• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Partly inspired by the Guilty Gear Strive announcement; it would seem the 2 solutions for story mode in a fighting game are...
A. Cutscenes with fights occasionally
B. Just cutscenes
These have been done in response to the fact that story modes usually tend to be too short as you quickly exhaust all the people you can fight if there's not long enough intermissions between fights and of course fighting the CPU can be a lackluster experience since Fighting games are primarily a multiplayer genre so it's understandable to maybe just get rid of them.

But is this really the best possible approach to this? Both approaches seem to have the huge issue in that you are barely playing the game at all and even when you are the AI is far too rudimentary to pose an interesting challenge.

I understand that there's also the Smash Bros approach with Subspace Emissary but that is reliant on the fact that Smash Bros is a mix between fighting games and platformers where the latter can take up the slack of the former. A traditional fighting game doesn't have this luxury but I suppose you could argue that there's no way to improve on it if you stick to tradition.

Is what we currently have just the best we can get or is there a better way to move forward?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Take what mk mythologies sub zero did and expand on it. A fighting game 2d open world/metroidvania hybrid

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Have an overworld and make it like a RPG.

...just kidding (kind of).

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
My fav story mode was konquest mode in Mk deception. It would be cool if Netherealm bought that back.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Find a way to make it rogue-like

Or craft a narrative like Def Jam: Fight for NY, and add in a few branching paths depending on wins/losses

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Incorporate parts of the tutorial into the story mode and give the player more to do while actually teaching them how to play the game. By the end of the story, they should be far more capable and understand the mechanics of the game much more than going in. Have fights that focus on specific elements of fighting games like needing to properly anti-air or needing to block high then low attacks quickly otherwise you'll have no chance of winning etc. Have boss battles combine several recently learned elements together so you actually feel like progress is being made.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Cutscene > Fight > Cutscene > Fight seems to work for now.

Hopefully in the future we can weave training and tutorials in the story mode. Them's Fighting Herds had a unique idea with having special npc fights in which each type of npc had a specific kind of attack. So if one character constantly attacked from above, you'd have to learn to anti air. It'd be a great way to increase engagement if handled properly.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I think NetherRealm is the closest to getting it right. My ideal would have the story change depending on outcomes of battles or who you choose to play (More so than the occasional choices or picking between two endings in NetherRealm games).

Maybe throw the occasional non-fighting gameplay in there like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure PSX Super Story Mode for good measure.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Maybe it's because I'm deep 20 hours into 13 Sentinels, but a fighting game making its story mode like 13 sentinels would be great.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Granblue tried an RPG mode with side scrolling elements that seemed really cool in theory but I heard it wasn't executed that well. But something like that would be cool.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Dating mechanics
/s

As a start, give me a good overarching narrative/reason why I should be fighting X or Y character.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Subspace Emissary really highlights the limits of taking a fighting game engine and applying it to a platformer.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think cutscene -> fight -> repeat is the best way to handle it for purely fighting games. I love how Netherrealm handles theirs.
Idk I hate when they make say good guys in the Justice league fight one another for no reason but to pad out their games, it makes the story feel even more nonsense

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Dating Mechanics, but instead of gifts you have to smack them in the face with the correct attacks/combos.

Serious answer:

Make the stories are only character driven, no overarching "story mode". Have it so characters have branching paths and not all endings are canon if any. Let the fans/community figure out the story from there.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Netherrealm handles it well.

I just wish fighting games also had beat-em-up sections for Story Mode.

Anyone remembers "Tekken Force Mode"? That was my FAVORITE mode in Tekken, and truly felt like it was going to be the future of Fighting Game modes.

Give me a mix of "Tekken Force Mode", and mix it with MK style story-telling (so e.g. Story, Fight, Story, Force Mode, Story, Force Mode Leading to Fight, etc), and you've got a permanent fan.

I won't mind something like Gacha games like KOF: All Stars as well, but on a bigger scale without compromising the fight aspect of it.

Fighting game story modes should be full featured beat-em ups.

Anything less is a compromise

You are my hivemind! :D

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I hate the new Guilty Gear way of doing it. Netherrealm has it down perfectly. The newer Mortal Kombats are so fun to follow because they are interactive stories.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Make it like Animal Crossing where you have to pay off a huge debt to a mercenary landlord by winning prize money from fights.

OP
OP
Jonathan Lanza

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
So what IS the Mortal Kombat way? I've never actually played the story mode in any of them but is not the usual cutscene > fight > repeat? Not to sound reductive or anything.
Fighting game story modes should be full featured beat-em ups.

Anything less is a compromise
Red Earth/Warzard comes close. It's not exactly a beat em up but it's mainly a boss rush game. However that style is only doable because it's entirely from the ground up supposed to be a singleplayer game right down to only having 4 characters. Still it's a valid approach.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games don't need a crazy story.

Whatever SFV tried to do should never be done again. It was an obnoxious waste of developer time and money that was ultimately corny as hell.

Instructional manual lore, cutscenes before certain fights, and an ending after the last boss, however nonsensical, is the way to go.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
So what IS the Mortal Kombat way? I've never actually played the story mode in any of them but is not the usual cutscene > fight > repeat? Not to sound reductive or anything.

Watch the first 15 minutes to get an idea of MK style story-telling.

It's essentially a full-on story, with moments that lead to fighting, rather than fighting and then it leading to story.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Make the Yakuza team make a fighting game that takes place in Kamurocho. Make it exactly like a Yakuza story, but make it a fighting game.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's just that. Long cutscenes and then whenever characters fight, it turns seamlessly into you controlling one of them. SFV attempted the same thing.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I personally prefer more minigame focused stuff like the beat em up mode of tekken or the more rpg focused stuff of old mortal kombats
"Cutscene -> Fight -> Cutscene" also works but please don't take themselves too seriously.
Textboxes on sprites works better than a shitty cg story mode.

But i personally prefer for games to have a small "one image at the start one at the end" of arcade mode and focus on more minigames or weird shit, like most smash bros games have made. Give me the Tekken Balls or Home Run contests .. or even a beat em up mode without story =P

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I think Granblue tried an RPG mode with side scrolling elements that seemed really cool in theory but I heard it wasn't executed that well. But something like that would be cool.

As someone who played it, it doesn't work because the core gameplay in Granblue is pretty sluggish and (imo) unfun. Not to mention the long loading times between everything. The RPG aspects of the RPG also really suck, since it's, like most mobile games, just about increasing 'Power' to do decent damage. I don't recall there being any 'fun' rpg stuff like Poison and whatnot, just stat sticks.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my answer would be a bit different depending on if the story mode is somehow acting as a replacement for the traditional "arcade" mode or if it is a separate thing and the arcade mode is still present.

Ideally I don't really want different genres of gameplay or anything (beat em ups, platformers, etc). I still would prefer it be the standard gameplay best 2 out of 3 matches type of deal, just come up with some (meaningful!) way of choosing opponents, have some (reasonable!) amount of dialog before and after the fight, and let there be some sort of decision making that has to happen based off of the dialogue or how the fight ended.

If the choice of opponents isn't meaningful (say it is just a pass/fail kind of tree) then that might as well be your arcade mode. Some puzzle solving/mario world kinda map maybe type of thing would be preferable. And don't do the SFV thing where you have a comparatively long amount of dialog and then you do a 1-round fight before the next long amount of dialog. Hate that.

Last edited:

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Incorporate parts of the tutorial into the story mode and give the player more to do while actually teaching them how to play the game. By the end of the story, they should be far more capable and understand the mechanics of the game much more than going in. Have fights that focus on specific elements of fighting games like needing to properly anti-air or needing to block high then low attacks quickly otherwise you'll have no chance of winning etc. Have boss battles combine several recently learned elements together so you actually feel like progress is being made.

This sounds like heaven and I wish games would follow this method.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I like the Mortal Kombat / Injustice way (cut-scene -> fight -> cut-scene), since it forces you to try various characters and those three or four fights you have to play as those characters are often enough for you to learn their playstyles and give you enough info to decide whether or not you want to main them later.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017

The execution was a bit off since the battles took place in the stages used for regular fights so it was a bit too cramped and you really didn't move anywhere. They could have made scrolling stages, like the one you fight Colossus in, but they didn't.

What Granble did better were the boss fights, which had their own mechanics and were pretty unique from each other and were more interesting than just regular fights against the normal characters.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Write a story that's actually just about fighting a bunch of people in a row.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Personally, I've never cared for story modes in fighting game. Just give me a solid single player experience for when I can't connect online and I'm good. I love the different challenge modes in SSBU.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I like Soulcalibur's story mode where you create a character and just fight a bunch of battles with a story linking major battles but there also being a lot of optional smaller battles too. I put a lot of time into Libra of Soul in Soulcalibur 6.

I don't mind the idea of the "VN with battles" thing. The problem is that the writing in the few I've tried has been bad. Didn't get very far into Persona 4 Arena with how bad and dry the writing was.

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of like what Soul Calibur VI and Street Fighter V did, with a story that often makes you fight regular dudes, because it doesn't make sense that the same 20 people will fight each other over and over.

However, what both games failed miserably in, is making those generic story people playable at least in versus. SC6 has a character edit so you could theoretically make them yourself, but come on. I don't care if they're not particularly balanced.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is such a no-brainer solution and I really have to wonder why it hasn't been done. There must be some technical reason that I'm not aware of. It probably comes down to focusing entirely on competitive balance and having no time for frills. Street Fighter 6 should do this instead of reinventing the mechanics every game.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I think I really dig stuff like Weapon Master in SC2 and world of Light in Smash Ultimate. Just like, really gameplay focused with story beats as highlights. I'm not as into the Netherealm style because I feel like I'm too frequently interrupted by either gameplay or cutscene depending on the moment of the story. I think those types of thing can be appropriate for finales or openings, though!