• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This one is amazing too, specially the main theme which always fills me with energy in a couple of seconds. I´m very glad that such a game went with an OST with such personality instead of following the trend of AAA movie-like forgettable ambient music. BTW, I´ll leave this here for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bthei5ylvZ4&list=PLjHFECZ4fsiKPgroawUhCYPBPBG9JhA0d&index=7&t=0s
I've never seen this interview before, thanks for posting!

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It's definitely the best of the Souls games, primarily because of using the full resources that Sony provides (full orchestra, halls etc.).

Not sure about the best overall this gen but it's up there.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a significant amount of games imo. Kingdom Hearts, final fantasy, automata, persona 5, xenoblade chronicles, God of war, DMC5 etc etc

Didn't like the soundtrack in bloodborne at all and in my opinion was mediocre

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a significant amount of games imo. Kingdom Hearts, final fantasy, automata, persona 5, xenoblade chronicles, God of war, DMC5 etc etc

Didn't like the soundtrack in bloodborne at all and in my opinion was mediocre
Not gonna argue the other games but Kingdom Hearts 3 was pretty disappointing. Maybe up to three of them were fine but the rest were very mediocre remixes.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I love Bloodborne for many reasons, but the soundtrack is not one of them. It's really hard to get attached to a soundtrack when you only hear the songs ome per play through.

Although I've played a good 150-200 hours of BB I could not hum you one piece of music from it. I even find the Hunters Dream to be the least memorable FS hub music.

For me there are many better soundtracks from this generation with Nier Automata being the clear stand out.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Not gonna argue the other games but Kingdom Hearts 3 was pretty disappointing. Maybe up to three of them were fine but the rest were very mediocre remixes.
For real, KH3's soundtrack was super meh outside of a couple of notable tracks. The best KH music thing that came out this year was RoboRob's Kingdom Heartbeats EDM remix album.

PS. Doom is still the best OST this gen ;)

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 has it for me. Fits the style and scenarios really, really well on top of being filled with loads of catchy songs. Super consistent too, with only Mementos standing out as bleh.

I feel like a lot of game OSTs have a handful of songs that stand out but taken as a whole a lot of it can blend together. A game avoiding that will always speak to me more.

Jun 2, 2019
Thia gen has been so long, and has spawn so many games with awesome soundtracks, that giving the title of absolute ost to one single game feels shortsighted and silly.

Just on the Nintendo side we have seen the likes of Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Odissey, Breath of the Wild, Mario x Rabbids, Donkey Kong TF... The list is long

And then outside of Nintendo... Well, the line blurries for me since i have been playing on PC and mixing gens, but I can think of Celeste, Hollow Knight, Doom, Soul Calibur 6, Ace Combat 7, Undertale... And a really long etc.

This has been a great Gen musically speaking, don't limit it to one single. Game

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've never really cared for From Software's brand of loud, overpowering, melodramatic orchestral work accompanied by the same one-note "haunting" chorus every time. Their Soulsborne soundtracks all blend together for me, nothing sticks out.

I don't music taste is something that one "proves wrong", but these are some of my favorites of this generation:

Shovel Knight

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
www.youtube.com

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Soundtrack - Busted Bayou

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU) (Nintendo)Song: Busted BayouComposer: David Wise, Kenji YamamotoYear: 2014Donkey Kong and Characters/Music are Pr...

Destiny

Hyper Light Drifter
youtu.be

Panacea - Hyper Light Drifter OST

Purchase the soundtrack here:http://music.disasterpeace.com/album/hyper-light-drifterHyper Light Drifter is an amazing game and you should definitely check i...

Hotline Miami 2

Undertale

Ori and the Blind Forest

Nier Automata

Cosmic Star Heroine

Celeste
www.youtube.com

[Official] Celeste Original Soundtrack - 02 - First Steps

🍓 Celeste Original Soundtrack 🍓Purchase: https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-original-soundtrackWritten, performed & mastered by Lena Raine...

Tetris Effect

Street Fighter V

Persona 5

Ace Combat 7
www.youtube.com

"Daredevil" - Ace Combat 7

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/IgorL26 Track that plays in the final phase of mission 19, when you are engaging the Arsenal Bird.Composer: Keiki Kobayashi S...

My singular absolute favorite? That's a hard one. I think Marty's work on Destiny is genuinely incredible, so potentially that one.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Man, I love Souls/BB, but to me, I barely register that those games even have soundtracks. It's all just orchestral boss music, and even if some tracks are better than others, I don't feel like anything sticks out in a memorable way.

Now, my personal picks for best soundtrack this gen would be:
  • Any Danganronpa game (I didn't read the entire thread but please tell me I'm not the first one to mention Danganronpa)
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Undertale/Deltarune
  • Fire Emblem: Fates (does this still count as this gen?)
  • Sonic Mania
  • Nier Automata
EDIT: I read the thread; y'all need to play Danganronpa, seriously

Last edited:

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maria, Ludwig and Laurence tracks easily share the top spots with Nier Automata and FFXIV. And that's saying something.

Man, I love Souls/BB, but to me, I barely even register that those games even have soundtracks. It's all just orchestral boss music, and even if some tracks are better than others, I don't feel like anything sticks out in a memorable way.
Listen Laurence's track with your ears.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i love Bloodborne but the soundtrack wasn't a reason why. It wasn't bad but i'm sitting here right now struggling to even remind myself of it.

there are loads of games with a memorable soundtrack. many have already been said but for me: Witcher 3, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Cuphead, Doom, Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2...just to name a few.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I liked NieR Automata but it pales in comparison to NieR's.

It's good, but it also got really repetitive really fast. And a few of the tracks felt kind of run of the mill to me.

Bloodborne is just as good.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Lots of them:

-Fire Emblem 3 houses
-Disco Elysium
-Pillars 2
-Smash Bros Ultimate
-Dark Souls III
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Nier Automata
-Persona 5
-Breath of the Wild
-Tropical Freeze
-Bayonetta 2

And a long list of games I could list too, BB's OST is good to make the bossfights feel more intense, but it's not that memorable and IMO Dark Souls III does the same a lot better. And I like BB's OST, but besides Gascoigne, the Clerical Beast, Ludwig's themes, I don't remember any other song. It was worse in Sekiro, that's for sure, maybe the main thing BB and DkS III do better than Sekiro is the OST.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if this counts, but Riot Games have been consistently great with both in game, universe and supplementary musical production this decade.

Get yourselves on to Spotify and have a blast.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is great in-game but not something I can listen to on my own time

Octopath, Nier, FF XV and Persona 5 however, are THE rotation

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, nah, it's Nier for me. Would even put FFXIV over BloodBorne as well.

BB is still up there somewhere. It might be top 10.

Jul 24, 2018
Persona 5 and Yakuza 0, I listen to former so much outside of playing the game. That pretty signifies why no other game soundtrack can match it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne has a few standout tracks, which is great, but not best of the generation.

The Life Is Strange games are full of terrific tunes, licensed and original.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Persona 5 and Yakuza 0, I listen to former so much outside of playing the game. That pretty signifies why no other game soundtrack can match it.
Huh, Yakuza 0 is a good shout I completely forgot about it! P5 is definitely in my top 3 listened to OST's even if I wasn't as in love with the game as much as some others. My other 2 most listened according to Spotify (and Plex) are Doom and Pyre (though I've probably listened to Bastion and Transistor just as much because I <3 Darren Korb).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
Huh, Yakuza 0 is a good shout I completely forgot about it! P5 is definitely in my top 3 listened to OST's even if I wasn't as in love with the game as much as some other. My other 2 most listened according to Spotify (and Plex) are Doom and Pyre (though I've probably listened to Bastion and Transistor just as much because I <3 Darren Korb).
Lots of good tracks from 0.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
BB has some of the best gameplay, art design & level design (pre Rom) this gen, but it's music was just good, a couple of strong tracks but mostly what we expect from From.
There is many more stand outs this gen in the music department, even Undertale if you want to count that.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I actually prefer the Dark Souls 3 soundtrack, if we're confining ourselves to FROM games.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Listen Laurence's track with your ears.
I heard it for like at least an hour while fighting Laurence and I listened to it again just before when reading this thread, and I don't remember it at all. Yet I remember Rivers in the Desert, Possessed by a Disease, End of All or any Undertale track with perfect clarify. So sorry, clearly didn't have the same experience here lol.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Staying in the FromSoft games, I think Dark Souls III's soundtrack is better. That Menu Theme is pure magic. Gets you hyped instantly....... Before dying 30 times in a row.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not a fan of Bloodborne's OST. The game has so many incredible bosses, but they are pretty much never matched with memorable songs. Orphan of Kos and Ebrietas are two of my favorite boss fights of any game and I struggled against both for hours but I still can't even remotely remember what the music was like during the fights. That's awful. Those two deserve better. Even after googling the music I have no recollection of ever hearing it, despite the fact that those fights are some of the most memorable things I've played this gen (and, again, despite the fact that I spent hours on them). The same goes for pretty much every boss fight. The only one where I still remember the music is Ludwig and that's entirely because of that awesome stage 2 transition.

When I compare that to something like FFXIV, where even mechanically thrash-tier fights that die in a couple of minutes are often accompanied by incredible music that instantly makes them memorable it makes me feel like Bloodborne's OST was its weakest point.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Please, listen to the Soul Sacrifice's OST.

It is the most underated OST of the decade.
Very similar to the dark orchestral tone of the souls series.