• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
I have a four year old daughter and she was diagnosed with autism. She has delayed language; she knows most individual words but doesn't form sentences, and she has troubles following complex instructions.

She used to like watching me play videogames (mostly Switch in portable mode in the bed). But now she started playing. A perfect game for her was Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the smart steering feature. She just pressed A to accelerate and she only had to worry about using items. She then started to steer by her own but mostly to explore and see the backgrounds.

And now she began to play Link's Awakening. She only moves Link around the main town and into the beach (but she always gets killed by the red octopi). But she just love to walk around the small town.

Is there a game with very simple controls (for example no camera controls) where she could just walk and explore? Any recommendations?

tahEW9Dl.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
most of those that fit the bill are adult/teen-oriented walking sims (firewatch, gone home, what remains of edith finch) and horror games.

only thing I can think of is maybe stuff like Gris or Wandersong?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't fired it up yet but I'm hoping my 3.5 year old can do just that in Untitled Goose Game

Edit: I know there are objectives and mechanics, I mean simply using the em a analog stick to walk as a goose could be simple amd fun

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Seems like a sweet kid, OP! Doesn't Minecraft have creative mode or peaceful difficulty on switch? I think that would be perfect if the first person view isn't too hard. I feel like she could still just walk around without having to turn!

Keep on being a good dad :)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Let's Go

The game is very cute too. There is a demo in the eshop so no harm in trying it ;)

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Mario Kart Tour has lots of the same supports that Mario Kart 8 has. That could be a good one to keep on the phone for moments when you're out and about. Thinking about it, doesn't the Labo vehicle game have kind of a free-explore mode?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You miiiiiight want to try Pokemon Let's Go. I think there's a demo version.

I'm also half-tempted to suggest Sonic Forces but that game has a strange difficulty curve and isn't exploration-focused at all.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's really too bad Stardew Valley has the time restriction, I'd think that would be a good game. I don't think there'd be any real limitations beyond that, right?

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Check out Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. I haven't it played it but it always looked like a very relaxed pace game.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
You could try a 2d Mario like U DX or Mario 1 or 3 + World on NSO. Odyssey is also decent for running around in but if it's cameral controls that make it difficult for her she will probably experience the same thing as BOTW with Odyssey.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
You might want to check out Yonders? I'm not sure about the camera controls since it is a third person game but afaik there's no combat or death... It's purely exploration

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
The Labo Vehicle kit is literally just a game where you drive around and explore. There's little missions you can do as well, but as far as I know you can explore everywhere regardless.

You might have to build the stuff for her to use, but it fits the bill.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Firewatch could be good gameplay... except it's not for kids, narratively speaking. Maybe when she's older. There will soon be 2 Pokemon games so that's a good place to start.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Also, regarding Let's Go, you can join her party at any time and help her out.

I remember a touching article about a journalist bonding with his kid through this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles might be a good fit. It's an open world game with no combat. it's exploration, befriending animals, and farming. Also rated E for everyone.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Check out the game Everything. It's basically just walking around a giant world as different characters, with no real stakes or goal.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
With Pokemon don't you have to talk to people to progress, and aren't you forced into random battles? Doesn't sound like she could just run around and explore.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe if you start up a game of Dragon Quest Builders, and play through all the introductory stuff for her. From there she can walk around freely and the enemies are not very aggressive, so they can be avoided. The camera behaves itself pretty well, and we can get around exploring with just a jump button.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Possibly:

Abzu - although the swimmer can be a little convoluted to move around.
Untitled Goose Game - you can pretty much fart about without actually needing to beat objectives.

I'm sure there is an "experience game" where you basically just walk about in pretty colours. I'll look for the name.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe the new Yoshi game on mellow mode :

There is a free demo available on the eshop.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Untitled Goose Game is a recent release and sounds right up your descriptor. You can walk around and do nothing if you want, and you can unlock areas for her so she can just explore to her heart's content. The camera controls on it's own and will automatically follow her, you can zoom out with a button but it's completely unnecessary to play the game the way she would play it.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I actually purchased Untitled Goose Game on release date but haven't fired it up yet. Sounds like a good option too. Just need to open new areas so she can freely explore.

Oct 27, 2017
You might try Pikuniku. It's a very simple indie game with cute art style. You wander around helping people, without fighting enemies. It also includes a multiplayer mode which is more puzzle-focused.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft might be a good one.
  • You can disable enemies, fires, & explosions
  • You can hide the hud
  • There is an auto jump as well
  • You can remove keybindings so she doesn't have to deal with crafting or inventory
  • You can download different worlds people have created for her to explore.

The issue is, there are camera controls.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think Pokemon Let's Go is a nice one, there's no wild battles in this game.

tumblr_inline_pcyjjp2WyF1qh5tvf_540.gif

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Ody? Breath of the Wild's Hateno Village?

Mario Odyssey has an assist mode which shows you where to go and gives you a lot of health and rescues you from falls. My 5 year old plays it, but still needs help with lots of areas.

I don't think she could advance too far, but if you open up the cascade and sand kingdom and wooded kingdom there are lots of places to just run around and jump. She'll take damage and fall off the side a bit but I think the assist mode just occasionally auto generates health.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
My Time At Portia (a sim like game like Animal Crossing but w/ people) but that game looks like it requires a lot of reading. Maybe you could play it with her.