• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is there a reason to purchase a Series X if you own a gaming PC?

• Yes

Votes: 462 49.0%
  • No

Votes: 480 51.0%

• Total voters

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
PC GP games aren't always in good shape so I get them on my SX instead and due to cross save, it works out brilliantly for me.

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatible games and Gamepass is a much better experience on SX compared to PC.

But if you are the kind of user that picks his own games to play instead of what's offered, it's probably not for you. The good thing about Microsoft right now, is that they give CHOICE to everyone.

Hollow Palm

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Yes until MS decides Game Pass should be same on both platforms. Which is probably never happening so yes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I have both. I use my Series X far more because my gaming PC is for games I prefer to play at a desktop setting and my Series X is for couch gaming on the C9. Different rooms, different uses. And no, I'm not hooking my PC up to my main TV or having it in the living room.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I bought it because I can't get a GPU for a normal price. If I get one, I'll sell the console.

However, if you want a more accessible way to play games (turn it on, play a game, no fiddling around), it might be worth it.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
if i had a capable pc, probably not.

my idea was to buy a 3000series gpu and use pc as gamepass device.
as expected couldn't find one, bought sx without much trouble.

now whenever i read about gamepass pc issues, or subpar pc ports, i feel fine it went this way.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Voted no, but the one exception is if you have another big TV somewhere else in the house you want to game on and can't easily get your PC running on it with Steam Link or something and don't want to buy a second gaming PC for it.

I skipped Xbox 1 for most of last gen (sold one after getting a PC) and PC was fine for playing Xbox. I just didn't end up really enjoying any of the differences of PC gaming (liked few exclusives, not that fussy about having best graphics/performance, didn't like messing with mods, didn't like kb/m controls etc.) so I just went back to having all 3 consoles. But yeah, if I'd opted to upgrade/replace the PC no way I'd have an XSX.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing the extra $500+ for a Series X will get you, if you have a capable PC. PC already plays Xbox's games, has Game Pass, and plays a shit ton of games Xbox doesn't.

Xbox brings nothing to the table. A Steam Deck would be a better addition.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I have an OLED TV and a 5.1 surround system so I like the flexibility of being able to play the same library (Game Pass) on both TV/computer without having to buy every game twice. I could hook up my computer to my TV but it's a little underpowered at the moment, so I'll wait on upgrading then probably move or sell my XSX.

Plus, it's nice to have a 4K UHD Blu-Ray player.

There's a ton of overlap, for sure, but the console hardware will retain some value and I don't need to buy software twice so I think it's a fair trade off.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
It does lessen the need for one a fair amount, particularly if you only care about playing Xbox first party games.

Can see some buying one for reasons like:
  • wanting a second setup in another room without buying another PC
  • access to the OG Xbox/360 back compat library
  • because some big third party games skip PC game pass.

Jul 1, 2020
I have both and use my Series X more than my PC. Sometimes games come to Game Pass on console only and then PC later or never. I like having the convenience of a console experience when I'm short on time to play.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
As an owner of a 3700x/3070 gaming PC, a i7/3060 gaming laptop and a Series S and X, the consoles simply offer a very different experience.

Low level APIs have led to a plague of shader compilation stutter that now means a lot of performance issues simply can't be brute force past on PC and if you just want a smooth, consistent 60fps then a Series X can often be the better option.

Quick resume, seamless cloud saves across your entire library, no third party launchers, 360 BC, there's plenty of reasons you'd want to opt for a console.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Absolutely.

Gears of War and other BC titles. PC ports are all too often trash. Game pass on Xbox is more reliable and won't fuck up your hard drive. It's easier to use. Controller integration is better - more stable controller connection and low battery warning. Physical games. Quick resume. Standardized cloud saves. Sometimes it's just nice to play on a console rather than using a PC, the same thing you're using all day at work.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Yes. I have an OLED TV and a 5.1 surround system so I like the flexibility of being able to play the same library (Game Pass) on both TV/computer without having to buy every game twice. I could hook up my computer to my TV but it's a little underpowered at the moment, so I'll wait on upgrading then probably move or sell my XSX.

Plus, it's nice to have a 4K UHD Blu-Ray player.

There's a ton of overlap, for sure, but the console hardware will retain some value and I don't need to buy software twice so I think it's a fair trade off.

This is my use case right here. I'm a home theater enthusiast and that's what I utilize my consoles for. 4K HDR + 7.1 surround sound (though unfortunately no OLED or Dolby Atmos for me yet). I have my PC with three monitors and a 3060 Ti in my room for multitasking/productivity purposes but if I just want to relax on the couch and immerse myself, I go outside to my living room.

Outside of the home theater perspective, I love Quick Resume and use it to shuffle in and out of games all the time. Microsoft Rewards / Game Pass quests on console are extra nice as I've been accumulating roughly 20K points per month.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
An insane part of me kind of wants to do it because the best running version of Lost Judgment is technically on Series X.

Oct 6, 2020
If your PC is in the weak side or you want current gen in another room, but I would (and do) just go Nintendo/Sony for that, to get those exclusives too

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
If you have a good PC, no. If you have a good PC and aren't too lazy to setup Steam Link for couch gaming, no. Otherwise yes.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Only if your gaming PC is a lot weaker in specs and you don't want to spend $2000+ on a current gen build.
Yes, for the most part.

I think the fact all XGS games coming out day and date on both Xbox and PC is a great reason to focus on either platform and be good. But with the state of the GPU market, a new PC's value proposition is a lot less attractive imo. So if I had to choose which to buy today, I'd go with a Series X.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I'm planning on getting one solely for Gamepass Ultimate and 360 back compat

I wanna play Red Dead Redemption in a resolution that isn't 720p for once

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Bought a Series X despite having a PC. Mostly play on the X, but only because I have an RX 580.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a substantial digital library, as I do, then yes. There are other reasons, but that was my primary reason.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Sure, if you want the luxury of ease of access multiple tvs etc.

Also some PC ports still suck. See Elden Ring for example.

Does the port actually suck or is it just not to the high standards of pc gamers? Like I've seen some pretty direct ports from console that run as well on console as PC and people claim that's a bad port. I'm not here to debate whether it is but if it's that what you consider a bad port then I don't consider it a reason to play console over PC.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If you have a library of 360/One games to use the backwards compatibility for

This is my answer too. There are plenty of excellent Backwards compatible titles that also got boosted on the One X and Series X over the years which are completely unavailable on PC not counting emulation.

Stuff like Rare Replay, Ridge Racer 6, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden Black and the non-Sigma version of Ninja Gaiden 2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Fable 2, Crackdown 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 1 through 4, the original Saints Row and 2 (Saints Row 2 IS on PC however the port is littered with issues), this being small sample size of what is available not on PC.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it entirely depends on how powerful your PC is. A "gaming PC" can range from a build with a 960 to a build with a 3080.

I'm very happy with my Series X despite owning a gaming PC because I've been having performance issues on newer PC games like Outriders, Forza Horizon 5, and the Ascent that run flawlessly on the Series X. But I have a 1070 and a second generation Ryzen 5. If I had a 3070 or something, a Series X would probably have a lot less appeal to me right now.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say no, and that's Microsoft's intention. With their streaming and PC gaming efforts, it's clear that they don't care where you play their games, so long as you're using their services.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
BC but even then not really. You could get a much cheaper X1 for that, but Steam and emulation have you covered for most games you would want to play.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Does the port actually suck or is it just not to the high standards of pc gamers? Like I've seen some pretty direct ports from console that run as well on console as PC and people claim that's a bad port. I'm not here to debate whether it is but if it's that what you consider a bad port then I don't consider it a reason to play console over PC.

There are actual legitimate problems with the port of Elden Ring on PC regardless of hardware you have. Case in point I have an RTX 3080 and an i9 9900k with no magnetic storage, NVMe SSDs only which is substantially beyond the recommended requirements and I've experienced my controller becoming completely unresponsive, stutters and substantial frame drops (I'm running the game with shadows and grass at medium and this is at 1080P no less, which is lower than my usual resolution of 1440P), this doesn't factor black screens and random crashes to desktop. Elden Ring on PC needs to be fixed.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 9700/3080 and bought it from cd keys, so non refundable unlike Steam. Played the pc version for a bit Friday. About about an hour later bought the same game on Xbox. Game still isn't perfect on Xbox but not the stuttering mess of the pc version was. So unless something changes where the stuttering is gone on pc, I'll just be playing it on the Xbox. This is an edge case as most of pc ports can exceed the console equivalent but this is a scenario where the pc version in current state has issues.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I use it for older BC games, 4K Blu-Ray playback and streaming box on TV. Plus occasional games I just like playing on console for some reason :).

Oh and it can be a better Elden Ring box vs PC 😃.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
- Amazing multiplayer crossplay device with PC (play Halo, Sea of Thieves, Outriders with one GP account in the same house)
- Seamless crossave. Keep PC in the office, Series X in the living room, Series S in the bedroom. Access your save games instantly from anywhere.
- Lots of essential BC games - Panzer Dragoon Orta, Red Dead Remption 4K, Sonic Generations 4K 60, Otogi 1 and 2, Timesplitters 2 and 3, Rare Replay etc.
- Amazing, seamless, and incredibly reliable cloud save system for every game (does elden ring on PC even support cloud saves?). Save file integrity is hugely important to my gaming needs.
- Quick Resume
- Ease of use, way better in the living room
- Because the biggest problem with Game Pass is having too many awesome games, and having more places to continue and play those is often incredibly valuable
- Because Series X has many incredible versions of games that sometimes perform better than on PC (see Elden Ring), or have better online player bases with less cheating, and players predominantly play on controller.
- Often get major Game Pass games that are Xbox only, like MLB the Show 22, Kingdom Hearts 3 (same for PC with Crisader Kings 3, Disgea etc)

I have a PC, Series X, and Series S. I'll often play or buy games on Xbox over other platforms simply because they are easier to access, and I know my save files will be there for me, and still be there years from now.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I have a gaming PC but I really don't like gaming on it anymore. I built it a decade ago and have upgraded it occasionally to just keep up, but I mostly use it for dev now, or the odd VR game / kind of game that only really plays well on PC (RTS, mmo).

If you like PC gaming though, probably not.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Not very much reason, no. That being said: a lot of the more recent Game Pass games (excluding EA Play) have been Xbox Play Anywhere games, wherein your saves and progress instantly and seamlessly transfer over, and it's reasonable to assume that almost all future first party games will

And then there were also quite a few console exclusive 7th gen games and a lot of the BC OG Xbox games are exclusives as well, and so I feel like that's probably the best way to play those games considering PC Emulation isn't quite there.

But realistically, you don't really need one. I've got one cause I've got a collection of 360/OG Xbox games and it's the best way to play most of them, and the handful of game pass games I play with cross save (though this number has been increasing to the point where games without it, like Cristales, become an annoyance) has been nice there's also usually nothing stopping me from just playing the games in my bedroom in my computer and not being able to sit down on the sofa and play it on the Xbox.

All the Xbox games come to PC these days anyway

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
When GP first started there were a number of good games that weren't on PCGP so it made a lot of sense to have both

I still think it's worth it for BC alone. You can play a lot of older games that don't have a PC port and even are enhanced by MS's BC features

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring is a situation that I'd consider an issue, meaning it's performance on PC. I got burned by Unreal Tournament 2004 and I never quite got past that.

Also, I still prefer physicals so I get them on XSX even though my pc is more powerful.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
My stance on this used to be a hard 'no', but now I'm pretty tempted to get a Series X. My PC is a gaming laptop with a 1070 that's over 4 years old at this point and probably due for an upgrade from the gaming standpoint. Thing is the computer otherwise works fine (for the most part) so I'm not in a huge rush to go out and spend $1500+ for either a new gaming laptop or desktop with more modern specs. In the meantime, I do have Game Pass which I've enjoyed on PC, but still feel that's a better experience on a Series X. Both from better looking and performing games, and not having to run into those potential game install issues (personally haven't had this issue, but definitely a concern nonetheless).

I probably will get a new PC at some point, but just not in a huge rush to do so at the moment, and leaning towards getting a Series X (whenever they're in stock) in the meantime to get a better Game Pass experience and I suppose also to play the occasional BC game.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
You can play one of the best games ever, Ninja Gaiden Black, in 4K. That's reason enough. As well as over 700 lesser games.
Yup! I just played it last night for the 1,000th time, haha. My favorite game ever and I would purchase a Series S or X just to play it if I was the OP.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
No. The only reason I can think of is backwards compatibility, but an Xbox One would do the job just fine and cost a lot less.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
You underestimate my laziness.
It is legitimately worth it to me to be able to game on my TV or another TV without having to move a PC around. It would be worth it to me to buy a second series X to play on an upstairs TV if I didn't have the PC.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
i prefer playing in general on serie x than my pc ( 3070ti with 16giga ans ryzen 1600x).
both are on on my tv, it just feel better to play on console with quick resume etc…
i like playing on pc, and i have a huge library on steam and gamepass too. ( so happy about the steal deck, i should get mine on april ! ).

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Depends on your use case. If you have the need for multiple gamers in the house, if sometimes you prefer to have the ability to game in another place other than where your gaming PC, if you want to play split screen games, etc then a Series X can be useful

Sep 7, 2020
Depends on the experience you want. We have one of these threads every couple of months. If you like having a couch and easy to boot experience then get a console. If you want something alittle more customizable and want more options then go with a PC for the extra price. I have both and use them differently.