• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Hello! Welcome to Spirituality and Mindset ERA. This OT is still a work in progress as it grows from a general thread about spirituality to a place to share, discuss and recommend ideas, books, discourses and materials. Perhaps you have never considered spirituality but are interested, then this thread is also for you, or perhaps you have only a fleeting interest but wish to discuss something on your mind, then this thread is also for you.

I will create threadmarks and try to keep this OP updated with interesting information the community posts here, and at the end of the day hopefully we can all grow not only as individuals, but as a collective to heighten our connection to the Universe.

I believe anyone can fit in here, of all walks of life, religion, creed or colour. I don't believe in gating off these ideas and constructs to a particular group of people, especially if they believe in growing in wisdom, achieving a sense of balance in the universe or simply being their better self, so I hope anyone can come here and feel comfortable sharing their thoughts, stories and even woes without fear of judgement or hatred.

Also I'll be the first to say I'm no perfect individual, and even on ERA I have made many a mistake, through spiritual and mindset growth I aim to learn from the error of these ways continuously to be a more balanced human being both on and offline.

So please feel free to share your insights and your journeys, ask questions and be inquisitive, it's all welcome.

So I am a big believer in spirituality, and building a positive mindset. I like to read a lot of material based on these topics too.

i've noticed the lockdown has been getting to a lot of people around me, and I feel like the reason I am coping much better is through the years spent of spiritual practice and study.

This stuff really helps, anyone else share these Interests?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Meeeee! I'm struggling to stay positive but it helps.
Only 10 more member posts in this thread and I can start to consider using the dozensofus.gif haha.

That's great though! Yeah it's a really tough time but I feel stillness in particular helps. This reminds me I'm finallygoing to get round to reading Herman Hesse's Siddhartha.

Mar 10, 2018
I've been trying. Been reading several texts, meditating, trying to maintain a state of mindfulness. And I'm definitely willing to help start up a spiritual community here, if need be.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Part of my spiritual learning has been:
-Taking control of your emotions and reactions to circumstances outside of your control while also accepting them as they are.
-Diverting thoughts from the problem to Focusing on positive action(a.k.a. the solution).
-Observing without evaluating. "It is what it is."

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
What does "spirituality/mindset" mean?

Not sure what exactly you're asking so I'll try and answer several things at once haha.

Spirituality can be many things, for some it's religion, for others a psuedo-science, for me it's a way of connecting with the Universe and in turn, myself, in a way that helps provide me with a greater understanding of life, karma and the world around us.

Mindset, in the context I used it, is more about building up a mindset of positive growth and attitude. I used to be a very pessimistic and negative person, with several negative traits and habits. That's not to say I'm some sort of saint now, I am only human, but opening the mind up to various philosophies and teachings has allowed me to build a much better mindset that helps me in my day to day life. A mindset of mindfulness, gratitude and stillness.

In short, it is all about overcoming the ego and growing as a person.

I've been trying. Been reading several texts, meditating, trying to maintain a state of mindfulness. And I'm definitely willing to help start up a spiritual community here, if need be.
That sounds good! What have you been reading? And absolutely, that was one of the reasons for me to make this topic is to gauge the interest, I know tensions get quite high on ERA haha, it would be really nice to build up a community of people who like to open their minds up, listen and learn from one another to become, and love, not only our selves but the wider world.

Part of my spiritual learning has been:
-Taking control of your emotions and reactions to circumstances outside of your control while also accepting them as they are.
-Diverting thoughts from the problem to Focusing on positive action(a.k.a. the solution).
-Observing without evaluating. "It is what it is."

I have been focussing a lot on the concept of "acceptance" lately, but more so positive acceptance. Have you read into stoicism? The stoic community can be quite intense, but the actual teachings themselves are very spiritual in depth.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I think part of what has been helping me has been to confront whenever I'm experiencing some sort of "bad mood". Acknowledging it, and taking steps from there. I used to really not process any of those kinds of emotions.

But additionally I've been reading a lot of books about my practice in my collection that I've been meaning to read. Not quite back in the habit of meditating daily but I'll get there.

Mar 10, 2018
That sounds good! What have you been reading? And absolutely, that was one of the reasons for me to make this topic is to gauge the interest, I know tensions get quite high on ERA haha, it would be really nice to build up a community of people who like to open their minds up, listen and learn from one another to become, and love, not only our selves but the wider world.

I highly recommend The Leap: The Psychology of Spiritual Awakening by Steve Taylor. The book is basically a wide-ranging study of the different aspects of spiritual awakening, or the "wakeful state" as he calls it. He interviews dozens of normal, regular individuals who have experienced the shift into a stable, ongoing, higher state of consciousness, and notes the similarities and differences in their experiences, as well as the different ways in which that state can be brought about. Taylor does an excellent job of demystifying what it means to be "enlightened," proving that it is not some superhuman, divinely-ordained achievement that is only possible for a few extraordinary individuals such as Buddhist monks or Christian saints, but a natural, normal state for all human beings, which is more common than one would think.

Taylor himself is an awakened individual, as well as a senior lecturer at Leeds Beckett University in the United Kingdom, with a PhD in transpersonal psychology (I think?). He is also a poet, and I recommend another book of his, The Calm Center. It is a short book of spiritual poems, which capture the strife and suffering of the ego-bound "sleep state," as well as the liberty and graceful ease of the wakeful state.

I've also been reading all of the works of Eckhart Tolle, whom you've probably heard of. Also been re-reading the Tao Te Ching, and ever since coming into contact with the aforementioned authors, it's starting to make a lot more sense. Next up on the reading list is Not I, Not Other than I by Russel Williams, a spiritual teacher and long-time friend as well as mentor of Steve Taylor's.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hollaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yea I love this kind of stuff because it is very human and is often philosophical in nature.

I love the movies which make you think about human nature. Revolver by Guy Ritchie was neat for this. Looking at analysis of this movie shows that it focuses a lot on philosophy. On the ego specifically and how it is the source of a lot of our pain, that the ego is the best con man.

I really enjoyed this one here: https://vk.com/@very_important_information-insight-from-revolver-the-formula-to-enlightenment

This movie and article helped me to reconsider what was driving me, or more accurately, what was holding me back from achieving anything. It was only when I started to do the things that scared me that I felt happy. It made me realize that I was holding myself back from finding satisfaction in life.

There are things that I know I should do but I don't because it scares me too much. It would be good for me I know but it is the hardest thing. I have been slowly doing things. Passing off opportunities until I get tired of running and just go for it. It is tough to face yourself.

It is something you can see in others. You need only look at some trumpers and see how their fear and ego has consumed them to do really dumb shit because they don't want to take responsibility, they don't want to face their fears that maybe they need to be better. No it's everyone else who is wrong, who is worse. Projections.

The ego is fear, it holds us back from meaningful experience. Have you ever wondered why you are afraid of something and thinking about it, you don't really know why you should be?

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to this thread.

Looking to incorporate more spirituality into my life, just want to live more mindfully and peacefully.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm excited to see some posters here! What books is everyone reading? Right now I'm finishing up Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark by Konstantinos. After that I'll be reading an Affirmations book, I unfortunately have forgotten the title and don't have it with me. lol

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I think I could contribute to this thread to a degree. This of a definitely an area I have spent a large portion of my life better understanding and learning to embody. Many insights, experiences and stories, i maybe be able to share that others may find useful in thier own journey.

Something I'd recommend to most anyone is studying the principles of hermetics. The more you are able to understand and notice/see/observe different correspondences of the various principles, the more you will see them everywhere, and I'll just leave that at that for the moment.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I have my eyes on St John Climacus' "Ladder of Divine Ascent", St Isaac the Syrian's "Ascetical Homilies", and the five volumes of the Philokalia. I wanted to get all of it at once once the last volume of the Philokalia comes out in June, but with the extended lockdown I have no idea when I'll be able to order stuff from Amazon again...

I've been following a simplified prayer rule (just opening prayers + 100 Jesus Prayers + closing prayers, which takes about 25 minutes) and doing it every three hours, according to the Daily Office (so I add some prayers of the Hours as well). But staying up all night for the Sunday of Easter made me tired so I'm waiting until Monday to resume. It's still Easter (Bright Week) so I'm just relaxing and keeping the paschal troparion at the back of my head.

Sometime when I can I'll sit down and read the Book of Psalms, from the Orthodox Study Bible. But right now I've just finished reading Jean-Claude Larchet's "Therapeutic of Mental Illness", I'm in the middle of reading Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew's "Speaking the Truth in Love", and I'm about to read Father Marc-Antoine Costa de Beauregard's "Pray Like You Breathe" (recommended to me by my priest's wife). Obviously of all these things the Psalms are my priority, but I've been sitting down and reading each book of the Bible in one sitting, and based on the time it took me to read previous texts, reading the whole Psalter in one sitting might take me about 20 hours... I'm waiting to have a day where I can wake up at 3am so I can take care of that. Incidentally this is one reason I've been praying at the time of the Hours - to keep myself constantly mindful in spite of being tired, and to get used to going to sleep after Compline at 9pm, getting up once at midnight for the Midnight Office, and getting up for real at 3am for Matins.

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend The Leap: The Psychology of Spiritual Awakening by Steve Taylor. The book is basically a wide-ranging study of the different aspects of spiritual awakening, or the "wakeful state" as he calls it. He interviews dozens of normal, regular individuals who have experienced the shift into a stable, ongoing, higher state of consciousness, and notes the similarities and differences in their experiences, as well as the different ways in which that state can be brought about. Taylor does an excellent job of demystifying what it means to be "enlightened," proving that it is not some superhuman, divinely-ordained achievement that is only possible for a few extraordinary individuals such as Buddhist monks or Christian saints, but a natural, normal state for all human beings, which is more common than one would think.

Taylor himself is an awakened individual, as well as a senior lecturer at Leeds Beckett University in the United Kingdom, with a PhD in transpersonal psychology (I think?). He is also a poet, and I recommend another book of his, The Calm Center. It is a short book of spiritual poems, which capture the strife and suffering of the ego-bound "sleep state," as well as the liberty and graceful ease of the wakeful state.

I've also been reading all of the works of Eckhart Tolle, whom you've probably heard of. Also been re-reading the Tao Te Ching, and ever since coming into contact with the aforementioned authors, it's starting to make a lot more sense. Next up on the reading list is Not I, Not Other than I by Russel Williams, a spiritual teacher and long-time friend as well as mentor of Steve Taylor's.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely add it to my list. Also because he is a poet and I like to scribble my own poems, so I've just gone and downloaded the pdf for The Calm Center!

So I have read most of the Power of Now which I quite liked, but none of his other works. Are they just as good?

Hollaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yea I love this kind of stuff because it is very human and is often philosophical in nature.

I love the movies which make you think about human nature. Revolver by Guy Ritchie was neat for this. Looking at analysis of this movie shows that it focuses a lot on philosophy. On the ego specifically and how it is the source of a lot of our pain, that the ego is the best con man.

I really enjoyed this one here: https://vk.com/@very_important_information-insight-from-revolver-the-formula-to-enlightenment

This movie and article helped me to reconsider what was driving me, or more accurately, what was holding me back from achieving anything. It was only when I started to do the things that scared me that I felt happy. It made me realize that I was holding myself back from finding satisfaction in life.

There are things that I know I should do but I don't because it scares me too much. It would be good for me I know but it is the hardest thing. I have been slowly doing things. Passing off opportunities until I get tired of running and just go for it. It is tough to face yourself.

It is something you can see in others. You need only look at some trumpers and see how their fear and ego has consumed them to do really dumb shit because they don't want to take responsibility, they don't want to face their fears that maybe they need to be better. No it's everyone else who is wrong, who is worse. Projections.

The ego is fear, it holds us back from meaningful experience. Have you ever wondered why you are afraid of something and thinking about it, you don't really know why you should be?

This is great, I'm going to watch this movie and then read the article. I read the first few paragraphs and I can definitely relate. I'm really glad you have started to find satisfaction in life! I began doing things that I used to fear since some years ago and I have never looked back.

In fact I used to have a huge ego actually, and it took a long winding path of spirituality (on which I am still on of course) to make me realise that the "self" I had built up was not only damaging me but causing me to damage the people around me. I think once you hit a certain point of self-awareness there is a long process of deconstructing the "self" involved, which can lead you to very dark places. For me I have a lot of childhood trauma which has had cascading affects on many aspects of my life, and I have peaked through so many spectrums of human emotion and personality changes before learning to truly dismantle from the idea of ego and acquire a resolute sense of self. Still, some days I falter, so it's on going.

I do enjoy reading/watching any material to do with ego however, I find ego to be one of the most fascinating human personality traits.

I'm excited to see some posters here! What books is everyone reading? Right now I'm finishing up Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark by Konstantinos. After that I'll be reading an Affirmations book, I unfortunately have forgotten the title and don't have it with me. lol

So currently I am about to start Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Franke, you might have heard of it, it's quite a popular holocaust survivor book. Wow, so I just looked into Nocturnal Witchcraft, wasn't expecting that. So you're into real Witchcraft? What got you into that and has it elevated you in a spiritual way? Would love to know.

I think I could contribute to this thread to a degree. This of a definitely an area I have spent a large portion of my life better understanding and learning to embody. Many insights, experiences and stories, i maybe be able to share that others may find useful in thier own journey.

Something I'd recommend to most anyone is studying the principles of hermetics. The more you are able to understand and notice/see/observe different correspondences of the various principles, the more you will see them everywhere, and I'll just leave that at that for the moment.

Okay, so I've just looked into it on your recommendation for the past 10 minutes and I'm very interested, there seems to be a lot of overlap between Hermatics and other spiritual/mindset materials I have consumed. Especially as someone who has read quite a bit on manifestation, and who's core spiritual beliefs derive from Buddhism and a little Hinduism. I LOVE the idea of the Principle of Vibration, I (somewhat) play Sitar, so I'm no stranger to the cosmos' relation to vibrations and music.

How did you land on your path to hermetics? It seems incredibly niche, did you have exposure to other spiritual values beforehand? Kind of hungry to learn more tbh.

I have my eyes on St John Climacus' "Ladder of Divine Ascent", St Isaac the Syrian's "Ascetical Homilies", and the five volumes of the Philokalia. I wanted to get all of it at once once the last volume of the Philokalia comes out in June, but with the extended lockdown I have no idea when I'll be able to order stuff from Amazon again...

I've been following a simplified prayer rule (just opening prayers + 100 Jesus Prayers + closing prayers, which takes about 25 minutes) and doing it every three hours, according to the Daily Office (so I add some prayers of the Hours as well). But staying up all night for the Sunday of Easter made me tired so I'm waiting until Monday to resume. It's still Easter (Bright Week) so I'm just relaxing and keeping the paschal troparion at the back of my head.

Sometime when I can I'll sit down and read the Book of Psalms, from the Orthodox Study Bible. But right now I've just finished reading Jean-Claude Larchet's "Therapeutic of Mental Illness", I'm in the middle of reading Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew's "Speaking the Truth in Love", and I'm about to read Father Marc-Antoine Costa de Beauregard's "Pray Like You Breathe" (recommended to me by my priest's wife). Obviously of all these things the Psalms are my priority, but I've been sitting down and reading each book of the Bible in one sitting, and based on the time it took me to read previous texts, reading the whole Psalter in one sitting might take me about 20 hours... I'm waiting to have a day where I can wake up at 3am so I can take care of that. Incidentally this is one reason I've been praying at the time of the Hours - to keep myself constantly mindful in spite of being tired, and to get used to going to sleep after Compline at 9pm, getting up once at midnight for the Midnight Office, and getting up for real at 3am for Matins.

You seem like a very devout Christian. I've had very little exposure to Christianity (although I have attended several pastor talks and as part of the spirituality group I attend weekly we do the Lord's Prayer every week), so after I have finished reading the Bhagavad Gita, I hope to move on to one of the Testament's. This way I get to consume a rich variety of material and add to my core values and knowledge.

Phew, that was a long post, I've been here for an hour looking at all this great content you guys recommended, thank you!

Mar 10, 2018
So I have read most of the Power of Now which I quite liked, but none of his other works. Are they just as good?
I honestly can't really judge how you'll respond to them, seeing as how every person responds differently to spiritual texts. For me personally, Practicing the Power of Now yields the most positive effects in my day to day life. But if you're familiar with The Power of Now, and it works for you, I'm not sure if you'll really need it, since it contains nothing that The Power of Now doesn't.

But out of all his works, I would say A New Earth is essential reading. Tolle's writing is much more refined and mature in this book than in The Power of Now, and he even delves a bit into his own personal past, which he doesn't do in The Power of Now. One of the book's functions is to accelerate the transformative process brought about by reading The Power of Now or other spiritual texts, so it could be of great benefit to you to read it.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I've mainly been into "nonduality" lately, although that term means so many different things these days.

Have really enjoyed "What is Wrong With Right Now? Unless You Think About it?" by Sailor Bob Adamson. The book is mainly in a Q&A style where Bob constantly points back to what is, makes no room concepts.

I have especially been loving John Wheeler's books. He was a student of Bob Adamson and is just crystal clear in his communication, always pointing back to direct expereince. John doesn't teach anymore and his books are expensive as hell because of it, but there are PDF's floating around of a few of his books.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

https://www.foragingforfreedom.com/...es-Trismegistus-and-the-7-Hermetic-Principles

Hmm that's pretty interesting in that these are principles that you find explained in a lot of different philosophical or spiritual texts. Some are certainly things that are easily observed like the dendrites of the nervous system being a microcosm of the galaxy as a macrocosm, with things like trees, lung bronchioles, arteries -> capillaries, etc being a degree.

blue-root-illustration-png-clip-art-thumbnail.png
getimage.aspx
most-beautiful-trees-dragon-blood-trees-1000x675.jpg
1513665_orig.jpg

Good shout

On journeying into spiritual christianity

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
You seem like a very devout Christian. I've had very little exposure to Christianity (although I have attended several pastor talks and as part of the spirituality group I attend weekly we do the Lord's Prayer every week), so after I have finished reading the Bhagavad Gita, I hope to move on to one of the Testament's. This way I get to consume a rich variety of material and add to my core values and knowledge.
I wouldn't say I'm devout. I just need more tools to help me because I'm more lazy than some others. The amount of prayers one makes does not add or take away anything in itself. Some people reach illumination right at their baptism, some people reach illumination on their death bed.

If you do read the Bible later on:
If you want to know the basics of Christian doctrine, read the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). You won't understand much of what is said, but it'll give you the basics of the basics at least.
If you want to go straight to the more practical, spiritual stuff, read the books of wisdom: the Psalms (essentially the prayer book of Israel/the Church), Job (a poem about persistence through seemingly unjust suffering), Proverbs (a series of practical observations about behavior), Ecclesiastes (an essay on the ultimate "vaporous" quality of all things), Song of Songs (a somewhat NSFW poem about marriage, love and sex), the Wisdom of Solomon (a book that denounces the folly of what a pagan worldview thinks to be wisdom, and that asserts Judaism/Christianity as being the true wisdom that all men seek), and the Wisdom of Sirach (basically a practical guide on how to live a holy life).
Note that the books of the Bible were preserved and read mostly in the context of liturgy, for both Judaism and Christianity. As such, whether you seek to learn about Judaism or Christianity, you should read them in the context of that religion, because the plain text is rarely considered to be sufficient for understanding (in particular, Christianity sees many passages as being given the fullness of their meaning in light of Christ - so for example certain psalms that are plainly about physical warfare are interpreted by Christianity to be about spiritual warfare).

If you want a Bible with non-invasive commentary to guide your reading in the context of a certain religious tradition, I recommend:
- For Judaism: the Stone Tanach
- For Christianity: the Orthodox Study Bible

To go back to a more specifically Christian perspective: if you are interested in meditation, asceticism, etc. I really recommend the Ladder of Divine Ascent. It's a classic of Christian spirituality. Or, if you want something more easy to read, check out the Sayings of the Desert Fathers and Mothers (there's several edition).

Having said all this, an overall decent and simple introduction to Christian spirituality (and to Christianity in general) is "The Orthodox Way" by Timothy Ware (now Metropolitan Kallistos Ware). This is the table of contents, for anyone who's curious:
1) God as Mystery
2) God as Trinity
3) God as Creator
4) God as Man
5) God as Spirit
6) God as Prayer

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Learning to be mindful and have a positive mindset has been one of the biggest changes in my life. I used to be a very negative, angry, and cynical person. But as I've gotten older I've embraced positivity, living in the moment, the well being of my spirit/conscious, and generally not letting stuff get to me. Accepting myself, even if I've made mistakes. Accepting others, even if they may share some views I disagree with.

I'm not really a religious person, but I would say I'm a bit spiritual and have only become more so over time. It's hard for me to find happiness or solace in religion as a transgender woman, but I find great comfort in spirituality.

Mindfulness exercises in particular have been a real blessing. I've learned to be able to calm myself in the moment, and identify negative feelings (be they physical stress or mental thoughts) in the moment. This usually allows me to deal with problems pretty rationally and avoid the blow ups of anger and cynicism I had as a kid.

Keeping an eye on the book recommendations in this thread. I might see if the local library has some of them I can check out.

Mar 10, 2018
I guess I've mainly been into "nonduality" lately, although that term means so many different things these days.

Have really enjoyed "What is Wrong With Right Now? Unless You Think About it?" by Sailor Bob Adamson. The book is mainly in a Q&A style where Bob constantly points back to what is, makes no room concepts.

I have especially been loving John Wheeler's books. He was a student of Bob Adamson and is just crystal clear in his communication, always pointing back to direct expereince. John doesn't teach anymore and his books are expensive as hell because of it, but there are PDF's floating around of a few of his books.
I want to thank you for recommending these books. I just briefly read a preview of Adamson's What is Wrong with Right Now?, and already I'm experiencing a vast spaciousness in my mind and body, as I type this. It's never been like this before.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
If asceticism interests anyone, Father Peter Owen-Jones, an Anglican priest, did a series called "Extreme Pilgrim" where he looks into several religious traditions.
The first episode, on Buddhism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAk9c7V48yk
The second episode, on Hinduism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7P533M3D0
The third episode, on Christianity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VjU_505i6E
It's a bit disappointing since he obviously does not spend enough time in any of these traditions to fully comprehend and communicate the depth of each, but forr 3 hours of content it's not bad.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Edit: Maybe we can turn this thread into a little community for us spiritual folk on Era. 🙏🏽~

So I am a big believer in spirituality, and building a positive mindset. I like to read a lot of material based on these topics too.

i've noticed the lockdown has been getting to a lot of people around me, and I feel like the reason I am coping much better is through the years spent of spiritual practice and study.

This stuff really helps, anyone else share these Interests?
Report your op with the title youd like to change it to! <3

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I'm Christian, but that's a religion. Not sure if I...uh...fit in here?

I use my spirituality as a crutch when I no longer feel like I have control of over my life. It's helped me maintain sanity, and cope with some hard deaths lately.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I use my spirituality as a crutch when I no longer feel like I have control of over my life. It's helped me maintain sanity, and cope with some hard deaths lately.

Spirituality is definitely part of religion. So it would be accurate to say you do fit in this thread.

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't really judge how you'll respond to them, seeing as how every person responds differently to spiritual texts. For me personally, Practicing the Power of Now yields the most positive effects in my day to day life. But if you're familiar with The Power of Now, and it works for you, I'm not sure if you'll really need it, since it contains nothing that The Power of Now doesn't.

But out of all his works, I would say A New Earth is essential reading. Tolle's writing is much more refined and mature in this book than in The Power of Now, and he even delves a bit into his own personal past, which he doesn't do in The Power of Now. One of the book's functions is to accelerate the transformative process brought about by reading The Power of Now or other spiritual texts, so it could be of great benefit to you to read it.

Duly noted, thank you!

This is perfect, and worthy of a threadmark for anyone seeking to take a spiritual leap into christianity.

Learning to be mindful and have a positive mindset has been one of the biggest changes in my life. I used to be a very negative, angry, and cynical person. But as I've gotten older I've embraced positivity, living in the moment, the well being of my spirit/conscious, and generally not letting stuff get to me. Accepting myself, even if I've made mistakes. Accepting others, even if they may share some views I disagree with.

I'm not really a religious person, but I would say I'm a bit spiritual and have only become more so over time. It's hard for me to find happiness or solace in religion as a transgender woman, but I find great comfort in spirituality.

Mindfulness exercises in particular have been a real blessing. I've learned to be able to calm myself in the moment, and identify negative feelings (be they physical stress or mental thoughts) in the moment. This usually allows me to deal with problems pretty rationally and avoid the blow ups of anger and cynicism I had as a kid.

Keeping an eye on the book recommendations in this thread. I might see if the local library has some of them I can check out.

I enjoy hearing accounts like this in this thread because a lot of us who come into spirituality have followed a similar path, and it's quite an incredible thing that we may all be from different walks of life, but the deep connection we share with spirituality is so similar.

It's an incredibly powerful frame of mind to live your life in and I hope this thread can encourage others or give them the push they need to start their own journey.

I'm sorry to hear about that, truly. I hope their souls have found peace.

And absolutely, though it's true Religion and Spirituality have become more separated in the modern day, there is a lot of overlap in some of the core beliefs and teachings of many religions with spirituality.

Even going beyond that, anyone can fit in here. I don't believe in gating off these ideas and constructs to a particular group of people, especially if they believe in growing in wisdom, achieving a sense of balance in the universe or simply being their better self, so I hope anyone can come in here and feel comfortable sharing their thoughts, stories and even woes without fear of judgement or hatred. :)

Report your op with the title youd like to change it to! <3

Done and done, thank you!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Not that it's proof of anything, but I remember praying that if my dad had to go, if he couldn't win against the virus, that he would at least die quickly and painlessly.

When we got the call that his vitals began to drop (he was also in a medically induced coma), it wasn't but five minutes later, during a discussion about how to next tackle his condition, that he passed. I was heartbroken, but relieved in a way. A little grateful even.

Mar 10, 2018
Not that it's proof of anything, but I remember praying that if my dad had to go, if he couldn't win against the virus, that he would at least die quickly and painlessly.

When we got the call that his vitals began to drop (he was also in a medically induced coma), it wasn't but five minutes later, during a discussion about how to next tackle his condition, that he passed. I was heartbroken, but relieved in a way. A little grateful even.
That's moving, thanks for sharing. And I'm sorry for your loss.

No single religion or ideology has a monopoly on spirituality, so I think people of all faiths or lack thereof should be welcome here. Spirituality is about dealing with the suffering that comes with the human condition.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy hearing accounts like this in this thread because a lot of us who come into spirituality have followed a similar path, and it's quite an incredible thing that we may all be from different walks of life, but the deep connection we share with spirituality is so similar.

It's an incredibly powerful frame of mind to live your life in and I hope this thread can encourage others or give them the push they need to start their own journey.

It really changed my life to start thinking in this manner, honestly. Thinking about the mind, body, and spirit, and how they work. It's allowed me to see the good in everything that people do, even if they say or do actions that are bigoted, angry, or hateful. Just today, I met someone who shared an opinion I disagreed with. The past "me" would have been offended and averse or confrontational with them. The me of today does a few breathing exercises and thinks "Even if I disagree with it, so what? They like me as a person, and it doesn't change the fact that they hold that view." and "Perhaps maybe I can understand why they hold such a view..."

My family is Catholic, and some of them are devout believers. But I always found a disconnect with who I was, and with the religion itself. I could never reconcile the idea that a godlike being made me this way, and that he had some sort of divine plan for me, with all the tragedies that have happened in my life. Depression, suicide, abuse, gender dysphoria, and an assortment of other issues that aren't appropriate for this forum all plagued my life in some manner. "Why would such a kind and loving person subject me to this?", I thought. This made me turn away from religion and spirituality, and detest anything to do with either topic. I wanted nothing to do with an organization that, despite the presence of accepting individuals, overall hated my existence, and I wanted nothing to do with the spirituality that got caught up by association.

But as I discovered Mindfulness and began to recover from my depression, this started to change. I started to sort out my own thoughts. Understand where I stood on these positions and why I was there. I started to see the difference between organized religion and spirituality, and that despite not being religious, I was very much still a spiritual person deep down. There was no simply getting away from the fact that I believed in the idea of a spirit, and that a healthy spirit is a key to a healthy mind and body. As I noted earlier, this gave me a great deal of comfort that organized religion can't give me. I also gained a respect for those who believe and live by their beliefs, be they Catholic or any other religion. Getting away from my home and meeting people of different faiths, ethnicities, and beliefs really helped as well. That exposure to the world makes, quite literally, a world of difference.

I also gained an appreciation for religious arts that have spirituality to them. For example, lately I have been listening to a Christmas carol called Gaudete. While I do not believe Jesus was anything more than a mere man, I find comfort in the singing and the meaning of the lyrics. Another one (which has actually been out for awhile, but I've now started to appreciate for it's meaning instead of just being a pretty song) is Baba Yetu. The decision to set the song in Swahili is an unusual one, but gives it a flow that it wouldn't have in English as the Lord's Prayer. The "me" of the past would have never accepted this logic, but yet here we are...

Oct 25, 2017
I want to thank you for recommending these books. I just briefly read a preview of Adamson's What is Wrong with Right Now?, and already I'm experiencing a vast spaciousness in my mind and body, as I type this. It's never been like this before.
You're very welcome, they both point very clearly back to what is and it's so damn obvious it's often overlooked.

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017

So in light of my poor mental health in the previous few weeks I started reading Power of Now again (but properly this time). I have to say I'm absorbing his words a lot better this time round, maybe because my mental state is so applicable to so many of his words. What an absolutely incredible book. I can highly recommend it for anyone who has let their mind overpower them.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
More on the mindset side: Mindfulness in Plain English is the book that cleaned out my toolbox. Its pretty short and I reread it every few years.

Just a very simple guide to meditation and mindfulness, how to use it naturally every minute of the day. That sounds exhausting but it works for me.

Mar 10, 2018
So in light of my poor mental health in the previous few weeks I started reading Power of Now again (but properly this time). I have to say I'm absorbing his words a lot better this time round, maybe because my mental state is so applicable to so many of his words. What an absolutely incredible book. I can highly recommend it for anyone who has let their mind overpower them.
Awesome to hear, I'm glad it's working for you.

I've recently discovered Rupert Spira, and reading "Being Aware of Being Aware" really just made Eckhart Tolle's teachings... "click" for me. In my opinion he explains non-duality better than any other teacher I've come across.

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to hear, I'm glad it's working for you.

I've recently discovered Rupert Spira, and reading "Being Aware of Being Aware" really just made Eckhart Tolle's teachings... "click" for me. In my opinion he explains non-duality better than any other teacher I've come across.

Ordered :) Thank you! I'll post my thoughts once I've finished with both.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't realize Stoicism was a philosophy, but merely a way to describe someone. And here I am finding out that this has basically been my philosophy for a while now (something I've tried to strive towards).

Like Stories of Old might be my favourite analysis channel. The dude blends together philosophy and entertainment so well and his voice is really soothing. I particularly engaged a lot with his one on Arrival which I found very poignant.

edit: Part 2! So good.

Stoicism: stop letting people live in your head rent free

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I can recommend The Mind Illuminated. I haven't read it all as I'm no where near adept at meditation, still at the earliest stages but it seems like an amazing roadmap to follow. If you can be consistent with your practice!

Mar 10, 2018
Hello all, and happy New Year's! (Still New Year's Eve where I am)

I apologize if I'm going against the TOS for bumping a two-year old thread (mods please take the appropriate action), but I just wanted to come back here before the end of 2022, because I feel tremendous gratitude for this year and all the spiritual deepening I've undergone during it. It's been a long ~3 years since I've first discovered Being Aware of Being Aware back in Spring 2020, and just, looking back on it now, I feel I've come a long way. It almost feels like 2020-2021-2022 is just one, looong year. And it feels like that year is coming to an end now. It feels like we're entering a new arc. So I just came to check in. How's everyone doing? Also hello any newcomers!