• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's more interesting to see which movies pull of the reverse of this.

Summer of 84 is a predictable, boring slog throughout that was seemingly only created to pander to the Stranger Things and It crowd, but then out of nowhere it has a really inventive third act with non-traditional ending which made me wish the rest of the movie was even half as interesting.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Haven't seen this yet, but I definitely felt the final act of Get Out was very weak.
What? The final act was great. I dont know if I have seen a movie with a better pay off. That ending, is one of my favorites

the fake out with the police car and then it actually being his friend was so satisfying

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Though I know some people like it, I agree that Sunshine's tonal shift was jarring and disappointing given the excellence that preceded it and the movie's super-interesting premise.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Every MCU Netflix show.

Also: Superman, The Movie. Spinning the earth because you didn't come up with a good idea for the third act.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The Cure for Wellness.

The whole movie isn't amazing, but at least intriguing, and it just devolves into B movie schlock in the last 1/3.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more interesting to see which movies pull of the reverse of this.

Summer of 84 is a predictable, boring slog throughout that was seemingly only created to pander to the Stranger Things and It crowd, but then out of nowhere it has a really inventive third act with non-traditional ending which made me wish the rest of the movie was even half as interesting.

God that third act is so goddamn good. Its not often horror flicks pull through on the endings nowadays too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i defense of Minority Report if kind of pushed the epilogue to the side, like a 20 second snippet of "... and then stuff happened". like Anderton could've gone on to shoot up a mcdonald's you really wouldn't care at that point.

though yeah, very by the numbers Spielberg. hard not to give it an eye roll

Oct 30, 2017
Like the literal guy screaming to the audience "They Say you have VISIONS, that your life flashes before your eyes that ALL YOUR DREAMS ... come true"

k6DukZU.png

The 'all your dreams' part is a central problem with this interpretation that leads to it falling apart.

If we assume the dream theory is true, then Anderton should find his son alive or at the very least what happened to him.
Anderton doesn't, which means that not all his dreams come true and so what the guard says is unreliable.
But the reason we have to believe the dream theory is accepting that what the guard says is reliable and that the 'happy' ending is dreams coming true.
So, accepting the dream theory requires us to deny that the evidence for the dream theory is reliable.
This is absurd, and so we should reject the dream theory.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
This too. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the threat and the characters' behaviors work as a metaphor but not in the context of the movie. It's invisible, not intangible, but this distinction is never used to the protagonist's advantage. Maybe pelt it with flour or paint if the plan was to have your friend shoot at it, yeah? Or maybe think of that before the brilliant plan of luring it into a pool lined with toasters.

Then because they wrote themselves into a corner with an apparently unstoppable force and really stupid characters, it just kinda ends.

It's a homage to Nancy's genius plan in Nightmare On Elm Street in pulling Freddy out of the dream into the real world.

Sometimes when you're desperate to come across as clever online it helps to stop, take a second, and realise you're talking about teenagers in a horror film who are not teenagers who watch a lot of horror films. Your average teenagers aren't aren't going to come up with some clever plan.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Us is so frustrating. Masterfully put together, intriguing, and gorgeous for 90% of its runtime, then complete, throw-everything-at-the-wall nonsense for the last 10%.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I liked Sunshine's final act, but I'm a sucker for sci-fi horror in general, even schlocky sci-fi horror. I love Pandorum, for example.

The Devil Inside ends in a cliffhanger that cuts to black, says 'the mystery was never solved', then a URL pops up that leads you to a site that advertises the movie.

That's the end.
You're actually underselling the absurdity here.

The film ends with the main characters in a car. It's suddenly revealed that the driver was possessed and immediately steers into oncoming traffic. EVERYONE DIES. Cut to black. The end.

The abruptness of the ending followed by the shameless promotion is legitimately hilarious in hindsight.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Hereditary got worse the more it became clear
that it was actually a demon and not just the mom going crazy

Yeah. What set it apart from other typical horror movies is just how strong the performance is, especially from Toni Collette, but the ending is incredibly predictable and I am just really disappointed that the movie went exactly the path that I think it's going to be while watching it. Personally, it's a tired "twist".

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a homage to Nancy's genius plan in Nightmare On Elm Street in pulling Freddy out of the dream into the real world.

Sometimes when you're desperate to come across as clever online it helps to stop, take a second, and realise you're talking about teenagers in a horror film who are not teenagers who watch a lot of horror films. Your average teenagers aren't aren't going to come up with some clever plan.
I wouldn't call throwing paint on it to make it easier to shoot a clever plan, more like common sense, but okay. Even the kid in that Goosebumps book was able to think up "what if I made it visible so people believed me?" as a plan. Also Nancy was limited in help because the town refused to help to cover up the vigilante murder. These ones didn't even try for outside help because of the metaphorical concept of an STD. The family in the first Conjuring didn't have to be genre savvy to come up with the plan of "can we just leave?" and the writers realized that someone would probably ask that question in that situation.

Last edited:

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insiduous.

When the ghost hunters come in, it feels like the cast members of a completely different movie (a goofier one), comes in.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Book ending wouldn't have really made sense with the rest of the movie, though, since it showed little indication that the vampires are anything more than feral.
They're not even vampires just zombie mutants or whatever

It's not perfect but in the original ending Will Smith realized that the reason the monsters were hunting him down was because he captured the mate of the alpha and the fact he spent his free time kidnapping and experimenting on them so they think he's a monster. So they have some level of intelligence

They're intelligent vampires but it's better than the grenade ending

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Book ending wouldn't have really made sense with the rest of the movie, though, since it showed little indication that the vampires are anything more than feral.

Yeah they fucked the whole thing up really. The first part is decent, but they didn't have a good ending so they should have just stuck closer to the original story.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My vote would go for Jeepers Creepers.

My mum rented it from Blockbusters when I was like 11 or 12. We had just got surround sound set up and it was the first movie we watched. The first hour or so where the brother and sister are being chased by this huge truck was super tense. Seeing him disposing bodies in the chute. Realising they're getting caught up in it. The song coming over the radio. The locals acting strange towards them.

Then you see the monster and it's absolutely hilarious.

Mar 29, 2018
I guess the denouement is way too upbeat, neat and tidy - but I don't think any one aspect of it is particularly awful. There are much worse examples of this. I still think the twist is handled real good.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The 'all your dreams' part is a central problem with this interpretation that leads to it falling apart.

If we assume the dream theory is true, then Anderton should find his son alive or at the very least what happened to him.
Anderton doesn't, which means that not all his dreams come true and so what the guard says is unreliable.
But the reason we have to believe the dream theory is accepting that what the guard says is reliable and that the 'happy' ending is dreams coming true.
So, accepting the dream theory requires us to deny that the evidence for the dream theory is reliable.
This is absurd, and so we should reject the dream theory.
He goes back to his wife and she is basically already pregnant. You know, the act of getting a new son.

And some people mention that Cruise got closure for his son by freeing the precogs from the water, just like he lost his son in the water

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The Departed.

Not to the extent that it ruins the movie, but things were faltering even before the rat appeared.

Specifically when the Leo gets killed

It took it down a notch from GOAT status to just a great movie.

Last edited:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Fundamentally disagree with everyone saying Hereditary, which is my favourite third act in a film for years.

Actual thread candidate: The Silent House (2010). A real-time haunted house film edited to look like it's been shot in one continuous take, which makes it incredibly tense and effective until the halfway point,
when we discover that the supernatural elements are all in the heroine's head as a way of processing her abusive childhood.
Ruins the film and makes all the buildup seem pointless.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I Am Legend was worse, because the book already had an all-time great ending and they just cast it aside for a bad ending.

Alternative generally restores the intent of the book's ending - would definitely recommend watching it, it actually makes it a really great movie. It's the only way I've ever watched it.