time of its release. UT2003 is also very disliked, hence the quick follow-up with UT2004.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Gaiden was definitely considered the black sheep of the franchise for a while, but I'm not sure if it's still seen that way after the remake. Fates is also pretty hated by people.
I feel like Gaiden tried a lot of stuffs that were brought back by the Sacred Stone so I feel like it's not reaaaaaaaaaaaaally the black sheep but then again SMB2 and Zelda 2 are considered black sheeps when both are hugely popular games that were highly sought out even 10 years after release so...
Fates is after Awakening so...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
People saying MGS need to replay 4 because while it is beautiful, it's a beautiful train wreck.