• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they use the cutscene rule. Only damage taken by the characters in cutscenes is canon, gameplay damage doesn't count.

As far as in-game reasoning, I guess it's that the characters you play as are just that good at killing shit and not getting bitten. It's one of things I found a bit refreshing about RE7, Ethan gets absolutely brutalized in that game, although his healing factor is explained in the story.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
theres actually no zombie virus, people are just LARPing real hard

Jul 24, 2018
And yeah similar to how Naughry Dog explained that Drake doesn't ever get shot in Uncharted but rather his luck makes him scrape bullets until it runs out. I imagine the bites are treated as non canon. Until they are canon heh.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
uR6kK9V.jpg

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why do health bars exist?

Though, I suppose i too had this question too, abet as a kid, OP.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's just not canon. Same as literally every action, or FPS game where the player gets what should be a mortal wound or gunshot and survives.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Nathan Drake, Naughty Dog once said that your health ingame is your "luck"
The final shot who kills you is the only one who actually hits Nate.
This is how I always view it. In all games, every 'hit' we take to our HP or what have you is a bullet that whizzed by Nate's head, or a zombie that nearly got its teeth into Chris before being pushed off. When you run out of health, that's when it actually connects.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This is how I always view it. In all games, every 'hit' we take to our HP or what have you is a bullet that whizzed by Nate's head, or a zombie that nearly got its teeth into Chris before being pushed off. When you run out of health, that's when it actually connects.
That's a fun way of looking at it.
Laws of the in game universe is some people have immunity, not everyone just turns.
Yeah, I'm going with this based on the 10% of people being immune. Works for me.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Dante gets stabbed all the time in cutscenes yet can never die.

but in gameplay, I can die if I get stabbed by something

Ruins the immersion completley

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Same reason Mario's head doesn't split open when he smashes it against giant bricks.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Herbs. If everyone with a little bite had a green herb to munch/inject/smoke/shove in their ass then they wouldn't get infected. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that there are story beats that have the player getting a herb to a character before they get infected.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This applies to just about every action game.
Most games in general, if you think about it. Say RPGs, if you were to think how the story is progressed in realistic canon, you never DIE. Oh, when you play a game, as a player, your party DOES die, but after a "Game Over", you continue from your last save point. Basically, in all these games, the story from start to finish is OF the gameplay where you DON'T die between checkpoints/savepoints/save states within a game. Death is non-canon because you are always going to try again and try NOT to die the next time. Unless it's written into the story, your characters never really die in their games. Their experiences from beginning to end are the equivalent of a no-death run.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For Nathan Drake, Naughty Dog once said that your health ingame is your "luck"
The final shot who kills you is the only one who actually hits Nate.

I've thought about using a system like this for a zombie RPG. No one ever actually takes damage until their luck is out and then if they get hit, they get either a major injury or die.

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
I know this is the real answer, but I was just curious if it had ever been addressed in any of the media from the franchise. I'm sure thousands of people have asked my question before, so I figure someone somewhere that's worked on a game or book or something has made up some bullshit reason. I wanna hear that bullshit.

Something about your insistence about hearing the bullshit has tickled me. Love the thread!

On this note, something that's always bugged me about Pokemon. In the original games when all pokemon fainted your character would 'black out'. Is there ever any explanation as to why this happens? Does the Pokemon upon winning a battle proceed to attack the trainer? :|

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The most ridiculous shit is in Remake3, where Jill gets that bug to infect her from inside or some alien crap.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Something about your insistence about hearing the bullshit has tickled me. Love the thread!
Hahaha. It's all I want! Thanks for the post. It's like Kingdom Hearts or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. There's so much bullshit, but it's really entertaining to see it explained earnestly.
The most ridiculous shit is in Remake3, where Jill gets that bug to infect her from inside or some alien crap.
I played that part last night. It was genuinely unnerving to see the bug attach itself to her face and shove pieces of its body down her throat. I hated those enemies. Fucking nasty.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I haven't looked into it but I always assumed the virus needs the host to be either grievously injured or dead before it can take over.