• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
When it first came out I got about 20 hours in, but fell away from it. I'm starting it up again from the beginning, but I kind of want to get the battle system down better this go around. Scouring Youtube and Google seems like there's combat guides, but they're all mixed reviews. Anyone have an idea of where to look for a solid guide on the combat that's easy to understand and informative?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think this one is pretty simple. The combat is a lot to take in with or without a guide so don't worry that much if you don't get it instantly.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
I feel like the official thread in the hangouts forum had a great explanation that helped me back when I was playing it.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
User warned: driveby
I have a guide to making Xenoblade 2 enjoyable.

It's called... play something else.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQZ-wE9V4AI8Yho

1. Auto attack to Build up Arts
  2. Use Arts to build Special Attacks
  3. Use Special Attacks in the pyramid chart (top Right) to build up a Special Combo
  4. Chain Attack for Massive Damage

Last edited:

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I have my issues with Xenoblade 2, but they're not with the combat system. The shitty map system makes the game almost unplayable, and it's the main reason that I (as a person who played the shit out of the first one) hasn't been motivated to finish 2.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I believe there was a thread on Resetera dedicated to the battle system. That helped me a lot.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/ArchTalko/status/940732602490720256 this was a thing I used a lot until I memorized it after using it so much.

As for structurally understanding xenoblade 2 it's actually not that hard the ingame tutorials are just absolute garbage and overcomplicate the system with bad explanations.

I'm trying to summarize from memory so people feel free to correct me if I say something wrong but in essence,
you have 2 attack paths to go down. One are elemental combos. The twitter thing I linked states how the chains work but essentially every elemental part of a combo I think puts down an elemental debuff on the enemy that can be cashed in for extra dmg during I believe it was called chain link? The thing were you basically break these orbs with the corresponding element.
The other part was driver combos I think those mostly afflict short disables on enemies and honestly I was mostly using it to get more loot because the last part of a driver combo has like a pinhata effect.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Enel was a big help for me when I got through the opening parts of the game for figuring out the synergies and stuff. He has a lot of guides for making some of the best Blades broken:

Keep in mind majority of the combat isn't fully open until a bit of the ways in the game so even if you watch a guide a lot of stuff will be slower/less fun until later when you have plenty of blades on each party member and such.

The rule of thumb is to use enough blades to have an answer for every combo, as someone else posted this chart earlier:

Time your arts with your combat hits like a rhythm game, unlock your affinities to give you more chaining potential, and use driver combos when you can. Break > Topple > Launch > Smash arts are indicated as such on every driver, and the AI in the game is pretty clever in how it prioritizes such.

Build your companions to benefit you the player and the AI will never fail. But if you don't keep in mind what the AI is doing you may screw yourself over. For example if you give Nia a healer role but give her a break art, she may not switch blades for elementals or heal the group when she should because the AI tries to prioritize setting up driver combos for you and the team.

It's a lot of trial and error and figuring out what the AI is trying to do, but later when the affinity is unlocked and you get more blades the AI can ALMOST fight on its own and is there to supplement you the player, so consider it more like controlling three characters at once versus being one party member of three. The AI in the game is insanely smart in most regards and I love talking about the fight system so if you have any specific questions feel free to hit me up. I can't hit the numbers Enel can consistently but I love the game.

But like I said unfortunately the battle system and its amazingness takes a while to get to, because at the beginning you'll be forced to take it slow. In the opening hours I recommend moving the analog stick on your character to slightly move them after the first hit in their autoattack, restarting their auto attack chain. This lets you build up arts super fast by sort of nudging it and making the combo quickly repeat itself. It's a good way to generate arts in the opening hours before you get further in the game.

ALSO don't underestimate generic blades. They try to get you with the gacha system and rare blade stuff but trust me the right driver blade combos can make all the difference.

Last thing before I stop rambling is make sure to look at arts for each blade on each driver. One character might have different movesets for the same blade on another character, and all blades have 4 arts per character, meaning that one is always left off your default combo, and it's sometimes a really good attack. Keep an eye on what each is meant to do and what they can do for your builds.

For example Nia is good with Bitballs, ether cannons, and glaives because they all have healing skills, while the same blade would give Rex subpar attacks. Shield Hammers and Katanas are good for tanking usually, and spears and axes are good for damage. Each driver connect to each of these weapon types differently. It's really fleshed out.

Great contribution, pat yourself on the back.

https://twitter.com/ArchTalko/status/940732602490720256 this was a thing I used a lot until I memorized it after using it so much.

As for structurally understanding xenoblade 2 it's actually not that hard the ingame tutorials are just absolute garbage and overcomplicate the system with bad explanations.

I'm trying to summarize from memory so people feel free to correct me if I say something wrong but in essence,
you have 2 attack paths to go down. One are elemental combos. The twitter thing I linked states how the chains work but essentially every elemental part of a combo I think puts down an elemental debuff on the enemy that can be cashed in for extra dmg during I believe it was called chain link? The thing were you basically break these orbs with the corresponding element.
The other part was driver combos I think those mostly afflict short disables on enemies and honestly I was mostly using it to get more loot because the last part of a driver combo has like a pinhata effect.
I feel like Chain attack spam isn't as relevant in the beginning because especially if you adjust enemy hp values nothing really lives long enough for chain attacks aside from bosses, and the first half of the game most players aren't grinding for blades like my dumb ass did so they might not have the elemental spread they need for breaking orbs.

Not to mention you only have Tora and Poppi as your tank at first/for the first parts of the game leaving only two characters with full customization which limits your options until you get party members4 and 5.

Last edited:

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Check the OT, pretty sure that has links to all the relevant combat info.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I understand why they did the gatcha stuff, even if I don't agree with it. I don't understand why they don't just let you easily transfer the non unique blades from one character to another. I know you can with an item, but especially early on it would go a long way to allowing you to experiment with combos.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
When it first came out I got about 20 hours in, but fell away from it. I'm starting it up again from the beginning, but I kind of want to get the battle system down better this go around. Scouring Youtube and Google seems like there's combat guides, but they're all mixed reviews. Anyone have an idea of where to look for a solid guide on the combat that's easy to understand and informative?
what the others said but also...
www.resetera.com

Xenoblade 2 |OT2| THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME!? DON'T FORGET ME!

An OT is meant to cover a wide variety of topics: level design, music, combat, battle system, story, voice acting, framerate, etc. This is not possible when one subject overwhelms all others. While it’s okay to mention your thoughts on the controversial character designs of the Blades, this is...