• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Just listen to this guy. Doesn't this make you want to keep playing? If there is one thing I could add to Smash Bros, it would be a narrator this hype.

Dec 11, 2017
Daytona

I guess "ROLLING START" was technically part of the song, but still.

But yeah, Killer Instinct is great.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the one from Capcom vs SNK 2, glad to see it was the first response.

Doesn't mean KI isn't an excellent announcer, but since you asked...

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Announcer from the very first Killer Instinct game was better in my opinion.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly a big fan of the announcer in Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
No there is not. Not sure if Amazon Game Studios has tried to use Mike as an announcer again, I think their competitive game never came out. He was still at AGS when I checked after the KI documentary came out.

KI does have an alternate announcer too but the default one is too good.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
In terms of fighting games, CvS2 and Alpha 3's announcer are top tier alongside Killer Instinct.

"GO FOR BROKE!" "TRIUMPH OR DIE!!"

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
A classic, but a special shoutout goes to the UT2003 announcer, who was more hype.

This.

I wasn't a unreal tournament player, but I've played dota for more than 14 years, and it used the same announcer.

I've played many multiplayer games in my life and I doubt there's one better than that.

Maybe the Killer Instinct announcer comes after.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
A classic, but a special shoutout goes to the UT2003 announcer, who was more hype.

First 10 seconds are like
Count_von_Count_kneeling.png

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The KI games are actually designed for the announcer to literally get louder and more excited sounding the more hype of a thing you do. So a COMBO BREAKER! is one thing, but he sounds like he's going to lose his mind when you do a counter breaker or a really big ultra combo - he doesn't even bother saying "ultra combo" at that point, he just goes "ULTRAAAAAAAAAAA" haha.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Alpha 3's announcer. And yeah, CvS2's was excellent, especially after the monotone one from CvS1.
And for one specific mini game - Fighter is so wonderfully enthusiastic in 0/Kiwami's pocket racing mini game. He makes the rather mundane slot car races sound truly hyped. Really wish I could have gotten turtle racing in Kenzan with his announcing, that would have been hilarious.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
"SHADOW COUNTER!" "COUNTER BREAKER!" from Xbox KI is like the hypest fucking shit I have ever heard, definitely my favourite lines of his.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Dunno why but the SVC Chaos guy comes to mind, only the arcade and ps2 versions cause for some reason the xbox guy sounds way different, also the xbox version says game over super quietly. Had the game on mute on the ps2 back in the day and the other announcer was so loud you could still hear the game over when he yelled it out.

(Couldn't find a voice compilation of the xbox version but you can hear the difference in the gameplay video)

Don't get me wrong the Xbox guy isn't bad by any means it's just that the arcade/ps2 announcer sounds more enthusiastic and dramatic?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does the killer instinct tutorial show you how to do an endless combo? I really want to play this but still intimidated by combo memorization

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
CvS2's announcer was great, but KI's is still tops.

However, don't sleep on this one:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Does the killer instinct tutorial show you how to do an endless combo? I really want to play this but still intimidated by combo memorization

KI combos are pretty freeform, even if they're (possibly) gigantic. They follow a convention of Opener > Auto Double/Triple/Single > Linker > Auto-Double/Triple/Single > Ender. You don't really have to memorize a lot of combos from the little I've played, at least.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
KI combos are pretty freeform, even if they're (possibly) gigantic. They follow a convention of Opener > Auto Double/Triple/Single > Linker > Auto-Double/Triple/Single > Ender. You don't really have to memorize a lot of combos from the little I've played, at least.
I'm not familiar with traditional fighters what do mean by auto double and triple etc

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The best announcers in video game history are GG Stack and Chip Valvano from Super Monday Night Combat.

Sometimes they would even break character because they would fuck up the bit and start laughing at themselves. Ingeniously, the devs kept those takes in the game.