• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
the same adapter , the pads are one and the same (outside of the shape and extra button)

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
The old ones work just fine, both the original and the updated version. That's how I"m playing on PC. Or you can just get a Bluetooth adapter if you don't have one, they work with that as well.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The wireless adapter is the same. They haven't changed the protocol.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm using the older larger wireless adapter with the Shock Blue controller. Works perfectly now after having to update the controller using my Xbox One though.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
What's the difference between connecting your Xbox One/Series controller via the stick vs connecting via Bluetooth?
I've always just connected mine through that

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What's the difference between connecting your Xbox One/Series controller via the stick vs connecting via Bluetooth?
The official adapter uses wifi and works correctly, the bluetooth connectivity is a piece of shit that drops out all the time, causes random performance issues, only allows 1 simultaneous gamepad, and doesn't support trigger rumble.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
The official adapter uses wifi and works correctly, the bluetooth connectivity is a piece of shit that drops out all the time, causes random performance issues, only allows 1 simultaneous gamepad, and doesn't support trigger rumble.

Weird, I haven't had any of those issue. I'm the only one who would be playing on my computer so I didn't even know the one controller thing. Good to know in case I start having any issues

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had the issues with disconnects other people here have mentioned, but bluetooth does have other disadvantages. One I've noticed is that Xbox One controllers over bluetooth don't register holding down the home button properly, meaning any home button chords you have set up with Steam Input are super finicky.
I didn't know the xbox controller had separate rumbles for the triggers and the rest of the controller body. I turned vibration off globally since I don't like it much, but the little time I used it I didn't realize it was rumbling in different places... o_O
Very few games use it on Windows, like a fraction of Microsoft's own output.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Can confirm bluetooth connectivity is shit; hoping that's fixed in a future firmware update.

Trigger rumble works correctly, however. Felt it in both Forza Horizon 4 and Death Standing.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

For me the adapter is simply way more reliable. I don't know if I had hitches or issues in my bluetooth software/antenna/motherboard but I would have infrequent but persistent connection loss through bluetooth that I don't experience with my bt headphones. Use the adapter and it all just works flawlessly.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I find odd that I have to look on youtube for the updated drivers of the dongle, unless there is a new model that Im missing out

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can confirm bluetooth connectivity is shit; hoping that's fixed in a future firmware update.

Trigger rumble works correctly, however. Felt it in both Forza Horizon 4 and Death Standing.
Maybe they implemented it recently then, I could swear it wasn't working some time ago.

It's still shit and everyone should pretend it doesn't exist and just buy the adapter though.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I find odd that I have to look on youtube for the updated drivers of the dongle, unless there is a new model that Im missing out
you shouldn't need to "update" drivers.
IF you have the original version windows sets up everything.
If you have a "chinese" (vietnamese?) knock off then you need to tell windows that the device is the adapter as windows won't recognize it normally.

Jul 26, 2018
I haven't had the issues with disconnects other people here have mentioned, but bluetooth does have other disadvantages. One I've noticed is that Xbox One controllers over bluetooth don't register holding down the home button properly, meaning any home button chords you have set up with Steam Input are super finicky.

Very few games use it on Windows, like a fraction of Microsoft's own output.
I mean on XSX. I have rumble disabled at console level that's why I never noticed.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Maybe they implemented it recently then, I could swear it wasn't working some time ago.

It's still shit and everyone should pretend it doesn't exist and just buy the adapter though.

At this point in time I refuse to spend an extra $20 on top of the $60 I already spent on the controller to fix its wireless connectivity. It's 2021 and every other bluetooth device I own works perfectly fine, Microsoft just needs to get their shit together.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
mine worked kinda fine on my motherboard BT, only thing was that at low battery games would start chugging
got an adapter when they were on sale and I can't said the connection feels any different

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup Bluetooth is not as reliable. The official adapter is the way to go.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017