• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Most of them, imo.

I would do a bizarro thread, "is there an original that makes the remake pointless" or something*, because I think they're rarer.

* Stupid logic when phrased like that, I know

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Heartgold and Soulsilver.
Not just great remakes but the best pokemon games in general.
Its a shame the series ended there though, we never got to see them move to ambitious 3D.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Heartgold and Soulsilver.
Not just great remakes but the best pokemon games in general.
Its a shame the series ended there though, we never got to see them move to ambitious 3D.
It's sad the direction the series decided to take starting with the 3ds games, i remember being super excited over the thought of finally getting a mainline Pokémon game in 3D when X and Y got announced.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The original game will always have value (not simply monetary, mind) just by the virtue of being the original game which had an impact in the first place.
So the entire premise is impossible, unless a remake somehow figures out how to apply itself retroactively to the original release, by traveling through time. And even then it would be doing damage, not good.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
The original game will always have value (not simply monetary, mind) just by the virtue of being the original game which had an impact in the first place.
So the entire premise is impossible, unless a remake somehow figures out how to apply itself retroactively to the original release, by traveling through time. And even then it would be doing damage, not good.
I don't think the purpose of the thread is to replace older games with the shiny remake per se. More to highlight how rare it is that a remake does good on recreating what made the original great to the point it could be recommendable as an alternative for the experience it brings.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition looks beautiful and now runs great after some patching. I tried the original (well, HD) version and it's very hard to go back to. Also they rerecorded the dialogue so the accents are no longer absurdly terrible.

Also I'd say Binding of Isaac Rebirth as the original game had chronic performance issues due to running in Flash and didn't even have native controller support. The remake adds so much extra content before you take into account the DLC and custom mods. Also Steam workshop support so you can finally get a plugin that tells you what the items do without having to tab out to a Wiki!

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
ru3wRUm.jpg

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The claims of Final Fantasy 1 being made obsolete by Dawn of Souls / the PSP versions bother me.

Not only because Dawn of Souls plays differently, but also because it's trivially easy. The original FF1 was pretty ruthless in its difficulty necessitating a lot of grinding and planning for the harder dungeons like the Marsh cave. Whether all that grinding is good or bad is debatable, but it's certainly quite a different experience when you can just mash attack through a game that used to instill terror in the hearts of 11 years olds back in 1990.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Which means the original still has merit, otherwise they wouldn't bother to include it.
Well, yeah, that's kind of the point of my post, haha.

I think the original version of any game that is remade has some value. However when the original version is put in the remake, then there's less reasons to buy the original over the remake.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
FF7R is a full game mate.

I know you're playing stupid when you list the game FFVIIR, and intentionally ignore what remake means, then intentionally ignore That's a game only contains midgar when the original had many other locations, characters, and story elements that are not in the so-called remake.

"Mate"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know you're playing stupid when you list the game FFVIIR, and intentionally ignore what remake means, then intentionally ignore That's a game only contains midgar when the original had many other locations, characters, and story elements that are not in the so-called remake.

"Mate"
Try not to take offence by the word "mate", it's just chatty.

And no, I didn't play stupid. This is a full game. Like when they split the Hobbit into two movies, the first was a full movie.

This is a full game, it doesn't matter how you want to downplay it.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Persona 5 Royal has so many upgrades and fixes to the translation that it just makes the original completely useless and pointless. just play Royal. its the same price.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you explain why? Whats missing in the remake for your? Gameplay loop, camera distance?

Also, what is Bright doing with a Titans uniform?

1. I dislike the muddy art of the remake, as well as I do not find the changes to the gameplay enjoyabale. It helps that I enjoy the low poly look.

2. he a bad boi

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
1. I dislike the muddy art of the remake, as well as I do not find the changes to the gameplay enjoyabale. It helps that I enjoy the low poly look.

2. he a bad boi

1. Thanks, I figure that the actual aesthetics were probably involved.

For example, I prefer the Half Life 1 look over Black Mesa, and the original N64 OOT (on a CRT) over the more "rounded" 3DS version.

2. Gotta admit, that dark blue uniform looks good in everybody.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
224069-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-nintendo-3ds-front-cover.jpg

There's nothing the original does better than this version, although I have fond memories of waiting in line for the special gold cartridge edition of the original N64 version back in November of 1998.

That was back when you could go outside and wait in line for things.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
61rQ16b1x2L._SX342_.jpg

I'd argue that Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia makes going back to Gaiden pointless, especially since the map design is essentially 1:1.

I'm sure there's some super hardcore Fire Emblem fans out there who have some extremely particular thing they prefer about the original, but I'd imagine SoV is just strictly better for everyone else.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Streets Of Rage Remake, the Whitehead remakes of Sonic 1, 2, & CD. Sonic 3 AIR.

There might be some wiggle room on SoRR since there's cutscenes and extra gore, but mechanically, the original three games aren't needed with the remake.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Try not to take offence by the word "mate", it's just chatty.

And no, I didn't play stupid. This is a full game. Like when they split the Hobbit into two movies, the first was a full movie.

This is a full game, it doesn't matter how you want to downplay it.
it is a full game, but it's not a full remake. it can't make the original pointless when it's missing 80% of it

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019

There's nothing the original does better than this version, although I have fond memories of waiting in line for the special gold cartridge edition of the original N64 version back in November of 1998.

I prefer the original just because I like the bigger screen/controller.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it is a remake or a remaster or if there is even a difference between them anymore, but Quest for Glory 1 VGA made the original pointless. At least I have never heard anyone argue that people should play the EGA version instead. I would argue the same for the fan remake of the second game as well, but that one might be more debatable.

May 15, 2019

I don't care at all for the more cartoonish, overly brightened visuals and I think they actively remove a lot of the atmosphere the original had in certain darker parts.

fwnQG2u.jpg

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
Monkey Island Special Editions 1 & 2.

SEs let you toggle between the remake graphics with the original games with one button. Also allow for developer commentary with a button to get history on the games too while playing. The original games are 100% obsolete imo, unless you somehow prefer using floppy drives over digital download or modern storage methods.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the entire game, but Final Fantasy 7 Remake does make the accomplishments of the protagonists in the original pointless.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The Final Fantasy Tactics PSP remake is better in almost every way, and even the one way it isn't better (the dialogue) it's not worse, it's just different. It doesn't change the core gameplay loop, all it does is add more content and add lovely animated cinematics. I've played the playstation game all the way through tens of times, but if someone asks me which version to try I will always, without hesitation, suggest the PSP version.

Also, Square, if you're reading this, Final Fantasy Tactics Fifty Years War please.

Oct 27, 2017
More_Badass had a great thread on this subject, some time back (the Gamasutra article by Hamish Todd in his OP could be the one you have in mind): LTTP: Tomb Raider (1996) remains an innovative platformer and I wish there were more games like it [Sep 18, 2018]

Some older posts on the subject: one / two / three / four / five.

Always enjoy reading Semfry's takes on this subject, as well.
Thanks for the shout out. Yeah, I imagine we will never see that kind of platforming return, but I think a hybrid of analog movement for regular navigation and a grid mode for platforming could be interesting. Kind of like how Transistor blended real-time with semi-turn-based combat
Thanks. Even more goodies to read.

I think the Gamasutra was the one I was thinking of yes.

Sure thing! :) In relation to the "is it just nostalgia" debate, I just wanted to highlight one thing that More_Badass noted, in his OP:

I was still in the mood for more Tomb Raider after finishing Shadow and decided to check out the originals since I had never played them. I was deciding between the original and Anniversary but from watching comparison videos, Anniversary seemed too much like modern TR compared to the original. By that I mean the level design in Anniversary seemed more linear and obvious in the route you have to take, plus I didn't want to deal with more ledge grip QTEs

After five and a half hours, I'm currently up to level 5/St. Francis' Folly in Tomb Raider 1. I'm surprised by how fast I adjusted to TR1's controls. For one, the tank controls are much less...tanky than I expected. And I'm really liking how much control you have over movement. I totally get now what people were saying about the movement and jumping being grid-based. It sounded weird on paper but it is really intuitive in practice. It gives the platforming this technical structure that is unlike any other platformer I've ever played, the kind of methodical pacing that the Souls game crafted for its combat or a game like Duskers provided by having you control movement with command lines. As someone who has grown up playing N and Super Meat Boy, PoP: Sands of Time and Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider 1's approach to platforming feels utterly unique.

Platformers, both 2D and 3D, are primarily designed around being fast and fluid, where the movement is more about avoidance and traversal. In a game like Super Meat Boy or in Mario, the challenge doesn't come from how you will get through a gauntlet, but if you can and what route to take. The actual act of navigating that route becomes a matter of timing.

In Tomb Raider, the movement is the gameplay. Where you stand, when you jump, how high you jump are all tools in your toolset, and how you reach a place is not a fast and fluid act, but careful precise clambering that feels like the caution of maneuvering through deadly unknown tombs translated directly to the controls.

This Gamasutra article delves into the movement in detail here

The grid-based system feels like it is to typical platforming what turn-based design is to real-time combat, Much like how turn-based systems turns combat into a game of tactical positioning and balancing of numbers, the grid-based traversal turns what is usually automatic and fast and makes it precise and deliberate.

Now I want some modern games to attempt this grid-based movement system. I'm honestly surprised that there are no modern indie games that have attempted to create a spiritual successor to classic Tomb Raider's movement, considering so many other classic styles of gameplay have been revived. We've had resurrections of 90s shooters, 3D platformers, CRPGs, point-n-clicks, arcade racers, and so on.

I'm also reminded that Dark1x of Digital Foundry weighed in, on the third page of More_Badass's thread:

It really comes down to automated platforming versus one that requires patience and skill. It's a problem these specific types of games haven't really solved. I can understand why some folks might find the originals clunky but they require a lot from the player in order to succeed and simply climbing a tall structure can be quite thrilling once you get the hang of it. In the modern games, climbing is basically busy work - there is no skill involved and no real challenge. It's just empty space between puzzles and combat. I'd like to see some sort of middle-ground solution.

Incidentally, Dark1x also had some positive comments on Death Stranding's handling of movement and traversal (also in his DF videos, here and here):

Incorrect.

1) Walking simulator has typically been used as a pejorative in reference to games which are entirely narrative focused - interaction is kept to a minimum and you simply walk around experiencing the narrative. Thus the description has been poisoned even though it does fit this.

2) What's different here [in Death Stranding] is that the focus is on actual traversal in a way that we very rarely see. Most open world games can be tedious when it comes to walking from point A to B because there isn't much happening between those points. You CAN find things, but you can also just run straight most of the time. With Death Stranding, I was surprised by how engaging getting from one point to another truly is. You'll be asked to basically climb a mountain, cross a river or walk through a huge storm and actually getting there takes figuring out both in terms of equipment loadout and actually finding a path. It kind of reminds me of something like Jet Set Radio Future when you're dropped at the bottom of a large area and need to figure out how the heck to get to the top.

In other words, this is similar to the Mario 64 versus other collect-a-thon platform games. You collect star in Mario 64 but those stars are not what's interesting - it's the path you take to get there. Figuring out how to navigate a large level. It basically acts as an endpoint for each possible stage within a stage. In some ways, DS is similar to a game like this only on a larger scale.

This is tied to the online systems, which allows the community playing to basically populate the world with traversal objects such as ladders and ropes, and the physicalization of the inventory. That last one is especially unique in that most games virtualize the inventory - you may have to arrange objects, but those objects aren't always physically represented. The need to choose how and what you carry has a huge impact on the experience as not planning well can leave you in a difficult spot.

So while it's not entirely NEW, per se, there are a lot of unique elements and it's an interesting game as a result. It's much more creative and different than most titles being released as of late, that's for sure.

The Guitar Hero reference in the Bunnyhop video ("...my eyeballs are visually processing a chronological flow of gameplay information that looks like a completely natural and organic landscape...") is also pretty interesting.

In any hybrid grid mode, I imagine that enhancing the 'readability' of a more geometrically-complex, organic environment might be part of the challenge. Death Stranding has an interesting approach:

[...]I imagine we will never see that kind of platforming return, but I think a hybrid of analog movement for regular navigation and a grid mode for platforming could be interesting. Kind of like how Transistor blended real-time with semi-turn-based combat [...]
Richard Moss: ...The grid [in Classic TR] meant that players would always know that if they jumped forward, backward, or sideways from a standing start, they would finish exactly one block [one unit] away. Likewise, three steps forwards or backward were equal to the length of one block [one unit], as was hopping backwards, while a running jump took three steps to prepare and traveled a distance of two blocks [two units] forward. And you knew that you could execute a running jump, without fail, by walking to the edge of a block, hopping back, running, and jumping...
lifeandtimes.games

How Tomb Raider's grid-based level editor shaped the early series' design and identity (part 1) | The Life & Times of Video Games

Every aspect of the original Core Design Tomb Raider series (and by extension the franchise's success post-Core) comes back to the grid that lies beneath it — the majority of the puzzles; the platforming; the cavernous chambers and ruins and outdoor areas that provide a sense of isolation, of...
Stella's Classic Tomb Raider Tips and Strategy
LEARN TO JUDGE DISTANCE. You can save a lot of time if you know how far Lara can go with each move. The game environment is built on a simple system of blocks. All the terrain is divided into these blocks, and each of Lara's moves covers a different number of blocks. If you learn these basics, you'll rarely misjudge a jump when it counts.
Death Stranding - Odradek Terrain Scanner - UE4 case study
"...I finished playing DS recently and thought 'how could I get this scanning effect in UE4?' and so I decided to try reconstruct it myself, so I'll share here with you how this is going and what I discovered during this adventure. (1) Scanning wave effect. (2) Outline around scanned objects. (3) Little colored symbols appear in superposition to indicate terrain steepness/danger... Find a way to detect harsh terrain/colliders somehow (no idea how to do that yet)... Set up object collision detection (probably a second render target, will see)... Finally got the collision/object detection working... Improve the original terrain grid and take steepness into account..."

It really comes down to automated platforming versus one that requires patience and skill. It's a problem these specific types of games haven't really solved. I can understand why some folks might find the originals clunky but they require a lot from the player in order to succeed and simply climbing a tall structure can be quite thrilling once you get the hang of it. In the modern games, climbing is basically busy work - there is no skill involved and no real challenge. It's just empty space between puzzles and combat. I'd like to see some sort of middle-ground solution.
[...] I feel there's two types of players when it comes to Death Stranding. Some will get an objective, and then just push up on the stick until they reach their destination. They'll get in bikes and trucks, and try to ram their way through rocky terrain because it's faster that way and they're carrying too much stuff anyway. The Dunkey way. DS is pretty casual and not very punishing, so you can get through the story like this. Then another player will get an objective, and start by looking at the map. What path should I take? What obstacles are on that path? What should my loadout be, so I have what I need but I'm not losing my balance? And on the way, maybe they'll stop to upgrade someone else's bridge. They'll build a postbox to stash their deliveries while they raid a MULE camp. And then using those resources from the camp, they'll construct roads. They'll measure the distances between mountaintops to determine optimal zipline placements. They spend time doing some standard deliveries, so they have important upgrades later on, and so on and so forth. [...]
[3m49s] ...if Sam starts to tip over you will see a little button prompt on the screen telling you to pull either the right or left trigger to lean right or left respectively by making Sam grab one or even both of his backpack straps. So here's the tiniest little fundamental tip that I can think of: these button prompts are not a QTE. Death Stranding is not inventing its backpack strap grab mechanic inside that exact instant that that tutorial tip pops up. You can grab your backpack straps -- left, right, or both -- even when the game is not telling you to. You can use the triggers to predict and preemptively compensate for accidental leaning that hasn't even happened yet. You're meant to be feathering on and off of each or both triggers throughout every foot journey...

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Ocarina of Time 3D (more debatable on MM3D)
MW 1-2 Campaigns remastered
Nathan Drake Collection
Halo 2 Anniversary

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Sure thing! :) In relation to the "is it just nostalgia" debate, I just wanted to highlight one thing that More_Badass noted, in his OP:

I'm also reminded that Dark1x of Digital Foundry weighed in, on the third page of More_Badass's thread:

Incidentally, Dark1x also had some positive comments on Death Stranding's handling of movement and traversal (also in his DF videos, here and here):

The Guitar Hero reference in the Bunnyhop video ("...my eyeballs are visually processing a chronological flow of gameplay information that looks like a completely natural and organic landscape...") is also pretty interesting.

In any hybrid grid mode, I imagine that enhancing the 'readability' of a more geometrically-complex, organic environment might be part of the challenge. Death Stranding has an interesting approach:

giphy.gif

Thank you for your efforts in collating that information.

I hadn't even thought of the Death Stranding comparison, but it makes so much sense. The idea that these games are "Tactical Action games" in the vein of Turn Based JRPGs is a lucid observation. That comparison works especially well with Death Stranding because of its "preparation" and "loadout" structure, evoking JRPGs. Each unit of traversal in Tomb Raider's grid system and platforming is like a turn in a JRPG.

And to top it all off you have writings from 2 of my favourite journalists in there.

In any hybrid grid mode, I imagine that enhancing the 'readability' of a more geometrically-complex, organic environment might be part of the challenge.

This is a spot on comment. I've always intuitively known this, but I could never quite describe it in words. I love your use of the word "readability". I think perhaps the word "tangibility" comes in as well. Readability for the level design's visual design and Tangibility for the actual interaction with the level design.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Really? It's the first time I hear something about this.
Occasionally I read about people complaining about the way the 3D version implemented the swim mechanic when in Zora form, but other than that nothing.
But despite that, I'd say the pros are way more than the cons.
yah i actually didn't get very far in it so I cant remember the exact changes but I know they took away some of the tension and consequence but i still remember thinking the quality of life improvements were worth it

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
i don't know if chrono trigger on ipad counts as it's really essentially a port but it's the version of the game that makes me realize I'll never need to plug in my super nintendo ever again. It's absolutely the best version of the game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The closest is the Resident Evil Remake, but that game is different enough that you can go back to the classic and still have a good time.

If the protagonist from the remake didn't look so fucking awkward, I would say SotC, but honestly, I think the PS3 version may be the better version just because of that.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get a lot of enjoyment by just looking what devs achieved in old ass original hardware so a remake never make original game pointless for me.

For instance, I want to play some Resident Evil on Saturn right now, and I played the remake and I loved it.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Castlevania the dracula x chronicles. Even if you don't like the change, the game also feature the original rondo of blood. It also has Symphony of the night.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
i don't know if chrono trigger on ipad counts as it's really essentially a port but it's the version of the game that makes me realize I'll never need to plug in my super nintendo ever again. It's absolutely the best version of the game.

the DS version is the best one as far as i know. on top of the inherent advantage of buttons, it comes with all the new content and the animated cutscenes

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Lol @ Ocarina of Time for the 3DS makes the original 1998 masterpiece for the N64 fucking obsolete. The atmosphere is too whimsically bright in certain areas that turns me the hell off.

Deleted member 37679

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Monkey Island?
You can play it with modernized visuals or stay with the classic art.
big plus, no need to change floppy disks constantly

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your efforts in collating that information. I hadn't even thought of the Death Stranding comparison, but it makes so much sense. The idea that these games are "Tactical Action games" in the vein of Turn Based JRPGs is a lucid observation. That comparison works especially well with Death Stranding because of its "preparation" and "loadout" structure, evoking JRPGs. Each unit of traversal in Tomb Raider's grid system and platforming is like a turn in a JRPG.

Appreciate those additional points, well said! Yeah, I feel like KojiPro must have had their hands full, designing the irregular terrain, helping the player to read that terrain (with the Odradek Scanner), deciding on how Sam would interact with the irregularities of the terrain, designing methods to have Sam's enemies reliably navigate that terrain (the subject of a cancelled GDC talk, incidentally), etc.

Coming back to the original Tomb Raider, just to highlight some of the discussion from the above-mentioned LTTP thread, from 2018:

I was still in the mood for more Tomb Raider after finishing Shadow and decided to check out the originals since I had never played them. [...] I totally get now what people were saying about the movement and jumping being grid-based. It sounded weird on paper but it is really intuitive in practice. It gives the platforming this technical structure that is unlike any other platformer I've ever played, the kind of methodical pacing that the Souls game crafted for its combat or a game like Duskers provided by having you control movement with command lines. As someone who has grown up playing N and Super Meat Boy, PoP: Sands of Time and Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider 1's approach to platforming feels utterly unique[...]
[...]The grid-based system feels like it is to typical platforming what turn-based design is to real-time combat, Much like how turn-based systems turns combat into a game of tactical positioning and balancing of numbers, the grid-based traversal turns what is usually automatic and fast and makes it precise and deliberate. Now I want some modern games to attempt this grid-based movement system. I'm honestly surprised that there are no modern indie games that have attempted to create a spiritual successor to classic Tomb Raider's movement, considering so many other classic styles of gameplay have been revived. We've had resurrections of 90s shooters, 3D platformers, CRPGs, point-n-clicks, arcade racers, and so on[...]
It's been fun adjusting to this. The fundamentals of the platforming turns the question of reaching secrets and other areas from "where is the route", the route that you then follow, but "how do I get there". You know the limits of your movement, study the landscape, measure gaps by eye, okay I think I can go that way and make those leaps. The movement and level design really captures that feeling of poking and prodding in these unknown places, carefully planning your next move, gamifying the caution and observation of an Indiana Jones or other adventurer, rather than simply having you fluidly race along obvious routes.

With regard to the "tangibility" point you raised:

This is a spot on comment. I've always intuitively known this, but I could never quite describe it in words. I love your use of the word "readability". I think perhaps the word "tangibility" comes in as well. Readability for the level design's visual design and Tangibility for the actual interaction with the level design.

From the Richard Moss podcast:

Gavin Rummery: [0m20s] "...becuase [the grid-based Level Editor I created] was so easy [for the Level Designers] to use... that's what made Tomb Raider [as] intricate as it was for the time, because the levels could be modified so easily... in some ways I do feel that's been lost... I love games like Uncharted and whatnot but you can tell that – I've looked into how they're doing it – and you can see that they have to just kind of design the path through the level and where you're going to be able to grab onto and where you're not, up front, and then the artist then just [makes] these fantastic-looking environments, but they're kind of restricted to what's been decided already... having that kind of easy way of building environments is obviously just not possible anymore..."
Richard Moss: [27m50s] "...the Tomb Raider Level Editor was released for free with the PC version of the 5th game, and it's still used by a passionate community of fan creators today, many of whom are involved in the level editing community because they don't see any other games that can scratch the same itch as the old-school Tomb Raider. And with their custom modifications and extensions to the editor, it's actually able to produce some incredible levels, and remarkably organic-looking environments, all while still adhering to that grid, that preserves the game's internal logic..."

From searching a bit just now, on the topic:
...Each room [in Classic TR] has two types of surface geometry — rendered and collisional. The former are what is seen, while the latter control how objects collide and interact with the world. Furthermore, these two types are specified separately in the room data — each type is completely independent of other, i. e. collisional geometry shouldn't exactly match visible room geometry. While this distinctive feature was never used in originals (collisional room "meshes" fully resembled visible room "meshes"), it is now extensively used by level editing community...

Room Geometry [TRWiki]