• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
MediEvil for sure for me.
I can't think of a single thing it didn't improve from the original.
Plus the original is included anyways lol

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
REmake 1 and maybe Black Mesa.
I'm one of those that believes that a remake should replace the original.
Offer what the original did but better and maybe expand it,if you're gonna bother to remake a game then do a better job and surpass the original in every aspect.
At least that's how i see it.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green are better than RBY in every conceivable way. Same for Heart Gold/Soul Silver. ORAS is better than Ruby/Sapphire.

Fire Emblem Echoes also completely outclasses Gaiden.

Oct 25, 2017
Easily Ys: Oath in Felghana. It makes Ys III completely pointless. It's one of the greatest remakes of all time and essentially turns Ys III from one of the worst games in the franchise to one of the best.

Even back then one of its only redeeming factors was the music, and it got an incredible OST modernizing the soundtrack from Ys III too:

Oct 31, 2017
I guess Mount & Blade Warband made everything about the original Mount & Blade pretty redundant.

Not sure about M&B 2 Bannerlords.
Despise buying it one month ago at launch I've yet to find any drive to actually play it at the moment.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Streets of Rage Remake has all 3 sor games in one plus new characters and stages and additions.

It is better in every way. It is the ultimate way to experience the originals.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see much to recommend playing the original Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei II as opposed to their SFC remake bundle.

These kind of things are always hard to say though because when you change a game's aesthetic, it never makes the original pointless as the original still has a unique visual identity. In that sense I think it's impossible for a remake to ever make an original game pointless. Now on the other hand if you have an enhanced edition like Ultimate DOOM, that's a little different.

EDIT: Also probably not worth playing the original incarnations of Wizardry I-III instead of their PS1 remake bundle.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories is by far a much better game than the Game Boy Advance original with full voice acting, cutscenes, and more content in general.

I'd also agree with Pokémon remakes being better than the originals -- except for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. FireRed and LeafGreen are better than Red and Blue, HeartGold and SoulSilver are better than Gold/Silver/Crystal, but Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire don't surpass Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald in terms of quality. They omit content from R/S/E whereas FR/LG and HG/SS only added things.

Plus, OR/AS couldn't even get the title theme right. They totally messed it up. When I heard it the first time, I knew it was a sign of bad things to come.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I am struggling to think of any reason to play Yakuza 2 over Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The_25th_Ward.jpg

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Just from a history and preservation standpoint, I don't think a game can can ever be "totally pointless".

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to prefer the originals if I played and enjoyed them first.

But since I was never that crazy about Ruby and Sapphire, I guess I'll say ORAS even though I know it's missing features from Emerald, but whatever.

Despite some improvements and more content, as a whole, I still prefer Yellow to it's remakes and Gold to it's remake. Something was lost in the atmosphere with some of those remakes for me and certain additions I just don't care for.

Enjoying FF7R, but whatever the hell that'll be when it's completed definitely won't replace the original.

I guess since Nightmare in Dreamland was my first Kirby, I don't really have a reason to go back to the original Adventure game.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I can think of is the Pokémon Red/Green remakes. I recently tried to play Yellow again and, my goodness, even the QOL changes make it hard to go back to Gen 1.

I can't think of any remake that makes the original redudant outside of that though. Shadow of the Colossus basically has two similar, but unique, experiences as a result of the remake, but both are great.

I also think some of the fan projects for Sonic 3 and Knuckles have made the original pretty much redundant as well, not sure if that counts though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami makes the first Yakuza PS2 pointless somewhat.

Unless you don't mind a clunky gameplay, stiff controls that make your wrists hurts, and/or atrocious English dub of the original.
The gameplay isn't that bad. Plus the PS3 HD port exists and fixed up parts of the combat/controls so that it feels better to play, aside from fighting Komaki who's still a pain in the ass. It also benefits from the Japanese voice track (well, its Japan only so no surprise there), adds some nice QoL improvements over the original (you never mentioned load times, which are the true issue with the original PS2 version, they are a nightmare with random encounters) and not to mention a few fights flow a little better originally - Shimano fight 1 is no longer a painfully long, boring slog of a fight, Majima's fights aren't watered down (his second story fight in Kiwami kinda sucks - he's supposed to use his dagger the entire fight, not switch to other stances throughout, makes the fight way too easy. Its also just a bit too bright in the basement of Shangri La during that second phase in Kiwami, loses the atmosphere of the original fight).
Oh, and no stupid healing bosses either. Huge plus.
Also, soundtrack, Kiwami's is not as good as the original.

Kiwami has a ton of improvements over the original, but at the same time it adds/changes a few things that mean I can't say Kiwami is the perfect replacement for 1. Both are worth playing. Its still closer than Yakuza 2 at least, which has a significant amount of stuff in the original that was excluded or changed for the worse.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
There's always going to be a a reason to go back to original releases, but if someone was interested in these games and has never played either the original or remake before, I'd recommend going with the remake since the story in all these games is mostly the same (especially for Twin Snakes) and the gameplay/QoL improvements make them easier to play and get into.
"Atmosphere" and "soul" only has relevance for nostalgic fans, who are just gonna play the originals anyway.

Imagine thinking that a game's atmosphere only exists in the realm of remakes. Atmosphere, charm, soul, these concepts apply to all video games and are incredibly important in making them more than what they are. Wow that came off as really pretentious.

Dragon Quest 3 SNES remake

This is a good one but the NES version has better music imo.

Really? The only reason I can think to play Kiwami 2 over Yakuza 2 is you don't need a PS2 or emulation capable PC. Kiwami 2 is a worse game in almost every way.

Not to derail but what's wrong with it? I beat Kiwami 2 this morning and loved it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think REmake isnt really a 100% replacement, as you'd miss that dialogue if you never played the original.

Crash and Spyro though? Yeah I will probably never go back to the originals tbh. 60fps mode in SotC is also a gamechanger, too good to go back

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil Remake completely obliterates the game it's based on, doing everything it did and better.
Not everything, the B run is worse in remake. It's meant to feel like these happen around the same time and that's how they did it in the original but here it's obvious they ran out of time as you'll end up redoing a lot of things in the exact same.manner as you did in A run.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything, the B run is worse in remake. It's meant to feel like these happen around the same time and that's how they did it in the original but here it's obvious they ran out of time as you'll end up redoing a lot of things in the exact same.manner as you did in A run.

The remake of the first game.

RE2make sucks.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Odin Sphere Leiftrasir

Final Fantasy VI Advance (also all the other old FF remakes on portable systems)

Chrono Trigger DS

All these Dragon Quest games on DS

HGSS obviously

I'm not done with it yet, but Persona 5 Royal may fall into this. The fact that it is translated in several languages other than English makes this version the obvious pick-up for many may people.

May 15, 2019
Not to derail but what's wrong with it? I beat Kiwami 2 this morning and loved it.
Worse combat, lesser soundtrack (the Kiwami 2 OST did not remake a handful of songs and just reuses the songs they did remake in those situations), an entire removed area (all story and side content from it was moved to Sotenbori), removed unique host and hostess minigames in favor of recycling the Yakuza 0 hostess minigame, removed a bunch of substories that were in the original version, and the new licensed song is awful and doesn't fit the mood of the original at all. As a huge fan of the original Kiwami 2 was incredibly disappointing, they clearly had limited time and budget.

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil Remake completely obliterates the game it's based on, doing everything it did and better.
Not quite. The original is still worth playing and has more entertaining dialogue and cutscenes. I would also argue the original has the superior "RESIDENT EVIL" voice guy. But yes the game part is better in just about every way.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I am struggling to think of any reason to play Yakuza 2 over Yakuza Kiwami 2.
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is pretty much the only thing I can think of.

Losing a few favorite tracks and sub-missions aside, Kiwami takes what many consider the best game in the series, and makes it even better.

Just... no. Kiwami 2 is a good game. I like it. But its hardly a remake that is good enough to make Yakuza 2 pointless to play. Like...

Well the combat for starters. 2 improved the combat over Yakuza 1 substantially and adds a ton of new moves to Kiryu's moveset. Additionally Kiryu can learn new moves just by exploring the game world and encountering specific little events (there's one with a cat jumping). Kiwami 2 instead of taking Kiryu's established moved set in 1 (or Kiwami 1) and then throws parts of it away, instead just copying Yakuza 6's combat. Which I kinda dislike them for doing this for continuities sake, but also because they still didn't add all his moves back into the game that were cut from 6. Also, the tiger drop is rubbish in Kiwami 2, but is fantastic in 2, which is a huge deal for me. Plus many weapons that would usually be found lying around in the streets (syringe, pliers etc.) are instead only purchasable from a weapons dealer in the Dragon Palace for some bizarre reason in Kiwami 2, I'd much rather have those in the streets to grab as a fight unfolds dynamically rather using them from my inventory. That's more a nitpick.
Also, AI in Kiwami 2 sucks, its vastly too easy, and the bosses also are pathetic, and take no time at all to beat. 2 actually had something akin to difficulty when playing it even on normal difficulty, on hard mode Kiwami 2, even with the champion ring is vastly too easy and fights end far too soon. Ruins certain fights for me - like Hayashi, Shindo, and especially the penultimate boss.
And then there's all the friendship heat moves that are just completely cut in Kiwami 2 as well, quite why that happened I don't know, there's notably less of them compared to the base game.
And personally, I just prefer the feel of 2's combat to Kiwami 2's. Its snappier, faster, lighter and all round just more responsive and fun, especially against bosses.

Then there's the cut area, granted its a small town area but its still cut, and its nice to visit during the story. It also meant all side stories relating to that area were cut.

Then you have Club Adam - one of the most fun side stories/mini games in the series for me, completely cut. Also, the Club Marietta side content is also cut in favor of cut/pasting the cabaret thing from 0, which at the time I was fine with, but honestly kinda annoys me after replaying it because they didn't really change the cabaret stuff in Kiwami 2 so it just felt a bit... repetitive. FOTNS had the right idea by introducing new mechanics and changing the pace/adding missions to keep it fresh. The plot for that bit was at least very entertaining in Kiwami 2 I'll give it that.

And other side stories/mini games that are cut, I still miss bowling for example... Though to be fair Kiwami 2 adds a nice amount of stuff over 2 as well, especially getting Karaoke, so its not so much a loss of content, but rather both games having notably unique content and side stories that each other don't have.

Then you have other changes, like Karou's original voice actress (actually a few VA's were replaced, not always for the better) and then you have whatever the heck they did to Takashima's character - described as the young up and coming Omi captain, to aging him by a good 20-30 years (at least) just so they could shoehorn in a famous face...
And again, the music... so many tracks get cut from 2 to Kiwami 2, there's quite a few unique boss or battle themes that are either completely changed or completely cut. And not to mention how they change up the music from Crazy Ken Band to SiM for a couple of very important cutscenes, Kiwami 2 definitely gets the short end of the stick audio wise.

Granted, most of this you'll never notice unless you compare both, and Kiwami 2 is a damn fine game in its own right. But in no way does it replace 2. If people are a fan of the series, 2 especially its well worth tracking a PS2 copy down to experience the original version. Or better yet, emulate it on PC so you fix the load issues, or just play the HD remaster on PS3 if you can understand Japanese, as again like Yakuza 1 its the definitive version of 2 with a few QoL changes here and there that make it a much better version than the PS2 original.

*edit* almost forgot the biggest change - The Omi HQ in Kiwami 2 no longer has that gorgeous reflective marble tiling in Ryuuji's first boss fight. Its replaced with lame unreflective surface which just looks far worse. Its a tiny change that kinda hurt my enjoyment of that boss fight, its just so pretty on the PS2.

Last edited:

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I kinda wanna say Trials of Mana?

That's mostly because the original is just so very broken and clearly rushed.

Whenever there is a shift from 2D to 3D in a remake, imo it then becomes a matter of taste.
If you prefer 2d, pixel art styled games then the SNES is still a better choice.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Well, there's no reason to going back to the N64 Zeldas with the 3d remakes.
The same goes for Metroid 2/Samus Returns and Gaiden/Echoes.
The 3ds did a lot of good in that department. The same goes for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess once their hs version came out on the Wii U.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
People have already mentioned HGSS so that needs no help from me <3

I do think FFIV DS and PSP makes the SNES version less needed. PSP version especially if you want it to look like the SNES version.

That is, if the PSP version was available on other consoles and systems.

Oct 25, 2017
Odin Sphere Leiftrasir

Final Fantasy VI Advance (also all the other old FF remakes on portable systems)

Chrono Trigger DS

All these Dragon Quest games on DS

HGSS obviously

I'm not done with it yet, but Persona 5 Royal may fall into this. The fact that it is translated in several languages other than English makes this version the obvious pick-up for many may people.
Some of those are just ports.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
REmake is different enough from the original that it really bothers me when I play it. I'll stick with the PS1 version. I prefer that scuzzier look the PS1 brings too.

Like they're different enough that I wonder how many people who think REmake is the same game have spent much time with the original. There's quite a few changes and it really threw me off the first time I played the new version.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I think the closest I've played are the Crash and Spyro trilogies as far as remakes go, but honestly no. At the very least it's interesting to go back and play them to get a better idea of what the remakes changed and accomplished, even if you don't like them as much.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Odin Sphere's a good pick, I would agree with that. I quite like the Dragon Quest remakes too, but I'm not too well versed in the original versions for some like III-V.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Shadow of the Colossus PS4. The original runs like ass, the PS3 version has grip issues, and the PS4 version has wonderfully crafted visuals and the smoothest feel.

I'll always recommend it as the definitive version to play.