• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying all the Souls games ever since I beat the Demon's Souls remake and am currently halfway through Dark Souls 3. While I'm not actively doing most of the NPC quests, my playthroughs have sparked memories of when I did do them and holy shit they're depressing. Everyone either dies, goes Hollow and therefore is killed by you, or they end up very depressed. I'm not counting NPCs like Yuria the Witch or Patches of course. A lot of NPCs like those just kinda stick around forever without much of a quest line to follow. As for the others, I struggle to think of a single character who gets a happy ending even if they somehow survive.

I'm gonna pour one out for the Catarina boys Eileen, Ostrava, and Biorr.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Creighton or Pate, depending on who you help.

So mostly Creighton because why would you help Pate.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Solaire's still haunts me. I wasn't even fighting him at first out of shock, horror, and not wanting to kill him. Came out of nowhere too.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Counting Bloodborne,
Alfred dies pretty pleased as punch with himself, even though he's ignorant about the immortality of the Vilebloods so he just wasted his time.

But good for him tho, he's my favorite NPC in every Souls game.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
What about Hawkeye Gough? He seems pleased after you beat Kalameet, and it doesn't really end on a sour note or anything. I mean I guess he's probably still sad about Artorias, but even then, he's glad you put him to rest.

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
The ending to Solaire's questline where he helps you fight Gwyn at the end

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about Hawkeye Gough? He seems pleased after you beat Kalameet, and it doesn't really end on a sour note or anything. I mean I guess he's probably still sad about Artorias, but even then, he's glad you put him to rest.

I wouldn't really count that as a questline though. It's like two steps lol.

Dark Souls 3's firekeeper if you grant her eyes and follow through.
Bloodborne's Iosefka.
Isn't Iosefka murdered by fake Iosefka and then fake Iosefka becomes some fucking alien tentacle thing thing? Lol.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Quelana, sort of. If you follow through on her favor, it seems to bring her some degree of peace.

In Bloodborne, if you save as many as you can and guide them to the church instead of the clinic, the blind guy in the church thanks you for granting his wish to help people.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How did wotshisface in Dark Souls II with the Moonlight Greatsword end up? Don't think I ever finished his questline.

Oct 28, 2017
Greyrat in Dark Souls 3 maybe, if you deny him going to Lothric castle.

But honestly? No.
World is fucked in any case in any Souls game.

I wondered the same thing occasionally.

Sidenote: I love the "world without fire" ending in DS3, "Tiny little flames, dance across the darkness"
I think it's the most hopeful ending a souls game ever had.

J-Soul

Nov 11, 2020
SSWh1Nl.jpg

Ahhh… ohh!
The Lordvessel is satiated…
Magnificent… You are the righteous successor to Gwyn, the new Great Lord.
And I am Kingseeker no more…
Your acquaintance was an honour.
I must admit, I am fond of you humans.
May you enjoy serendipity,
And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Does it count as happy if you let some of the shrine killers get away with their kills? I'm sure they'd be happy knowing they completed their task of killing everyone at home base.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really horrible happens to Dusk after you save her in the Dark Souls 1 DLC, so I guess that's a happy ending?

Pretty much every other NPC with a questline dies or is at least sad though in that game.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
He doesn't really have a quest line. He sort of just appears every so often to talk to and then just stops appearing. DS2 wasn't really good with NPC quests.
This is a bit off topic but I don't really agree that it's bad. Benhart is memorable and adds colour to the experience, even if you need to do anything specifically to help him. And you can summon him for the final boss - does that count as disappearing? Even if it's simple I much prefer it over DS3's style of NPC quests which require convoluted steps that you would not likely figure without a guide, like finding Seigward in the well in an area you've already been and have no reason to go back to.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit off topic but I don't really agree that it's bad. Benhart is memorable and adds colour to the experience, even if you need to do anything specifically to help him. And you can summon him for the final boss - does that count as disappearing? Even if it's simple I much prefer it over DS3's style of NPC quests which require convoluted steps that you would not likely figure without a guide, like finding Seigward in the well in an area you've already been and have no reason to go back to.
I hated this particular part of that quest so much because I have never once found Patches in the Cathedral in my 4 or so playthroughs.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
He dies and she cries for him. The end.

Depends on how you handle the last step of the questline. Two of the three possible paths lead to his death. The one where he survives makes him realize he is in over his head and he returns home. Dunno if that counts as "happy" but at least he lives.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how you handle the last step of the questline. Two of the three possible paths lead to his death. The one where he survives makes him realize he is in over his head and he returns home. Dunno if that counts as "happy" but at least he lives.
Oh I remember that one. I think I never did it because you don't get the Titanite Slab. He still becomes sad though. People either die or they stay sad forever.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Creighton or Pate, depending on who you help.

So mostly Creighton because why would you help Pate.

Actually nope, because...

He lives long enough to become one of Rosaria's Fingers in DSIII and you murk him there. So it sucks to be Creighton also (and highly implies that canonically he kills Pate back in II).

Siris's is sad, but she becomes your ally and has renewed purpose at the end.

Also nope because...

She dies at the end of her questline, going to her granddad's grave and dying there peacefully as all Unkindled that aren't you are on borrowed time. You could argue it's happy because she did what she set out to do, but it sure isn't the standard kind of happy.

Shalquoir in II I think just gets to live as a happy immortal cat though, so she's one.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
If you get the "good" ending for Solaire where he joins you for the final boss is implied to be happy. He gets what he wants, his own sun, to become grossly incandescent ect.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Irina of Cairm if you buy all the light miracles from her becomes a Fire Keeper that she always wanted to be.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Irina of Carim becoming a fire keeper is a decent ending kinda. Lapp getting back his memories and becoming Patches is also a good ending for him. He even helps you fight Halflight

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I would say Benhart and Lucatiel from Dark Souls II. Benhart decides to chill inside a constantly looping memory of battle and carnage, and that seems like his vibe so good for him. Plus, you can summon him for the final boss and one of the major DLC bosses, so he's still ticking and has agency in helping the player.

Lucatiel's ending initially seems grim, but it's mostly ambiguous. Plus, she can be summoned for the very final DLC boss fight, which I love. There's so formal writing or storytelling there, but to me out implies a lot of strength, camaraderie, and reassurance with how Lucatiel ends up.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Eileen if you do her quest. She survives and gives you her role as hoonter of hoonters. That's as happy as it gets for BB though.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Counting Bloodborne,
Alfred dies pretty pleased as punch with himself, even though he's ignorant about the immortality of the Vilebloods so he just wasted his time.

But good for him tho, he's my favorite NPC in every Souls game.
He knows

He just doesn't know you can restore her.

"Master, look! I've done it, I've done it! I smashed and pounded and grounded this rotten siren into fleshy pink pulp!"

"There, you filthy monstrosity! What good's your immortality now! Try stirring up trouble in this sorry state! All mangled and twisted, with every inside on the outside, for all the world to see! He heh hah hah Hah! He heh heh ha ha ha ha!"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not an elaborate quest chain, but Quelana's fate is pretty harmless. And in DS3 we can even see she reconnected with the Fair Lady. How nice.

Navlaan in DS2 also seemed pretty content by Dark Souls measures once you fulfilled his requests.

Solaire becoming the worm in DS3.

No way. He became became a magnificent chef, renowned in all of Lothric for his soup.

Last edited:

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
If you include Sekiro:

It's possible for one of the Pot Nobles to fulfill their dream of turning into a Carp.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Irina of Cairm if you buy all the light miracles from her becomes a Fire Keeper that she always wanted to be.
Oh yeah. But then poor douchebag Egyon kills himself or something.

I'd say Eileen if you do her quest. She survives and gives you her role as hoonter of hoonters. That's as happy as it gets for BB though.
Wait she survives? I thought it was implied that she succumbs to her injuries.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. But then poor douchebag Egyon kills himself or something.

Wait she survives? I thought it was implied that she succumbs to her injuries.
lol?

Iosefka, the real one, is one of the rare, genuinely good characters who gets done completely dirty. She gets murdered/transformed into a blob by an impostor, FFS.

If you mean the fake one... nah, not really.

Oh, my sweet summer child...
Are you sure about that?
Nothing implies she died.

Edit: In fact, her dialogue tells us she is not going to die. Now if you decide to make your own canon and not listen to what she say, you do you.