• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
maxresdefault.jpg

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
-One of the Lost Vikings
-Chief Thunder
-One of the Battletoads
-Nathan Spencer
-Kunio
-Conrad B. Hart
-The Prince of Persia
-Bomberman
-Turrican
-Umihara

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I think there are a bunch of oddball choices I would be left speechless at, but I am genuinely struggling to think of a rep that would make me as hype as Banjo or as shocked as Sephiroth at this point.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Sora because dealing with Disney must be a nightmare and honestly I don't think we're getting another Square Enix rep.

Also the Dragonborn from Skyrim would be unexpected.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sora because dealing with Disney must be a nightmare and honestly I don't think we're getting another Square Enix rep.

Also the Dragonborn from Skyrim would be unexpected.
To be fair, Sora isn't actually a Square Enix character (they hold no ownership over the character). He's 100% Disney. But as you said, Disney is the problem.

Feb 24, 2018
Of video game characters:

1. Pong or a Space Invader, be surprised if this ever happened.
2. A Valve character like Chell, the Heavy of Gordon Freeman
3. An EA character like a Bioware one.
4. Sora because of Disney's ownership of the character, I know their a top pick but so much is going against Sora it would be shocking
5. And related to Sora but even further then that, Darth Revan:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
To shock me, it'd have to be someone I didn't expect at all. So far, that's really only been Terry Bogard, as I don't really think of any significant history with SNK and Nintendo outside of ports. In fact, Mii costumes have shocked me more than fighters, as I didn't expect Fallout, Cuphead, or Undertale to get any representation at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Bomberman. He is both an assist trophy and deluxe mii costume. Sakurai clearly wanted him in but for whatever reason couldn't. He is objectively the biggest missing third party character as far as appearance on Nintendo consoles go. I see him as the big 4 along with Sonic, Pac Man and Mega Man, both in relevance to Nintendo and aesthetically.

Sakurai has clearly given us all the Bomberman he can this time around, so I will be legitimately shocked and over the fucking moon if he makes it.

TROP030.PNG

Nov 1, 2017
Mine is Master Chief or any Sony owned character. Allow me to explain:

So far every third party fighter that has ever existed in Smash has had some sort of connection to Nintendo games or hardware, despite it sometimes seemingly only tangentially related. Sonic and Snake were the first two surprise additions to Smash, but both of those characters had games appear on Nintendo hardware prior to them being added to Brawl. Snake may be mostly famous for the Metal Gear Solid series but Metal Gear 1 and 2 were NES games and Sonic first came to Nintendo hardware on the Gamecube with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. EDIT: And Sonic Advance on the GBA. Which apparently both came out on the same day in Japan?

And so it goes with every third party character since. Even if it doesn't seem that way they've all had some prior connection to the Nintendo brand. I would say the character that made a lot of people think "Wow, there are no rules" was Cloud, and technically this is an outlier seeing as (at the time at least) FF7 had never appeared on a Nintendo system. But even Cloud sort of tracks because if you take the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole obviously it has a very strong connection to Nintendo and Cloud himself was also appearing in spinoff games that were heading to Nintendo hardware so it's a vague connection, but it's still there.

Master Chief is something a bit different though. No officially released Halo games, there was a cancelled Halo DS game but I think it's fair to say that doesn't count. He's a third party character with no real ties to Nintendo hardware at all. As far as i'm aware the only thing you could grasp onto is that you can use Master Chief skins in Minecraft on a Nintendo system but that is some flimsy justification if ever there was one. So yeah, Master Chief would be my pick, or basically any Sony character for basically the same reason.

I don't think Master Chief will make it to Smash though. 3 Microsoft characters seems like overkill, he's a gun heavy FPS character which i don't think lends itself well to Smash and even if something like that would be viable Doom Slayer just makes so much more sense to fill that kind of slot.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprise Sora was first...Sora can get in if Disney wants him too. I won't be surprised if he gets in. I won't be surprised if he doesn't get in. This whole "omg it's so hard for Sora to get in" is a fantasy

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A Dragalia Lost character would shock me, in a good way
#Mymforsmash

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief is something a bit different though. No officially released Halo games, there was a cancelled Halo DS game but I think it's fair to say that doesn't count. He's a third party character with no real ties to Nintendo hardware at all. As far as i'm aware the only thing you could grasp onto is that you can use Master Chief skins in Minecraft on a Nintendo system but that is some flimsy justification if ever there was one. So yeah, Master Chief would be my pick, or basically any Sony character for basically the same reason.

He's also in Fortnite (as is Kratos)

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Sora because of the licensing deals or a Sony first-party character.

Everything else at this point feels fair game.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
at this point the only thing that would surprise me is something like a touhou character. i feel like a fate character wouldn't even be THAT far fetched at this point

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sony characters
Tetrimino
And Indie rep that is not a mii costume

And any not exactly videogame characters that should be in smash, like a Hanafuda Deck or Captain N The Game Master

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Bomberman. He is both an assist trophy and deluxe mii costume. Sakurai clearly wanted him in but for whatever reason couldn't. He is objectively the biggest missing third party character as far as appearance on Nintendo consoles go. I see him as the big 4 along with Sonic, Pac Man and Mega Man, both in relevance to Nintendo and aesthetically.

Sakurai has clearly given us all the Bomberman he can this time around, so I will be legitimately shocked and over the fucking moon if he makes it.

TROP030.PNG
Bomberman feels like such a natural fit it kills me that he ain't a real character.

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm hoping he'll end it with another Fire Emblem character. Oh, the salt, so delicious!

Tracer or Master Chief would be my super excited and slightly confused "wait, what?!" pick. But even if less "shocking", personally I'm most hoping for Isaac or Impa.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much Sora / Sony Rep for me too.

I love this game, I'm very happy with the roster so far.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The ones I actually want would shock me because most of them are from more obscure Nintendo franchises which sadly wouldn't sell. So any that we do get are just par for the course garbage third party picks for the most part.